Rolling the dice on this fridge 63QQT $270 shipped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off credit due here that got my head spinning a few months ago
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped/page126

I just happened to find this one here
http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP630-...-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630SD,default,pd.html

I've looked everyday for this for months to be instock, as of 10 minutes ago it was and seems still is. This is rare as the last time I had it in my cart it was gone before I could complete the transaction.

Will review when I get my paws on it. I didn't wish to share the link until I successfully checked out because no one would believe me about a fridge of this size for this price shipped.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about this unit but I will say this : You get what you pay for and also, the lowest priced shop is the next one out of business. Maybe this outfit is liquidating a bad deal. A saying from the 70's; question authority, still holds true today.

On another topic here, a couple of weeks ago, I was severely chastised over my negative comments on a really good deal that some guy bought; two for $150 propane water heaters. My negativity regarded the amount of propane they will consume upfront. Useful lifespan was something that was not addressed.

I sell Dometic which is also sold in Australia under a different label and they are both found on high end boats all over the planet. ARB also has a high quality product. Check around and ask questions first, before you buy. Touchy feely. Besides, here in SoCal it is about 52 D's outside right now and the temp is dropping to the mid 40s in a few hours, so, who needs a frig anyway? I want a camp fire. To bad its raining.

It's cold here too but I felt taking the chance. I hear you on you get what you pay for but if you read a few of the 124 pages of posts on expedition portal it does pretty well.

There are a few issues with it that can be easily remedied and considering that it's 1/4 the cost of the next cheapest name brand model I had to jump on it.

Like the big boys it has a real compressor and that was a must for me. I did find several YouTube reviews as well, like I said I've been eyeing this for months.

Openbox direct is a division of compact appliance who have been around a long time so I had little worry on the fly by night issue.

I always try to support sponsoring vendors and members when possible but there are times when that's not feasible. An example of this recently was the hilift tube mount, $49 on amazon shipped. I used camel camel camel and waited for the notification.

My only concern would be the Edgestar brand itself. I don't have any firsthand experience, but I understand it is more of an open source brand with various suppliers building various different models, hit and miss quality.

That being said, one of my fellow club members has one and is very pleased with it.

Hope it works out for you, you'll never go back to ice packs in coolers again!

First off credit due here that got my head spinning a few months ago
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23350-Cheap-Fridge-lt-400-shipped/page126

I just happened to find this one here
http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP630-...-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630SD,default,pd.html

I've looked everyday for this for months to be instock, as of 10 minutes ago it was and seems still is. This is rare as the last time I had it in my cart it was gone before I could complete the transaction.

Will review when I get my paws on it. I didn't wish to share the link until I successfully checked out because no one would believe me about a fridge of this size for this price shipped.

Thanks for posting the link :clap:

I jump on buy this morning

:santa:

Thanks for posting the link :clap:

I jump on buy this morning

:santa:

You're welcome Phil! Glad I was able to pay you back some from all the stuff I've learned from your posts and insight.

that's a very good deal.
And I have had no problem with mine. Works great.
And the chances you'd soon dent a perfect one are high anyway if you use it in the boonies.

that's a very good deal.
And I have had no problem with mine. Works great.
And the chances you'd soon dent a perfect one are high anyway if you use it in the boonies.

Thanks for the reply, I've also read a lot of your posts in the past and like Phil's, learned a lot from you. Knowing you own one and like it seals in my mind that I made the right choice.

Crap new they're over $500 http://www.compactappliance.com/FP630-Spacious-EdgeStar-Portable-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP630.html
and like you said they're going to get nicked or dented sooner or later, all I care about is that it works. Going to do the LCD panel mod as soon as I get mine and check the connections at the compressor.

My status says back ordered but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because they pre-authorized payment on my card.

That's about what i paid for mine, not a lot of hours on it yet but no problems. It took me a while to find a small scratch on mine. The original box was mangled and it was shipped inside a second box. My guess is it was rejected by the original purchaser because of the condition of the box.

Mine has already accumulated a few more scratches from normal use.

I'll be busting it out tomorrow for use as an auxiliary fridge during the holidays. The first use will be thawing out the Christmas turkey.

I have the Engel MT45 and my buddy's Edgestar. They both are good. My other buddy has had his Edgestar for 3 plus years now and has had no problems.

I don't know anything about this unit but I will say this : You get what you pay for and also, the lowest priced shop is the next one out of business. Maybe this outfit is liquidating a bad deal. A saying from the 70's; question authority, still holds true today.

On another topic here, a couple of weeks ago, I was severely chastised over my negative comments on a really good deal that some guy bought; two for $150 propane water heaters. My negativity regarded the amount of propane they will consume upfront. Useful lifespan was something that was not addressed.

I sell Dometic which is also sold in Australia under a different label and they are both found on high end boats all over the planet. ARB also has a high quality product. Check around and ask questions first, before you buy. Touchy feely. Besides, here in SoCal it is about 52 D's outside right now and the temp is dropping to the mid 40s in a few hours, so, who needs a frig anyway? I want a camp fire. To bad its raining.

You got chastised because you were acting like a fxxxing douche bag trying to pimp your junk while concurrently going on a china tools, Eco rant. Your marketing tragedy is awesome!!!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/786027-all-you-smelly-stinky-bastids.html

what is this LCD panel mod?

what is this LCD panel mod?

Last page of that expi portal says that there is a thin plastic sheet on the back of the PCB board that keeps the pins from touching the inside of the aluminum.

From what I can tell vibration will let the pins work their way through and short out against the inside wall. This seems to be the Achilles heel of these having a premature death.

The poster used heat shrink and cut it down the middle and used it as a blanket between the plastic and the cooler wall.

Some found loose connections down by the compressor which would also cause premature failure if it was always arcing and consistently turning the compressor on off, I guess they're so quiet you can't hear them do this when you're on the road.

There are also gripes/mods for the handles but I don't plan on moving mine once in the truck after it's loaded.

Some guys over there use one of those big Harbor Freight solar panels with a 12 volt battery and ran them for weeks in the boonies.

I'm not sold on the insulated cover but some swear by them.

The compressor is supposed to be nearly identical to the Engel but I've never seen both side by side to confirm.

I know I'd rather have the 43 space wise but this deal made it impossible to look the other way.

how d'you get to the back of the panel if you know?

I have found some highly reflective aluminized cloth someplace and use that as a cover. It's gotta make a big difference, I can't even look at it when the sun is shining on it, it'll burn my retinas to a crisp... :)

I don't know yet but when I get it I'll find out!

yes, I would like to have a peek. Hadn't heard of this issue until now but I can see that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom