rollcall-new TT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got mine last saturday. It was great to see Kina's Frankenstien on the cover! Awesome rig and a great guy!
Lane

Got mine today have not had time to look at it yet

Kaderabek said:
I believe I'll take the Supreme Court justice nominee approach and offer no comment. :D

TJK

WHERE THE HELL IS DEARBORN WHEN YOU NEED HIM? :D

Doug, you're not the only one...saw the posts on the norcal lists and keep checking the mailbox...no dice unless someone in teh 95678 post office is stealing them.

t

nuclearlemon said:
got mine today

Hijack......

Ige, was gonna ask but keep forgeting, did you ever end up doing anything with those Argentine pics I gave ya???

Got mine yesterday!! Read about half of it last night. Excellent as usual, especially that great shot of the 94 in the AZ desert :bounce2: :grinpimp:

Great read. Probably one of my favorites. I really like the trail reports like Dave and the Utah boys offered up.

Tubby is getting old though, down with tubby!!!

Hit Paydirt on 11-9

Not only did I get my new TT on 11-9, I also got my new 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine that day. The N-D Issue of TT Trails is outstanding, couldn't put it down until I read it all the way through. Then, I read my 4WD Toyota owner magazine. 11-9 was a good day!

Tubby Explorer...go away, go away!

I accept your criticism, Garth, and appreciate the feedback.

But think about it this way. Say you, as a TLCA member like Jack, call me one day and tell me you're going to drive from the tip of South America to Alaska in a very tricked out non-USA Land Cruiser and you want to know if I want articles covering the journey for the magazine. Of course I say yes. A TLCA member is doing something very cool and very adventurous with a Land Cruiser. Of course I'm going to cover it. You and I shake on it and off you go on your adventure.

Well, in that you have a long way to travel you tend to stick to the (albeit in poor condition) pavement, and in that you encounter some really nasty weather you stay in some motels instead of your rooftop tent, and in that you're a curious sort you visit quite a few tourist destinations along the way. Do I call you on your sat. phone and tell you that I'm bagging the articles because your adventure is not hard core enough for some TLCA members? No.

What I do is work hard to edit the articles, spend endless hours cutting and cutting and cutting while trying to maintain continuity within the articles. It's a linear adventure, I can't exactly cut out nine countries just to hasten the pace of publication. I also spend a lot of time sorting photography in an attempt to convey the Cruiser angle of this story (it is what conveys them, after all) while also showing the variety of cultures encountered along the way.

Why do I bother with all of this? Bagging it would have been a lot easier. Two reasons, first my belief that Cruisers are not the end all of this experience but rather the mechanism whereby we are able to have the experience, whether that be Cruisers out on the Cotton Bales or a Cruiser driving up the spine of South America. The second reason is far more important to me and would be to you if you were Jack. We shook on the deal and short of there being a major problem with the articles I'm going to live up to my end of that agreement. Yes, the journey took longer than I'd like and yes I learned from that and I do hear what you're saying and it does matter to me. But in my book a deal is a deal.

There are two more installments. If you don't like the articles, don't read them. If you want different content in the magazine, submit it. Jack's outdone you in that regard, my friend.

Jack, Margaret, I'm sorry that you'll read this and feel criticized for your efforts. We knew from the start that this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but if it makes you feel any better, I have received equal amounts of praise and criticism. And I very much appreciate the considerable effort you went to along the way to get the stories and photos to me (for which you asked nothing of the TLCA in the form of compensation).

TJK

Kaderabek said:
I accept your criticism, Garth, and appreciate the feedback.

But think about it this way. Say you, as a TLCA member like Jack, call me one day and tell me you're going to drive from the tip of South America to Alaska in a very tricked out non-USA Land Cruiser and you want to know if I want articles covering the journey for the magazine. Of course I say yes. A TLCA member is doing something very cool and very adventurous with a Land Cruiser. Of course I'm going to cover it. You and I shake on it and off you go on your adventure.

Well, in that you have a long way to travel you tend to stick to the (albeit in poor condition) pavement, and in that you encounter some really nasty weather you stay in some motels instead of your rooftop tent, and in that you're a curious sort you visit quite a few tourist destinations along the way. Do I call you on your sat. phone and tell you that I'm bagging the articles because your adventure is not hard core enough for some TLCA members? No.

What I do is work hard to edit the articles, spend endless hours cutting and cutting and cutting while trying to maintain continuity within the articles. It's a linear adventure, I can't exactly cut out nine countries just to hasten the pace of publication. I also spend a lot of time sorting photography in an attempt to convey the Cruiser angle of this story (it is what conveys them, after all) while also showing the variety of cultures encountered along the way.

Why do I bother with all of this? Bagging it would have been a lot easier. Two reasons, first my belief that Cruisers are not the end all of this experience but rather the mechanism whereby we are able to have the experience, whether that be Cruisers out on the Cotton Bales or a Cruiser driving up the spine of South America. The second reason is far more important to me and would be to you if you were Jack. We shook on the deal and short of there being a major problem with the articles I'm going to live up to my end of that agreement. Yes, the journey took longer than I'd like and yes I learned from that and I do hear what you're saying and it does matter to me. But in my book a deal is a deal.

There are two more installments. If you don't like the articles, don't read them. If you want different content in the magazine, submit it. Jack's outdone you in that regard, my friend.

Jack, Margaret, I'm sorry that you'll read this and feel criticized for your efforts. We knew from the start that this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but if it makes you feel any better, I have received equal amounts of praise and criticism. And I very much appreciate the considerable effort you went to along the way to get the stories and photos to me (for which you asked nothing of the TLCA in the form of compensation).

TJK

While the Tubby Explorer articles may not be hard core, I have enjoyed every article from the very beginning. They are driving a Cruiser I will never get to drive, much less own. They are driving a Cruiser in countries I will probably never get to go to, and this an opportunity for TT readers to experience the adventure vicariously through those articles. I say, keep them coming. If I understand the trip correctly, at some point they will be traveling in North America and Canada. Trips in the USA are ceratinly doable for me, and I have been to Canada and plan on going back, so even their articles covering places I have been will hold interest for me, and I suspect a lot of other TT readers.

I hope Jack and Margaret understand that TT readership covers the spectrum of Toyota Land Cruiser owners, some will view it as not hard core enough, while others will view it as an interesting story centered around traveling in a Land Cruiser.

.....my belief that Cruisers are not the end all of this experience but rather the mechanism whereby we are able to have the experience.............

That is not only so true, but poetic! All you have to do is look at the variety of different forums on a site like IH8MUD to see that there are Soooooooooo many ways in which Cruisers are used. The only thing that is close to universal is that the vehicle serves as a manifestation of our own sense of adventure, whether that adventure is satisfied in a 1/4 mile rockpile or a few hundred miles of the outback. Even when our rigs are down for what seem like endless repairs and modifications, we still look at them and daydream about the next adventure, and we have enough of a hope in a dream to keep us going with the mediocre parts of our lives.

I too have stopped reading the Tubby articles even though I think the rig, the adventure and the people in it are cool. Just not my cup of tea. I know that there are quite a few people who thoroughly enjoy this series, just aren't the type to speak up. That said, I still have to say that I totally respect the fact that Jack and Margaret are out there having the adventure, just as much as I respect the guys in the rock buggy crowd. Whatever we're out there doing, we've all got the web-wheelers beat!

Tubby Explorer is definitely TT material.

Tubby reminds me of watching National Geographic shows on television.

For some reason, no matter where in Africa or South America they are, or what animal species or tribe they are talking about, if I see they are driving a Cruiser it makes it all the more exciting for me.

It's less about the vehicle itself, and more about the idea of freedom and discovery that these vehicles can instill

I like the expedition stuff and admire the duo for thier adventurous spirit and cool cruiser! if TT was all hard core, then it would be exclusive to those who enjoy crawling and heavily modd'ed rigs.. variety is good! All involved with TT, readers, writers, editors, volunteer staff, you make it happen!

I was talking to Nolen about this the other day so I may as well put it out here too. I'd like to see more in-depth tech articles in Trails. Most of this stuff goes to the boards these days. It's good stuff for Trails too. I understand why the build threads go primarily to the boards, easier to unfold them on a daily/weekly basis and get feedback. I do have one really cool restoration article in progress though. And some good tech stuff coming up, I just don't see very much of it these days.

Off to see the FJ Cruiser in Greenville, SC, on Saturday. That should be interesting. Really I'm just going to eat at The Beacon. :D

TJK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom