Rubicon Solar Power Experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to Cruiserdrew for starting this thread and providing all the information. I too have a Engel MT45 and Renogy 100W panel. But I had bought the Renogy bundle that came with their charge controller.

I always thought something was odd the few times I used this set-up. The batteries were not holding up (2X 245 a-h golf cart batteries.) So based on this thread I threw good money after bad and bought the MorningStar controller. Basically in a nutshell the Renogy controller was never charging the batteries above 12.7V - so from a usable energy point of view I was down quite a bit to start the camping trips. And even then not being able to utilize the available sunlight during the day.

So now with the panel connected to the batteries in the back yard for a few days the batteries are holding a much higher voltage. And it took a few days of full sun to get there - so I was never realizing the full potential of 140 lbs of batteries.

Dry camping 4th of July week so that will be the litmus test with the weather we've been having. Warm beer sucks!

Thanks again,

Eric

This thread has been incredibly helpful. I am going to get my rack up on my 80 this weekend. I had @reevesci build me an INTI clone with a slide out for my solar panel. I just got my dual battery set up finished up a couple of weeks ago so I'm looking forward to getting this part nailed down.

I was originally thinking of hardwiring my solar panel straight to the controller but I think I will use the Anderson Powerpoles. I really like them after using them for my fridge. I have the spot for my controller figured out and will run a short lead off of it to a power pole. Thinking of putting a Y in for two power poles so I can add an additional solar panel on the ground if needed. Am I reading correctly that this is doable?

Thanks for the compliments.

I can update the thread with Rubicon experience, year two, with this set up:

image-jpg.1236339

This worked great at Rubithon over this last week. Here are the details:

I used an app for calculating optimum elevation angle and came up with 11 degrees on June 23rd. When we got to Buck Island Lake, I parked the truck facing north, and elevated the panel to 11 degree facing south. This worked surprisingly well. I sat there without running the truck for 4 days.

I was also running 2 refrigerators. One was my Engel 45 from 2003 and one was an older Engel that drew almost double the power and amps. My daily power use went from roughly 20 amp hours to 50 amp hours. Since this panel was capable of supplying almost 10 amps, 6 hours per day, and lesser amounts as the sun rose and fell, there was still plenty of power to run the 2 refrigerators and lighting maybe 2 hours per night. Plus the usual charging radios, and the like.

Anyway, the bigger panel supplies so much power, that really there is no need to tilt it. For summer time use, at my latitude, flat on the roof is good. In the winter, it would be different. The best I saw with the 160 watt panel was 9.9 amps at 14 volts, so that's almost 140 watts into the battery. Not bad, but it takes noon sun to do that.

Regarding charge controllers, I have now fully trialed, the Morningstar SunSaver10 and the "Eco-worthy" MPPT 20 amp controller. In almost all circumstances, I the like the Morningstar better. The MPPT controller is marginally more efficient, but since it does not stay at absorb voltages more than a few seconds, I prefer the less expensive (and theoretically less efficient Moringstar) that stays at absorb voltage until the charging amperage trails off.

The bottom line is, I had PLENTY of power for my loads, and for keeping the battery fully charged at all times. With the 160 watt panel, the 2 fridges, and other minor loads, my batteries would be recharged by 10 am, and then the panels would run the fridges the rest of the day, leaving the batteries at fully charged condition.

After my rubithon experience last week and all the solar setups I saw, it's time for me to pull the trigger. And mrs surfpig even approves! I'll probably go with Andy's V.1 and the Renogy 100W panel/upgraded controller or somesuch.

:cheers:

What are some good weather proof connectors? I have the Renology 100W panels and I'm looking for a convenient way to connect them to the controller. I don't expect this to get wet, but you never know with an outdoor set up.

I do have some gray Anderson plug connects from another project.

Weatherpack or Deutsch connectors. Use them both. Like the Deutsch connectors better but they are more expensive. I made an "extension cord" for my PV & controller using the Weatherpack connectors so I can avoid the long coil of wire when not needed...and visa versa.

Thanks, I have some beat up outdoor extension cords I plan on using. I just need to figure out if their gauge is large enough for the distance. I'd like it to be at least up to 50 ft.

Just for some hi$torical perspective...

In the 90s I purchased two Seimens 75 watt panels 2 years apart. This was THE mono crystalline 75w panel to get at the time.

image.jpeg

My first panel cost $450. Two years later the next one I got for $425.
They put out about 4.2A each in noon Baja MX sun. Never saw more than 8+ amps going into the battery, angling the panels directly at the sun.

So 8 amps of solar charging back then cost over $900 (tax) & today you can pick up a 160 watt panel for $160.

I wish the price of new Land Cruisers followed that trend...

Regarding connectors-I don't put a huge priority on weather tight. The reason, it's only 12 volts, my install is not permanent, and the powerepoles are easy and cheap to replace.

It would make more sense to have weather tight connectors in a permanently installed solar system.

Weatherpack connectors are cheap (< $10 for a 4 connectors, pins & insulators) and readily available too...more so than Powerpoles. I use all three (Deutsch, Weatherpack & Powerpoles); but there's no downside to having weather tight connections in anything that gets used outdoors. :meh:

I never bothered to see how people have their setups hooked to the battery. I want something that's portable, so maybe just jumpers to the terminals. Or maybe a set of powerpoles wired in and also have a set of jumpers handy.

:hmm:

I never bothered to see how people have their setups hooked to the battery. I want something that's portable, so maybe just jumpers to the terminals. Or maybe a set of powerpoles wired in and also have a set of jumpers handy.

:hmm:

Come over and I'll help you sort it out.

I want to express my thanks to Andy for charging my main battery in the springs with his panels. I’ll be bringing my “real panels” from now on. It’s nice not to have to start the truck in camp everyday.
I bought my share of Anderson adapters, I’ll be switching over most of my electronics to the Anderson plugs.

But, there is always room for improvement. On that note, I present an idea and I hope to blow Andy’s mind here.

How about a…. roof mounted auto azimuth tracking solar panel. I’m sure we can make it over a weekend.

see sketch

IMG_1623.JPG

I'm all in. That would be super fun to build. Max efficiency dawn to dusk.

Mind blown. Even in winter say in Death Valley, we could generate enough power to be self sufficient.

And thinking about it, it would allow you to park in any convenient orientation. As things stand now, for max efficiency I need to park north/south.

Last edited:
aww, c'mon, you need elevation too!
Nothing that an Arduino couldn't take care of in a few lines of code. :D

I just use a folding panel on the ground pointed at the sun with ~20 - 30' of cable, so can park in some shade (if available) and place the panel facing the sun. Given the fridge has beer, it's not like I'm going to be far from the vehicle and not able to re-orient the panel a few times per day (or more when visiting the fridge to check on the beer)....

cheers,
george.

I want to express my thanks to Andy for charging my main battery in the springs with his panels. I’ll be bringing my “real panels” from now on. It’s nice not to have to start the truck in camp everyday.
I bought my share of Anderson adapters, I’ll be switching over most of my electronics to the Anderson plugs.

But, there is always room for improvement. On that note, I present an idea and I hope to blow Andy’s mind here.

How about a…. roof mounted auto azimuth tracking solar panel. I’m sure we can make it over a weekend.

see sketch

View attachment 1285553

Classic Rick engineering.

:)

Or this :D

solar-car.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom