roof top tent in cold weather? (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can always wear a balaclava to keep the head warm at night.

this is where a mummy bag kicks ass on cold weather....
having a beani or toque is great for freezing temps..........

No, what I'm saying is if the inside of the tent is 30 degrees and the inside of the sleeping bag is 75 degrees, if your face or any body parts are outside of the sleeping bag, why wouldn't those body parts be cold?

Just like when it's really cold out and you're wearing a jacket but no gloves.

Nope, it is just like when you are wearing a jacket and your face is exposed. No big deal

Cool and fresh, but far from cold at temps like that. You face has a LOT of circulatory capacity. Warm blood keeps it warm and comfortable at a lot lower temps than 30F when the rest of your body is wrapped in a warm sleeping bag. In fact you will likely be opening the bag some if it is a good cold weather bag, to shed excess heat.

Mark...

I use an ECW mummy bag (Mil issue) and find that I am coming out of it looking to cool myself off. When I put my head in the bag and leave a hole where I can breath out of and my face is below the surface of the bag I am GTG! My face never gets cold.

I have asked my family to donate any down blankets, comforters, or pillows, we run 2 down comforters in our queen sized RTT (1st gen Mombassa) and if it is really cold (sub 20*) then we add a foam pad UNDER the mattress and it is really warm and comfortable. I am looking into adding a 1/4" piece of closed cell foam to the entire floor to have this effect all year round. That said this is the all time poorest construction tent out there with wind-flapping fabric and sub-par construction all around and we are VERY comfortable in it.

FWIW, I was warm last weekend 18* or so with wind, and had to peel off a layer of down! :D I do wear a hat and fleece long johns... but I like to be warm...

RTT are the BEST!... Here is a shot of my setup before taking off last weekend to the Rocky Mountain National Park-

TrailerTruckcombo1.jpg

Chiming in late here but I camp year round in my RTT in Utah's winters. Obviously our high mountain trails are limited in the winter (under 10+ feet of snow) but the lower elevation desert still see sub-zero temps and plenty of snow. No issues to speak of. Dress warm :D

I got one of these Outback Camper Deluxe RTT on a roof rack on my 75 series.It will be the 1st winter I have had it I cant wait to use it,if Im lucky it might get down to 0c

Roof-toppers-Camped5.jpg

I did 3 winter weekends in -10*c temps this winter in my mag boiling extreme . With a home made liner from cheap synthetic duvets . Nice bedding and a 12v pad to get it warm to start and I was cozy and warm .
Mike,moose

RTTs are just for comfort; you stay off the ground, has a 2" or 3" foam mattress, but for warmth pack in some blankets or sleeping bags that keep you warm, and don't plan on changing that much during the winter months, I mean a change of socks and the occasional underwear should do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom