Stock roof rack with heavier duty rails? Does this exist? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a video of a 4runner with stock sides of his roof rack but beefed up steel cross member rails with different attachment points of gear. I want this for my LX but can’t find anything. I do not want to spend $1k plus for a roof rack if I don’t have to. If this doesn’t exist for the 100 series someone should make it.

Is there anything out there like this? I want some light storage containers, Jerry cans, maybe my Gazelle tent etc on the roof.

I used 80/20 extruded aluminum and made my own brackets along with some from @nakman he also has brackets that work.

or run a Yakima mega warrior style basket on top of factory rails. I ran this setup before I got the Prinsu rack.

49645791171_3cf2143339_b.jpg

Yea but you still have the relatively low weight limit due to factory rail limitations. But then again I may not need the extra weight…

My entire build philosophy is keeping the rig lighter weight.
or run a Yakima mega warrior style basket on top of factory rails. I ran this setup before I got the Prinsu rack.

49645791171_3cf2143339_b.jpg

Yea but you still have the relatively low weight limit due to factory rail limitations. But then again I may not need the extra weight…

My entire build philosophy is keeping the rig lighter weight.
I rememeber when I said that to myself, now I scale in at 6800 lbs =[

Totally appreciate that philosphy, keep the weight down and low on the vehicle.

Before my rack I added +2 factory cross bars. That was pretty sweet. I rigged up a chainsaw and some dry bags along with a bundle or two of wood and any other crap I could throw up there. I'm not a fan of fuel cans on the roof or spare tires but to each their own.

The Yakima basket suggested above would be a good work around and would force you to not overload everything but give some good storage space. Same for the 80/20 if you want more of a proper rack platform.

There is also a lot of room in the vehicle, what are you working with down below? Maybe pull a back seat out and make that your little gear section? Just some ideas.

OR empty out that piggy bank but be happy with a fancy roof rack =] The one who dies with the most toys wins

1691094105919.png

I rememeber when I said that to myself, now I scale in at 6800 lbs =[

Totally appreciate that philosphy, keep the weight down and low on the vehicle.

Before my rack I added +2 factory cross bars. That was pretty sweet. I rigged up a chainsaw and some dry bags along with a bundle or two of wood and any other crap I could throw up there. I'm not a fan of fuel cans on the roof or spare tires but to each their own.

The Yakima basket suggested above would be a good work around and would force you to not overload everything but give some good storage space. Same for the 80/20 if you want more of a proper rack platform.

There is also a lot of room in the vehicle, what are you working with down below? Maybe pull a back seat out and make that your little gear section? Just some ideas.

OR empty out that piggy bank but be happy with a fancy roof rack =] The one who dies with the most toys wins

View attachment 3391587
Looks like the Yakima rack is 3/4 as expensive as a real rack system so I’ll probably just end up getting that.

So my build philosophy is definitely a front bumper probably a dissent or something on the lighter side. With a winch, of course. I’m thinking about keeping my rear bumper and just putting some kind of swing out spare tire system on it. Plan is to be able to carry a small dual sport bike on a hitch carrier. I’m keeping the AHC system and I will probably add airbags to the back. Going to try to do a sensor lift and run 33 tires. We will have our hundred pound great Pyrenees with us so I need room in the back for her and I don’t want any kind of heavy drawer system. I’ll probably fold the backseat flat against the front seats and put a refrigerator camp, stove and gear. I need there and have the dog More towards the rear. So on the roof rack, I would need to put our gazelle tent, Jack, recovery boards, and other items like that. Will have an awning connected obviously and somewhere probably on the back I’ll have a couple Jerry cans of extra fuel, etc. etc. Nothing crazy.

We travel in a bus and that is our home and base camp so at most will probably go out for two or three days at a time but I’d like to get out and really remote places like the middle of Canyon lands, etc.

I went with 80/20 and kept the stock side rails:

It works well for my needs. I had a RTT bolted to it in the past and now use it for a 270 awning and solar.

I went with 80/20 and kept the stock side rails:

It works well for my needs. I had a RTT bolted to it in the past and now use it for a 270 awning and solar.
That’s that’s exactly what I was asking about! Is that the brand 80/20? I was asking about heavier duty bars to use with my existing rack sides.

Yup, aluminum extrusion works well. The 15 series is the one you want to look at. They have a bunch of different profiles available so you can get creative.

Looks like the Yakima rack is 3/4 as expensive as a real rack system so I’ll probably just end up getting that.
Yakima is a real rack system :). And the full size platform N (1,930mm x 1,380mm) with 6 legs is 33.7kgs. If you have a sunroof, consider a platform L, which is only 1,390mm long and is set back far enough to be outside the sunroof's area.

It takes me 5 minutes to attach or remove the awning with 4 x hex screws, and the Yakima AceO'Spades are bolted onto the awning brackets.

The only thing on the wishlist would be the Ruggedline mounting system - alas Yakima aren't likely to do these for the hunjys. :(

PXL_20230803_224536390.jpg
PXL_20230803_224704162.jpg

PXL_20230803_224935583.jpg

Yakima is a real rack system :). And the full size platform N (1,930mm x 1,380mm) with 6 legs is 33.7kgs. If you have a sunroof, consider a platform L, which is only 1,390mm long and is set back far enough to be outside the sunroof's area.

It takes me 5 minutes to attach or remove the awning with 4 x hex screws, and the Yakima AceO'Spades are bolted onto the awning brackets.

The only thing on the wishlist would be the Ruggedline mounting system - alas Yakima aren't likely to do these for the hunjys. :(

View attachment 3391698View attachment 3391699
View attachment 3391700
Those are legit. I was talking about the basket that goes on my existing stock roof rack

In the running for the best quote on mud.
Wish I could take credit for it...About 15 years ago I saw some old man driving a pickup truck loaded with dirt bikes and camping gear all over...he was pulling a huge camper...and that camper was pulling boat...his old lady was parked nearby with a similar setup

I started talking to him and that was his farewell bit of insight for me as he drove off laughing like a banshee. Quite inspirational.

To add some insight for OP..... In my experience, I've ended up spending more money modifying something twice or three times on the cruiser because I cheaped out the first time . That may not be the case with this approach since 8020 is prob way more affordable than other options. Like I built two sleeper platforms and blue a bunch of money in lumber before realizing it sucks ad I should have just bought one from air down gear up =]

Either way take your time , weigh the pros and cons , and if a proper roof rack will provide a lot more functionality for you it's worth saving up for.

I have used the 8020 approach now on my 100 and my 4R. Believe I was under 400$ each. On the 100 I am running an 8' ARB awning, max trax, and a storage box so not a ton of weight. I have run more stuff up there but in general I hate a lot of weight on the roof.

link to 8020 80/20 Aluminum T-slot Building Systems | 80/20 Aluminum Extrusions - https://8020.net/

You can order with the ends tapped to what every hardware you like etc. If you go this route make sure you measure between the rails at every point you want a crossbar. Don't think the 100's rails grow or shrink front to back but never hurts to measure and be safe. Also don't forget to include your bracket width dim's when you account for the crossbar length.

I removed the factory cross bars and use 80/20. I don't notice any noise at all. With the sunroof open the crossbar shoves more air down inside, I'm fine with that. It's carried my canoes and kayaks just fine. I also got 2 extra long pieces of 80/20 to temporarily mount for when carrying 2 canoes side-by-side.

I'd like some sort of platform to be able to stand on, haven't figured that out yet. Also just picked up a 12v fridge/freezer, so thinking about mounting options for a solar panel to keep it running when vehicle is off.

How is everyone's wind noise with the change to 80/20 extrustions?
Its not good. You def need to add a fairing. and lucky @nakman has you covered on that two. (swear I am not affiliated, LOL)

I removed the factory cross bars and use 80/20. I don't notice any noise at all. With the sunroof open the crossbar shoves more air down inside, I'm fine with that. It's carried my canoes and kayaks just fine. I also got 2 extra long pieces of 80/20 to temporarily mount for when carrying 2 canoes side-by-side.

I'd like some sort of platform to be able to stand on, haven't figured that out yet. Also just picked up a 12v fridge/freezer, so thinking about mounting options for a solar panel to keep it running when vehicle is off.
no noise? wow. mine drove me crazy. So YMMV here OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom