Rooftop Tent Beach Camping Location in SE USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for the best places in the southeast USA to go beach camping with a RTT. I’ve poked around on the interwebs but would rather get someone’s personal recommendation.

Have you checked out PINS in TX? Padre Island National Seashore. I hate the sand so I do not camp down there. You can camp, drive on the beach a long way and have campfires. I have only been down about 10 miles or so but it goes down a ways. Driving conditions can vary.

Last edited:
in California, head towards Oceano Dunes, (Pismo)
you can see lots of pictures on any Surf n Turf thread, or Turf n Surf...
They are under constant barrage to close all the beaches to vehicles, so get there while you can.

Portsmouth Island via ferry from Atlantic, NC. Primitive island with no pavement. Gets pretty buggy and windy, though. We do it every year in November but most of us stay in one of the few basic cabins that the forest service maintains there. Some do ground tents in the dunes, and a few do RTT's. PM me for more info.

We have camped at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys and it has been one of our favorites. We stayed at the Sand Spur campground. It got hit pretty hard by the hurricane. It used to have lots of vegetation and privacy but I think most of that was washed away.

I just looked. Unfortunately Sandspur is closed with no projected time to re-open. There are two other campgrounds in the park but one is pretty RV heavy.

Florida State Parks

Hunting Island State Park in South Caroline is another one of our favorites. Natural and undeveloped island with a beach pretty much left alone, not groomed.

Hunting Island | South Carolina Parks Official Site

Saint Joseph Peninsula state park in Florida is wonderful. White sand and a couple of developed campgrounds at the edge of the beach ocean side. Also 8 great cabins to stay in on the bay side. The peninsula extends up another 8 miles passed any developed cabins or camping. You can back country camp in this area. Lots of wild dunes and beautiful water and beaches.

You can get a permit to drive on parts of the beach. There is primitive camping on the preserve, the northern part of the peninsula. I think it is pack in and pack out though. I am not sure that they would allow you to drive up in that area. There is a road but maybe park staff only.

The bay side is great for kayaking and scalloping when in season.

Florida State Parks

Indian Pass Raw bar is a great place to eat close by. Indian Pass Raw Bar

The sea side city of Apalachicola is not far and a great place to explore, eat oysters fresh from the bay and grab a beer from Oyster City Brewing.

Oyster City Brewing Company - OCBC

Last edited:
I second Portsmouth Island and the Outer Banks. My RTT held up really well even in pretty steady high wind. Portsmouth is more rugged, especially for camping (no bathrooms/showers/water except right by the cabins) but the National Seashore campgrounds are nice if you want a more campgroundy feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom