Rocky Road Rack for Stock Rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do a little research on this company. I'll bet you stay very far away from their products for your LC. Try Gamiviti for a nice affordable and tough rack option.

Sent from my iPhone

I think @Landsharkman has one. Check with him to see how he likes it.

Looks like it mounts to the factory main rails. This statement seems a bit oxymoron "The incredibly strong Rocky Road Advnture rack mounts to your factory rails" How can it be "incredibly strong" if it mounts to the factory rails? Those are quite flimsy. I would not put a ton of weight on those factory bars. The rack does seem to be very functional and low profile which is nice, but "strong" is not a word I would use.

Last edited:
Years ago, I bought their 3rd Gen 4Runner sliders without doing any research on them. I hated them. The way they install where they bolt to the frame and the pinch weld on the body....I can't believe I actually went through with fully installing them...I shoulda sent them back and went with a better designed slider.

As for that rack, that thing is kinda cute, ain't it?!?! :p

Given that it utilizes the factory rack, I would not consider it for heavy duty hauling, but maybe for a canoe as the OP has enquired about. I've carried a 17 ft canoe on top of my factory roof rack rails and crossbars on my LX470....I didnt really like it, but it kinda worked and I wasn't driving very far with it up there. That rack at least looks like a slight upgrade over the stock cross bars....so for a canoe, or other light duty stuff where I wanted something better than stock, I think I'd consider it.

Last edited:
So much about their site would scare me away. Here's just one: "On the topic of the spare tire, some many this will not be an issue, for some it will. You cann't go much larger on your spare tire before it won't fit in the pocket under your Landcruiser anymore."

What?

Gotta love misinformation brought to you via the grammar of a toddler.

In addition to there contention being wrong - several larger sizes DO fit in the spare well - putting the tire on the roof rack is really not an ideal solution. For one - you're taking a good bit of weight from the lowest point on the truck and putting on the highest. Then, there's actually using that spare. Ever taken a 100 lb. tire off of a roof rack of a lifted truck? I've done it and seen it done. I've also heard "s***! Someone grab that!!!" more than once.

My rack has worked fine with everything I have put up there, adds a bit of wind noise, I changed out the side adj bolts to allen bolts for a flusher application, the factory side rails do not seem that weak the original crossbars did, I also have their rock rails and while I do admit their mount is a little different, when I added my Slee skid plates their mount no longer could be used, so they are now welded to the frame, It has actually worked out quite well in the long run, not that I would recommend the combination, Slee rails with Slee skid plates would have been better.

So much about their site would scare me away. Here's just one: "On the topic of the spare tire, some many this will not be an issue, for some it will. You cann't go much larger on your spare tire before it won't fit in the pocket under your Landcruiser anymore."

What?

Gotta love misinformation brought to you via the grammar of a toddler.

In addition to there contention being wrong - several larger sizes DO fit in the spare well - putting the tire on the roof rack is really not an ideal solution. For one - you're taking a good bit of weight from the lowest point on the truck and putting on the highest. Then, there's actually using that spare. Ever taken a 100 lb. tire off of a roof rack of a lifted truck? I've done it and seen it done. I've also heard "s***! Someone grab that!!!" more than once.

I certainly will not look forward to putting or taking down a spare from up there, but the only time I will is when I take two spares, my spare is now mounted on a Slee bumper, I never liked the spare underneath scraping on rocks and things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom