rollcage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

still looks pretty sweet

may have to do something like that on the 60 ;)

nice work,are you using gas or flux wire?

Bushboy, I didn't think about that either. My glass wasn't to great anyway so I guess I wasnt to worried. The way I had to position my arm to make the welds on the windshield side I had my hand and arm between the welder and glass so it shielded it some.
2badfjs, .35 flux cored, highest setting take my time, I've gotten so used to using welders without gas over the past 2 years I can lay just as good of a bead with it as I could with a gas shielded welder.

quote;clemson55/2badfjs, .35 flux cored, highest setting take my time, I've gotten so used to using welders without gas over the past 2 years I can lay just as good of a bead with it as I could with a gas shielded welder.

thats all i use .35 flux
i really dont want the gas at my house,maybe if i had a shop.
and for sure about laying beads.
it's the splatter thats a drag, clean up and all...

2badfjs said:
i really dont want the gas at my house,maybe if i had a shop.

Why wouldn't you want it. It's an inert gas.

Looks great richard! And don't worry about the splatters that are on there now. There is nothing you can do about it now. Just be glad you don't have them on the outside like the PO who did mine. Makes the wipers suck really bad. Glad to know my tubing went to a good cause.

Yeah Marshal your tubing is a bit bigger OD then the other so I used it for the vertical supports I have two pieces left which will be going on later when I do my rear bumper as the verticles for the baja style rear bars.

quote trollhole: Why wouldn't you want it. It's an inert gas.

does that mean it doesnt go boom!!!!?

i'd hate to run out in the middle of a job anyway :frown:

2badfjs said:
quote trollhole: Why wouldn't you want it. It's an inert gas.

does that mean it doesnt go boom!!!!?

i'd hate to run out in the middle of a job anyway :frown:

No BOOM

If you run out swap over to flux if your in a bind.

Gumby said:
The only issue would be if the valve got knocked off the tank. Then it would be a big torpedo. Otherwise it's pretty safe.

now that would be cool to see.

i got some neighbors i could point the tank at.............

prolly not a good idea ;)

CLEM it is looking awesome.:grinpimp:

So...just how big of a difference is it to make a cage the way CLEM is compared to bending with fewer welds.
Is this one of those tiny differences that honestly do not matter?

Heres a picture of the days labors, started gussetting the corners some of these are tacked and some are fully welded in now. I'm going to need 24 of these bad boys and I've done 5 :frown:
Bonzai as for your question I believe that an angled cage can be just as strong as a curved one the only real difference is you will need to gusset more and you will need to weld more. Just my .02

Last edited:
I think it does matter, but for what we do, maybe not so much. My guess is if you posted it up on Pirate, you'd find all about what is not as safe about it.

I was just out in the shop holding up tube here and there. I'm thinking of going up the outside of the A pillar and down the drip rail, then either looping around the back, or maybe dropping down to protect the tail lights and tail gate. The A pillar up tube would go through the apron and fender down to tie in to the sliders/rocker panels. The rain gutter tubes are cross braced with tubes going through the roof and across to the other side. Inner up tubes at the B pillars at the same slant as the seat belts. Straight up and down behind the back seat. Cross support the B pillar as it is most critical and can then have mounts for 5 point harness.

That or a full awn interior cage tied into rain gutter tree sliders. I just don't know where I would put the A pillar down tube. I would go crazy with it where Clem's is. I jump in and out a bazillion times when on the trail.

I do know I tagged my rain gutter three times last weekend and was trying to be carefull.

I didnt really jump in and out a lot so I'm not worried about that. Plus its not really as close as it looks I can slide in and out without a problem. I'm also not the biggest guy I have seen lots of posts by people who are like 6' and over complaining that they dont have enough room in their cruisers but I am only about 5'9 and I feel like I have a ton of room.

Ru,

Those look stout bro, i need to get up to c-town and check er out. keep up the good work!:beer:

Gumby said:
The only issue would be if the valve got knocked off the tank. Then it would be a big torpedo. Otherwise it's pretty safe.

i nearly filled my pants the other week at work when a young fella on the forklift knocked over a bottle of argon gas, and it landed with the valve aiming at me, luckily it didn't pop. one other time two bottles against the wall fell over when some stuff fell on them.
scary stuff eh.
dan.

I imagine it will be a bit of overkill when all is said and done. But I would rather overbuild it then underbuild it.

Looks good! I bet you have goone through a lot of flux core? LOL And more to come. How many spools so far. And how expensive is it? It would be interesting to look at the difference in price between the two (Gas mig vs flux)

I went through a 2lb roll and just started on a 1lb roll. I really should have bought the 10lb roll but I decided not to. The 1lb's are $8 10lb and like $50 for the 10lb roll. Its a better deal but I just dont think I will need that much I don't have that many more fabrication projects in my head right now.

I like this cage. It's a little different and it'll be plenty strong with all the right gussets. Can you say "overhead storage"? :grinpimp:

-Tyler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom