RTT to Trailer Progression: Hows the hundy like it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After the trek to Colorado (and desire to make many, many more), I'm heavily considering the progression from my RTT to Trailer.

My thoughts are that instead of increasing the height/resistance of the truck by almost 25%, I'm thinking that 750lbs of more weight on wheels, would be more heavily favored by the truck, producing better MPG, etc... not to mention ease of setting up a base camp, ability to haul more gear, and not be quite as top heavy.

Right now I'm leaning towards a M416 Home Brew, or something similar.

Who else has made this transition, and what are your impressions, pros, cons, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Trailers...I had one and enjoyed it! However, I sold it and would never go back to towing something...The cruiser will do well pulling it; especially a small one like you are referring too...However, you are still pulling something. Really depends on your travels...For example, I traveled from Aspen to Telluride all on high mountain passes, etc. Nothing I would take a trailer on...Could it have made it? Depending on the trailer; yes. But, I can think of one spot on the Engineer Pass that would have been a no go.

If you like to base camp and go out for the day; you will enjoy it!

Are you going to be on Forrest service roads and paved roads or offroad? I have an offroad pop-up and love it. I'll take it on dirt roads but not much more...it was just too expensive to mess up! I get 11-12 mpg with a stock lx470, 3800lb trailer, gear, and kids. You cant even tell the trailer is back there. Do it and sell it if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I'm on the same fence that you are. It's so appealing to see the trailers with their quick deployment kitchens, large fuel and water capacity, storage, and RTT. For some trips this would be the ultimate.

Coming down Black Bear, however, not so much.

If you had a trailer with a separate RTT you could deploy either way and have the best of both worlds.

An Australian 4x4 Magazine did a test on this and the trailer barely affected gas mileage, while the RTT made a huge difference.

I'd get a Ruger Trailer. My friend is building a military trailer himself, then saw the price of a Ruger trailer and was pissed. You probably can't build one for $3000.

Just finished a 3450 3 week trip with my trailer. I could not have done the trip without it. With three kids the trailer allowed us to bring whatever we wanted and not be packed inside the cruiser with gear. We averaged between 11 and 11.5 mpg on the highway on 285's. I may drop the trailer when the kids move out, a minimum of 14 years. Lol

image-2342202735.jpg

image-2342202735.jpg

Derek I think you are on the right track...I paid close attention to all the RTTs and tent/trailer setups at 100s/Hills and came away thinking I needed a trailer/tent combo before next year.

The ability to leave it setup at a base camp while out driving seems to be the best of all options. Not to mention freeing up space in your truck.

I've been looking at the Ruger's myself for a while...With a couple options, you could get into an expedition setup with them for around $3500...throw your tent on top and done!

http://rugertrailers.com/gallery.html

I've been looking at the Ruger's myself for a while...With a couple options, you could get into an expedition setup with them for around $3500...throw your tent on top and done!

http://rugertrailers.com/gallery.html

I looked at these as well. The trick is that the Ruger price point is so attractive, that it makes me wonder if I want to spend the winter learning how to weld together an M416.

In the end however, I wouldnt have half as much trouble drilling a hole in the M416 for a water spigot as I would with the new, shiny, $3k+ Ruger.

Let me know if you come across a set of 4 Alloy OEM wheels... we can split the pair!

And Josh's setup was definitely a cool consideration as well...

Thanks. There are definitely pros and cons with a trailer and a RTT. I loved my RTT on the truck, but it seemed like every time we got somewhere and set up, we would need the truck (night run, fishing etc). Once set up you are kind of stuck. Obviously for runs like BB and Engineer, the trailer will hinder you and the RTT is better on the truck. I have seen some videos of trailers being pulled up some nasty trails though. I migrated to a trailer that I built for two purposes: the RTT and carrying an ATV. I cut the axle off and added a 3,000 lb torsion axle, custom fenders, 33's and RTT rack. I am now selling this trailer and the ATV in pursuit of a dedicated off road trailer for the RTT. Mine is good for a base camp, but way too big to off road anything other than FS roads.

Good luck

Cowboy59
Small world here at Mud.
Did see your very impressive trailer/rtt across Kansas last week. I was driving my green Tacoma . Now you have me looking at Cascadia Tent products and trailers options for my 100. I really like the robust (dry bag) type of material that Cascadia offers after seeing yours. How long does it take set up your rtt system?

I am currently in the process of building an m416. I just looked at the ruger trailers website. I will admit that the pricing is nice. If I didn't have a welder and a little knowledge of how to weld, then I might consider one of their trailers. I can say though that if I didn't find my trailer in as good condition that it was for the price I found it, I think I too could be kicking myself for not getting a ruger. The tough thing about getting a military trailer is finding one in decent condition for a reasonable price. Hopefully everything will be ready for a shakedown run this weekend. I will post pictures of it when I get back.

I'm planning on turning my M101
picture.php

into something like this (inspiration from a fellow mud member)
picture.php

I have a more traditional popup camper that I've turned into more of a offroad/toy hauler.. it probably weighs 2800 pounds. My mileage pulling the trailer is never better than 12, usually 10-11. I also have a RTT- the big Camping Lab one, which must be 14" tall. My mileage with the RTT is never less than 12, in fact 14 isn't uncommon, we got 14.5 coming back from Ouray, and that included some dirt travel as well as a pretty decent mountain pass. Short answer is my mileage is measurably better with the RTT than when pulling the trailer.

Picture of the rtt...
_MG_4935-X3.jpg

Picture of the rtt deployed... :)
attachment.php

In hindsight the trailer would have been the better choice for 100s/hills as I gave myself a lot of practice setting up and putting away a wet tent. It really wasn't that bad though, and the more I use the RTT the better I'm getting at it. Now when there's a wife, both kids, and motorcycles involved, the RTT stays hung in the garage.

Picture of the camper...
attachment.php

Perhaps not a true apple to apple here, as a lot of these offroad trailers are likely 1000 pounds lighter than the popup. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Thought you were showing the beer selection.

Those Ruger Trailers really are a great price. One question though, it seems like if you have an RTT on top it would be important to be able to access the fridge from the rear door. Does that rear door look big enough to access a fridge?

Those Ruger Trailers really are a great price. One question though, it seems like if you have an RTT on top it would be important to be able to access the fridge from the rear door. Does that rear door look big enough to access a fridge?

I think people just use stronger struts with a rtt so you can still open it. If I recall, the tailgate is only 16" tall which probably isn't tall enough for most fridges.

I think people just use stronger struts with a rtt so you can still open it. If I recall, the tailgate is only 16" tall which probably isn't tall enough for most fridges.

I guess I was thinking if the wife or kids were asleep and I wanted another beer.

How about if the RTT is fully opened and set up, but empty, can you still lift the lid OK?

I think I would leave the fridge in the Cruiser and just use the trailer for food/water storage and slide out for sink and burners.

I think I would leave the fridge in the Cruiser and just use the trailer for food/water storage and slide out for sink and burners.

Definitely this for me. Need the fridge out on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD, and hopefully approved by the NSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom