Rolled 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am inheriting this rolled 100 which had its airbags deployed. What I understand is that the seatbelts need to be reset or replaced. What exactly does one need to do? How do I fix the seatbelts?

4F87411A-12EA-4DF4-BDBF-C534D1CC84DB.jpeg

The seatbelt mechanism has a small explosive charge in it to take up slack and tension the belt during an airbag-type event. It’s called the ‘pretensioner’. I’m not sure if detonating the pretensioner renders the retraction mechanism inoperable. Quick Google search brings up this place among others:
Seat Belt Repair Services - Order Online! - Safety Restore

Are you replacing the airbags or gonna run without them?

If the pretensioners went off then the full belt assemblies must be replaced.

Not sure if these have them, but on a lot of vehicles the airbag ecm will have to be reset or replaced.

Great time to hit those driveshaft zerks with some grease.

The belts are all available from Toyota (or were last year). Should be ~$200 per belt and install requires various interior trim to come off. Probably want to buy some of the snap in fasteners while you're placing an order if you go that route as they often go missing or break.

Bonus: the belts ship with hazardous materials shipment paperwork for explosives.

1646666294410.png

The belts are all available from Toyota (or were last year). Should be ~$200 per belt

I just had to chase down a front passenger belt, for our 2000 TLC, a couple of weeks ago.

In my digging, it seemed that tan belts for the early models were NLA, but grey belts were available, and in the $250-300 range (fortunately I needed grey).

I just had to chase down a front passenger belt, for our 2000 TLC, a couple of weeks ago.

In my digging, it seemed that tan belts for the early models were NLA, but grey belts were available, and in the $250-300 range (fortunately I needed grey).
Sometimes I wish for a good supply of 100s in salvage yards.

What trail was that on? Trying to think of the scenario it tipped like that...
Old Mountain Miners Cabin, (from the help needed note posted to local club). The guys who did the recovery noted the trail was/is badly eroded and the surface was loose rock and washed out.

This section looks much steeper in this picture below than the picture posted above. IMO, this scenario could happen to anyone - looks like they continued straight just for a moment as the turn continued left, dipped the drivers front wheel in and the tail came up. Something a solid axle probably would have forgave but IFS doesn't. Must have been a very scary moment.

Really nice 100 OP, some great upgrades on this vehicle! Hope you get the seatbelts sorted.

1646670742627.png

1646670552790.png

Last edited:
didn't even break any glass

Old Mountain Miners Cabin, (from the help needed note posted to local club). The guys who did the recovery noted the trail was/is badly eroded and the surface was loose rock and washed out.

This section looks much steeper in this picture below than the picture posted above. IMO, this scenario could happen to anyone - looks like they continued straight just for a moment as the turn continued left, dipped the drivers front wheel in and the tail came up. Something a solid axle probably would have forgave but IFS doesn't. Must have been a very scary moment.

Really nice 100 OP, some great upgrades on this vehicle! Hope you get the seatbelts sorted.

View attachment 2945666

View attachment 2945664

That 2nd photo sure looks like an offshoot trail of Cumberland Pass (between Pitkin and Tincup). Looks VERY familiar to me. Not sure where "Old Miners Cabin Trail" is though.

That 2nd photo sure looks like an offshoot trail of Cumberland Pass (between Pitkin and Tincup). Looks VERY familiar to me. Not sure where "Old Miners Cabin Trail" is though.
It's an offshoot of a trail network in Summit County up by Keystone - Wise Mountain near Webster Pass - Old Miners Cabin Trail is more just denoting that section of the trail for where the recovery was taking place.

The seatbelt mechanism has a small explosive charge in it to take up slack and tension the belt during an airbag-type event. It’s called the ‘pretensioner’. I’m not sure if detonating the pretensioner renders the retraction mechanism inoperable. Quick Google search brings up this place among others:
Seat Belt Repair Services - Order Online! - Safety Restore

Are you replacing the airbags or gonna run without them?
Thanks for the response! Probably will run without the airbags. And any idea where the seatbelt repair is located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom