Rolling the dice on this fridge 63QQT $270 shipped (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got the Whynter brand 45Qt. I think it's Edgestar's mother brand. It came with metal handles and metal hinges. $450 at Home Depot and I had a $190 gift card at $250 I could not pass it up. I have to do something with my setup. I have it under a tounnue cover in the back of by truck running off a set of aux 60Ahr batteries. It gets really hot under the cover in the sun. I tried wrapping it with silver bubble wrap. I am going to order a cover when I get back from vacation.
image.jpg

Last edited:
$34 tho!? The metal ones I got from Zoro were $5 I think (think @warezdog found them) Had to drill out some holes, but super easy with the old handle as a template.

Unrelated question, does anyone use a transit bag and if so, does it make a difference in insulating the cooler? I got one coming in the mail for cheap and wondered if its even worth messing with. I don't care about dents and scratches on my fridges.

My cheeeeep $3.50 National (a Stanley brand made in, you guessed it, China) handle from the big box.

CheeepHandle.jpg

Cheaper is better. The fancy handles often have three screwholes across the top, which is one more unneeded hole for this purpose.

Wynder..... I wonder if those handles would bolt on to our edgestars? More research is needed.

EDIT:

Did you mean Whynter? The one pictured here doesn't have those metal handles.

Whynter 45 qt. Portable Fridge/Freezer-FM-45G - The Home Depot

Yes that's the one. (I fixed the Spelling.)

Those are the ones I that came on mine. But the sales pic shows the plastic ones.

Last edited:
Anyone noticed some edgestars have drains and some don't? One of mine got funky and I went to rinse it out and no drain!

Almost had myself talked into the 43q since it's in stock and I'd like a little smaller footprint. Then I read the dimensions and it's only 3" shorter. I guess I'll keep waiting.

So mine has been sitting for nearly 2 years after moving and not having the time to run it, with the 4th coming up I decided it would be nice to have an ice cold beverage cooler for the 4th and it came down to temp in an hour. Pretty impressed with it for the money and the handle mod for just a few bucks made it feel like it should.

So mine has been sitting for nearly 2 years after moving and not having the time to run it, with the 4th coming up I decided it would be nice to have an ice cold beverage cooler for the 4th and it came down to temp in an hour. Pretty impressed with it for the money and the handle mod for just a few bucks made it feel like it should.

When I was testing mine before I got things sorted out and wrote up in the thread I linked in my previous comment, I noted that the Edgestar consistently pulled internal temps down by more than a degree a minute. What other problems there may be, if your fridge does that there's nothing really wrong with the compressor or the rest of the sealed system. Controls? Voltage? That may be a different matter.:confused:

85 to 30 sitting in the sun in an hour was good enough for me

LCP turned me on to the Edgestar. I tried to buy the 63qt but they were sold out. So I bought the 80qt for $30 more. It has the same footprint, just 2-3" taller. I love it. I have been running it every day for the past month or so. Originally just off my one battery. Then I added a house battery but hadn't wired the dual battery system so I had to charge the house battery at night. I never tried going more than a couple of days between charges. I finished up my dual battery setup two weeks ago.

The fridge does what I want it to do. I set the temp at 20 degrees. It's filled with waters and gatorade. Some of the bottles of water and gatorade will freeze. Some won't. I have stored ice cream in it and it stayed frozen.

I used the Wits' End Anderson Pole wiring setup for mine. Couldn't be happier.

It is one of the best, if not the best, mods I have done to my 80.

I bought the scratch and dent from Openboxdirect. It had one tiny scratch and one small dent. It now has about 30 scratches and two dents.

It has been worth every penny to not have to mess around with ice or a cooler again!

Sorry if already covered before but I was curious if it was normal to get a little dull rattle from what I think is the compressor when driving. (When it is running, its virtually silent). I always thought it was normal, but just started wondering if mine was loose or something.

Used it 5 times now for camping trips into hot enviornments and it is so far one of my most favorite investments for under $500! If it lasts a few years, I'd be even more stoked.

Sorry if already covered before but I was curious if it was normal to get a little dull rattle from what I think is the compressor when driving. (When it is running, its virtually silent). I always thought it was normal, but just started wondering if mine was loose or something.

Used it 5 times now for camping trips into hot enviornments and it is so far one of my most favorite investments for under $500! If it lasts a few years, I'd be even more stoked.

How the hell can you hear a rattle when driving an 80?!?! Your 80 must be a lot quieter than mine. Haha.

Just kidding, I hear a little rattle with mine. Was thinking I could put a piece of rubber or something where it rattles.

I'd think more the potholes than the speed would cause a rattle. The compressor and motor are on a flex mount. Wouldn't think that would normally rattle. However, my 43 qt has the fill tube or whatever for the pressurized system just bent at a weird angle. I could see that bumping against something else if close to a bracket or something and causing a rattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom