roof top tent in cold weather? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you guys with an RTT ever do any camping in cold (0 degrees and lower) weather? If so do you just use an inverter and throw an electric blanket up in there, special sleeping bags, large dogs?

My lady and I love camping year round and with an RTT on the "to get" list I'm trying to get information together for other things that we need for cold weather camping.

Thanks in advance.

The coldest I been with my RTT is in the 18ths... Out in Zion..
Just like mountaineering a nice down sleeping bag rated to 0°F or lower has been the best option.....
A small RTT wil also keep yah warmer..

hmm, actually, a RTT would totally get me out camping in the winter time! they are usually 4 season and way more robust than a regular tent obviously. but yeah, +1 on the goose down duvet! you might need to sleep commando in those cuz they're so warm! i'd grab opposing sub zero bags that zip together too for more shared body heat.

Grabbed a 12 volt mattress pad heater. Run it off the 2nd. battery. On to warm up the bed at night, and in the morn. to take the edge off.

In cold weather, be sure to control air leaks better than summer (secure flaps/lower awnings), and extra floor insulation under your bags would pay off since a RTT has airflow under it to cool you where a tent on the ground doesn't. I'd think the air flow would be a bigger need for floor insulation than contact with cold ground.

I've been planning for years to get serious about a RTT and this may be the year. Though the other thread here about sleeping in a rooftop storage box has me thinking....

DougM

Went to Moab for Christmas this year- 10 degrees when the missus & I woke up. We bought the Adam & Eve sleeping bag from Cabellas- that and three dogs we were warm. The only problem I found was that with the tent buttoned up super tight we got a lot of condensation. Beats the heck out of sleeping on the cold ground!

Don't get electric blankets, it would get really miserable if they failed in the midddle of nowwhere.
You want to make sure you don't lose body heat through the bottom of your bed. Go to a camping/outdoor store and look at

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

I recommend the 'downmat9'. Then have a good down sleeping bag and duvet. You said you and your lady, so use layers so you can cool off. Even at -20 I've been known to stick my feet out to cool off.
Have fun.

:::: AUTOHOMECANADA :::::

If you can afford it, I know that these RTT's have been used everywhere and have a quilted/insulated liner for the sides specifically to keep you warm in winter and also are designed to minimize condensation inside. The biggest downer in winter is cold, wet condenstion.

Took my son when he was six and we were both comfortable down to around zero on this overnighter. Myself in my large down bag, my son in his sleeping bag placed inside another one of my sleeping bags, then a down "comforter" or blanket that we could toss over both if us if needed. I tossed it over him, since I felt comfortable, but I don't think he really needed it either. He certainly complained getting out of his warm clothes and into the cold bag at first, but quickly got comfortable. Then a little complaining when he got dressed in the morning, but, thankfully no midnight "potty" breaks required that night. The guys in the Jeep were in their wall tent with a heater of some sort, but where's the adventure in that!

Micah
WinterRTT.jpg

MTKID, what part of MT are you in? Thats probly the best camping pic ive ever seen!!

and extra floor insulation under your bags would pay off since a RTT has airflow under it to cool you where a tent on the ground doesn't. I'd think the air flow would be a bigger need for floor insulation than contact with cold ground.
Line the floor with closed cell foam backpackers sleeping pads. Cut them to size. If you need more insulation, a double or triple layer of them could be used. The advantage of the closed cell foam pads is they continue insulating with pressure on them.

Brasco, I'm down in Billings. That trail is S of Big Timber past the natural bridge and up Independence, which is fun with snow on it. Otherwise, not challenging, but great views and interesting old cabins and collapsed buildings. Here is the Google Earth link...
45°13'02.34" N 110°12'52.69" W
micah

When you're in weather that cold, even with a blanket or duvet, doesn't your face and nose go numb?
I've never used my RTT below 55 for fear it would just be too uncomfortable. I looked at gettint one those little catalytic heaters but that just seems like an all around bad idea in a tent. I could see a duvet or polar sleeping bag working if you covered your entire body with it. Is that what you're doing?

proper temp rated sleeping bag doesn't leave anything numb, and you shouldn't need to have your entire face covered. Not sure where you live, but if you are nervous about it, you could try it in your driveway during the winter to test different things, just go inside if you didn't get it right, and adjust accordingly the next night. Otherwise, follow the suggestions above and you'll be fine.
Micah

i use the emergency foil blanket under my bags when its cold out...reflects your heat back to you....and have used them over our bags too....

When you're in weather that cold, even with a blanket or duvet, doesn't your face and nose go numb?
I've never used my RTT below 55 for fear it would just be too uncomfortable. I looked at getting one those little catalytic heaters but that just seems like an all around bad idea in a tent. I could see a duvet or polar sleeping bag working if you covered your entire body with it. Is that what you're doing?

^^ I'm guessing that you live in Florida or someplace similar?

55 is midsummer night temp here. Usually sleep under the stars when it is that warm. :)

For the OP.... it is gonna depend on your particular RTT. As mentioned, a layer of closed cell foam pads should be the only upgrade you might need for insulation assuming the tent is of even halfway decent design and construction.

Mark...

No, what I'm saying is if the inside of the tent is 30 degrees and the inside of the sleeping bag is 75 degrees, if your face or any body parts are outside of the sleeping bag, why wouldn't those body parts be cold?

Just like when it's really cold out and you're wearing a jacket but no gloves.

Not to say that those body parts, which are exposed, won't get a little chilly... but they won't reach ambient temps if your core is warm and cozy. Your body can afford to send warm blood to those extremities to keep them warm-ish.

I have camped on the top of a cliff in Death Valley in my RTT in 0 with a 0 degree bag...all I had on was my boxers and I was like a bug in a rug.

Yea, my nose got a little nippy, here and there.

If you have someone to cozy up to, all that much better.

I learned that the more clothes and layers you have on when you sleep, the less warm you will be. In a good bag, you should wear nothing but your birthday suit or some boxers, etc.

RTT's are the s***...albeit, a pain in the ass at times.

here is my new setup... much less of a pain in the ass than when I had one on my 80.
rig2.jpg

Last edited:
In a good bag, you should wear nothing but your birthday suit or some boxers, etc.

Yup, undies and socks is all you should need.

I bring my shirt and pants into the bag with me about 10 minutes before I get out of it so they warm up a bit.

You should never put your face inside the bag completely. You exhale a whole lot of moisture while you sleep. Enough to make the inside of your bag very damp. Make sure your bag is long enough to allow your head to be wrapped inside it with a small opening left for you face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom