Rolling the dice on this fridge 63QQT $270 shipped (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry if already covered before but I was curious if it was normal to get a little dull rattle from what I think is the compressor when driving. (When it is running, its virtually silent). I always thought it was normal, but just started wondering if mine was loose or something.

Used it 5 times now for camping trips into hot enviornments and it is so far one of my most favorite investments for under $500! If it lasts a few years, I'd be even more stoked.
I've noticed the rattle as well, but I haven't worried about it. Once I get my truck fully loaded for a trip I never notice it, only when I'm driving aroun town with only the fridge in back do I hear it.

Yep same here. I have mine "bolted" down and hardwired. I do not notice it much when I am loaded with everything else. I do think it is normal as well. Would like to find the root and see if I could isolate it though!

Mine will rattle a bit over bumps a little but works fine. I've put 2 of these fridges through the ringer in the last couple years.... Mine work good that's all I can say. I know some people have had bad luck but I am satisfied for $300 ish.

The two fridges I own, they been dropped, sit unused for months and plug in 12 or 110 work fine, in 40mph + Collision, and rode down thousands of miles of bumpy roads. The fit and finish is garbage on both

What is a good average size fridge?
I see people running anywhere from 35 to 80 qt fridges. I guess some bought what was on sale, others depending on family size and number of days out in the wild.
Let's say for two people out for the weekend, what would be a good size? I think 80 would be overkill, but as @LS1FJ40 said the 80qt one was the only one available at that time for him.

Our 43 qt holds a lot of shtuff for two people. If you're talking just food for two, plenty big enough for a long weekend or more.

Beverages tend to take up more space in many coolers. If you were doing ice, best to chill and keep them cold, because cooling them down from ambient temps as needed will melt a bunch of ice. With your Edgestar or other fridge, cooling more to add in is easy. So you can leave most out and keep only what's needed in the next few hours cold, with the rest on standby to be added in as needed.

63 works well for me... Not that much larger or expensive. Takes up approximately half the cargo floor space in my 4Runner and half the width in a 100 series with some room behind it.

Can easily fit everything for 4 for a weekend. The key is packing it well to use the space efficiently.

What is a good average size fridge?
I see people running anywhere from 35 to 80 qt fridges. I guess some bought what was on sale, others depending on family size and number of days out in the wild.
Let's say for two people out for the weekend, what would be a good size? I think 80 would be overkill, but as @LS1FJ40 said the 80qt one was the only one available at that time for him.

I got the 80 qt because I am impatient and wanted it right now! (Granted it sat in my garage for a month before I put it in my truck...

I'm glad I got the 80 qt. On the Edgestar the only difference is the height. The side shelf basket in the 80 is tall enough to fit a carton of OJ or be useful. Typically when my son are going for the weekend we use the side shelf basket for meat, cheese, etc. The main area for drinks.

For the record, I can hold 68 bottles (the 16.9 oz variety)of water in the 80 qt. I tested it on Saturday to see.

I went with a 45qt because of the hight restriction I have. It rids in the bed of my truck under a cover. It fits enough for me to camp for a long weekend. But I wish I had room for the 60qt.

I start drinking and forget to refill it with beer!!

Broke my handles on the 43qt this past weekend. I wish they made something that was a bolt-in replacement/upgrade, not just a generic handle that you can drill to fit. I just wasn't happy with the look of the cheap steel handles I put on with the old 60qt.

I got the 80 qt because I am impatient and wanted it right now! (Granted it sat in my garage for a month before I put it in my truck...

I'm glad I got the 80 qt. On the Edgestar the only difference is the height. The side shelf basket in the 80 is tall enough to fit a carton of OJ or be useful. Typically when my son are going for the weekend we use the side shelf basket for meat, cheese, etc. The main area for drinks.

For the record, I can hold 68 bottles (the 16.9 oz variety)of water in the 80 qt. I tested it on Saturday to see.

I drink very little water/liquids even on a hot day. On a hot day wheeling with my son, we did not finish a 2L bottle of water. My cat drinks a lot more water than me.
So now I'm thinking the 43 qt wouldn't really be all that bad in my case. Mainly for food. I don't really care if my water is not cold. I don't drink it anyway :) We don't like soft drinks, so that purpose is out. Beer maybe, not sure if I would drink and drive, even if it is off road.

I drink very little water/liquids even on a hot day. On a hot day wheeling with my son, we did not finish a 2L bottle of water. My cat drinks a lot more water than me.
So now I'm thinking the 43 qt wouldn't really be all that bad in my case. Mainly for food. I don't really care if my water is not cold. I don't drink it anyway :) We don't like soft drinks, so that purpose is out. Beer maybe, not sure if I would drink and drive, even if it is off road.

You should be drinking more water! It's good for you!

I drink about 15-20 bottles of water each day during work. I try to use Nalgene bottles and refill them to keep them in my fridge but it's kind of a pain to do. So I end up getting cases of water at work.

I also keep candy bars in there. And lately have been keeping ice cream sandwiches. Why? Because I can!

You gotta stop with all that water, people die of over hydration! If those bottles are half liters you're pushing your luck and not in a good way.

And lately have been keeping ice cream sandwiches. Why? Because I can!
I've thought of using two 43/45 sized ones. One for refrigerated stuff, and the other for frozen foods. Make up a ton of frozen meals in plastic sacks before the trip, and freeze them down. On the trip I can pull them out and heat them up. For one person frozen meals like that works nicely. Right now I just stick them under the block of dry ice in the dry ice cooler. Unfortunately that thing must stay outside because of the venting CO2.

You should be drinking more water! It's good for you!

I drink about 15-20 bottles of water each day during work. I try to use Nalgene bottles and refill them to keep them in my fridge but it's kind of a pain to do. So I end up getting cases of water at work.

I also keep candy bars in there. And lately have been keeping ice cream sandwiches. Why? Because I can!

Haven't you heard about the drought here?
I am doing my part.

I don't drink that many bottles of water in a week.
For the past 9 hours I only had a pint of water. 90F + outside.

You gotta stop with all that water, people die of over hydration! If those bottles are half liters you're pushing your luck and not in a good way.

Haven't you heard about the drought here?
I am doing my part.

I don't drink that many bottles of water in a week.
For the past 9 hours I only had a pint of water. 90F + outside.

Well, the heat is different in Iowa. A lot of humidity. Must stay hydrated.

Plus I have horrible kidneys from 3+ years of chemo so I have to drink a lot of water...

I've thought of using two 43/45 sized ones. One for refrigerated stuff, and the other for frozen foods. Make up a ton of frozen meals in plastic sacks before the trip, and freeze them down. On the trip I can pull them out and heat them up. For one person frozen meals like that works nicely. Right now I just stick them under the block of dry ice in the dry ice cooler. Unfortunately that thing must stay outside because of the venting CO2.

Yeah, I've been planning on taking frozen chili in ziploc freezer bags. Just drop it in boiling water and voila!

I kee the fridge/freezer at 9 degrees when I have frozen stuff. It typically registers the temp at around 10-11. But maintains it at that. Water will definitely freeze solid if left in there for a day or so.

If I just have water in there I keep it at 25. Makes it slushy.

Whatever you do about personal hydration, you want to keep the fridge full as a matter of rule. The first reason is because if you beating things around on the trail, better things stay in place and are well braced and packed. I've keep empty soda bottles in a cooler as spacers a time of two.

The other reason is because the fridge is most efficient when its packed with a chilled thermal mass, your shtuff. Keep your ready beer/water/Hawaiian Punch in the shade and not in the sun, but add warm ones in as you take the chilled ones out. This ensures both quick chilling and that you don't heat up shtuff already chilled. If you and your partner are drinking faster than the 43 qt can cool them like that, then better have a big stash on hand if it's a long way back to town.

Another strategy might be to use the fridge as a freezer and use frozen water bottles/ice packs in a regular ice chest. Just have two sets to rotate between the ice chest and freezer.

Another strategy might be to use the fridge as a freezer and use frozen water bottles/ice packs in a regular ice chest. Just have two sets to rotate between the ice chest and freezer.

That's a good idea if you have space for a ice chest and a fridge and need a freezer. I'd have to have some ice cream on board to go through all that trouble.

I have my eye on that dometic 65 dual fridge freezer unit. Beach trips would be exponentially better with ice cream.

That's a good idea if you have space for a ice chest and a fridge and need a freezer. I'd have to have some ice cream on board to go through all that trouble.

I have my eye on that dometic 65 dual fridge freezer unit. Beach trips would be exponentially better with ice cream.

EVERYTHING is better with ice cream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom