Rust cover up? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw this 06’ lx470 undercarriage looks too good to be true only 130k miles. Almost looks painted over. What do you think? Appreciate any help! Car is from Wisconsin

98E8F2C9-9E81-4931-B48C-2AB4C9538E11.jpeg

DB6A0C94-4D0D-46DD-82BE-F895350E4A68.jpeg

Look at the rear most section of the front metal skid plate……if that’s the only pic they wanna send you of the undercarriage than you know the reason. But I wouldn’t even need to see the rest of it based on what you posted.

Looks painted.

Yup it’s painted over. Tell tale is the differential housing, look at the rust scales even from the distance of the camera (approx 6-7 feet away) it’s clear enough it has rust underneath that fresh black paint. Also check at the LCAs, scales of rust underneath the paint.

And a shiny new aftermarket muffler :) When I was looking for a rust free cruiser, most of the undercoated/painted frame examples looked like this. Corrosion evident under the paint and almost all of them had a pretty new muffler since the old ones had rusted out.

Just completely avoid a Wisconsin vehicle... yes, painted over.

not to mention the clearly aftermarket muffler, which means the OEM one likely rusted out completely

Hard pass on this one for me. Significant corrosion that's been painted over.

As for the muffler, even in a no salt environment they can rust out pretty quick if it's in a cold climate and driven very short distances. With temps in the high 30's or low 40's, you'll still get condensation coming out of the muffler for the first few minutes. And if it doesn't run long enough to dry everything out, the muffler will still have moisture in it and rust from the inside out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom