Rock Crawling my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I have been wheeling for more then 4 decades in everything from Jeeps to full size 4x4 vans. Some of my favorites were early Bronco which I owned two of and a ford F250 that bought new. I put a 4" lift, smittybilt front & rear bumpers and 36" armstrong tru trac's and wheeled the piss out of that thing. That was considered built back in the day. And rock crawling had not even be invented.
Five years ago I owned a built out ford Van on tons locked and armored very similar to a sportsmobile but built by me to take to remote surfing destinations in Baja. But i a had a itch to try this new sport called rock crawling so I joined the local 4x4 club and on the first run I went on with them they were concerned about this big van not making it or getting torn up. I told them I was a grown a** man put me the back of the pack and if it gets to much for me I can turn around and go home on my own. Well the van got pretty scratched up but made the hole trail.
I made some good friends and said they do harder trails that the van for sure is not going to fit and I should consider getting something smaller to fit on the trail.
So I started to look for a builder I did not have my hart set on anything in particular, but when a bone stock 3x locked mommy and me 80 pop up no my local Craigslist I new I had to have it.
1593655434475.png

When I went to next meet with the Cruiser they were like we said get something smaller,I was like compared to the Van it is smaller and was undeterred. I went on line to start research on my new to me Rig and found this great site IH8MUD and joined immediately.
When I stated my intentions I was met with 80s don't make good rock crawlers or you well be dragging you a** trying to keep up with built 4runners & mini trucks.
1593656612590.png

Here's some of the Rigs in our group.
1593656774496.png

When I had it built to a point that I was ready for the first wheeling trip the group was going to Johnson Valley. I was meet with the same opposition, I was told that the trails would be hard and there was a good chance body damage.
I told them I still want to go and the fear of damage would not stop me.
Hear's some pics of that first trip.
1593657715987.png
1593657785323.png

And body damage there was but I was able to keep up with the rest of the group. That was on 35s
It was really hard to go home and tell my wife that even through I only had one trip on my 35s that I really needed 37s after some convincing I got the approval. So the 35s went up for sale and I got some 37" Trxus for me these tires were a game changer.

Last edited:
Cool story...curious how your club views the 80 after you’ve brought it on the club run?

Now after four seasons of wheeling the 80, I feel it makes a dam good Crawler if that's what it's built for. If you throw the overlanding catalog at it, It's probably not going to be a good rock Crawler. If you fear body damage and need to drive it home probably the same thing.
Don't get me wrong I never want to damage my Rig but I know that If I wheel it hard it inevitable.
Also I tow my Rig to the trail so I can give it My all and know I can still get it home
1593659665997.png

Also I have worked hard to keep it as lite as possible. Second and third row seats removed including seat belts, rear heater, ABS, spare tire holder rear frame crossmember all removed. One battery, anything I could do to make lighter.
The way it set's in this pik with the spare in the back my tool bag and recovery gear it weighed in at 5400 lbs

Last edited:
Cool story...curious how your club views the 80 after you’ve brought it on the club run?
Its pretty well respected now that it has proven it's self.

One of the best thing I like about my 80 is that when one of the jeep buggy's or built 4 runners pull up to a Obstacle people just expect them to make it. Then when I pull up and walk right up people are impressed. When I pulled up to the Soup Bowl on the Rubicon Trail there was a group of on lookers as I passed they asked if I was going to try it and started snickering. after I walked right up no one was laughing then. The next two Rig's to try it did not make it up.
More wheeling Piks
1593788702646.png
1593788826358.png
1593661726601.png

Last edited:
I never have a issue keeping up with the rest of the group, and often make it look easier. Sand Hollow trip
1593662122639.png
1593662177696.png
1593662242065.png

So this whole thread is about how right you were/are and everyone else is wrong? Keep patting yourself on the back.

So this whole thread is about how right you were/are and everyone else is wrong? Keep patting yourself on the back.
Sorry you see it that way . The Cruiser continues to in-press me every time I wheel it.

She fly's pretty good as well.
1593697034131.png
1593697094138.png
1593697162590.png

I get a similar response when I wheel out here in New England. Most of the guys I wheel with are in JKs and they give me concerned looks and a snicker here or there. After a day of wheeling, I don't get that reaction anymore. Great thread.

Hollister Hills
1593697316230.png
1593697379897.png

Tillamook Forest, Cruising the woods
1593697570019.png
1593697616250.png

It makes me happy to see people who use their cruisers offroad. So many of these "builds" never leave the pavement. I would love to see details on what mods you did, what worked and what didn't work, and future plans.

The FZJ80 really is a great out-of-the-box wheeler (if equipped with factory lockers). With just some bolt on items (suspension, wheels / tires, body armor), these things are ready to hit the trails. However, I do wish they were not as fat (wide) and also weighed less.

It makes me happy to see people who use their cruisers offroad. So many of these "builds" never leave the pavement. I would love to see details on what mods you did, what worked and what didn't work, and future plans.

The FZJ80 really is a great out-of-the-box wheeler (if equipped with factory lockers). With just some bolt on items (suspension, wheels / tires, body armor), these things are ready to hit the trails. However, I do wish they were not as fat (wide) and also weighed less.

This is not tech.
Your spelling errors make me cry.
Worthy of a Facebook post.
Jonhead
I think your one of the Greats on this forums. Always helpful and informative, it seem that your knowledge of the 80 series is unsurpassed.
I am truly sorry that I disappoint you and yeah my spelling and grammar suck.
If the mediators see fit they can move this thread to chat or wherever.
Sincerely Richard Birch

Last edited:
Lets see some pics of this van!

I dont know what the problem is with your post. I'm glad to see it and glad to see you're wheeling the fat girl. I just took my buxom viaja for a ride after years of downtime. She's back baby! She's back!

I rock crawl in my 91 with the local jeep crew all the time. At first, they were skeptical, but now it has proven to be able to keep up with them. All on 37s 40s. The 80s can hold its own with the exception of some super narrow stuff which i am not willing to risk body damage.
8DQJlYY.jpg

dYdXyvD.jpg

kqqX5D8.jpg

nM6JUsZ.jpg

lBfE97E.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom