roaring noise??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just recently aquired my first FJ40. I have a chevy sb with a stock 3 speed tranny. I just started driving it after rebuilding the front end, replacing the brakes, etc. On my first outing I noticed a loud roaring noise coming from the tranny?(I think). &nbsp:Does anyone know what could be causing this horrible noise. *It stops as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator and starts as I depress it. Thanks

Pull the bottom off of the t/case & check out the condition of gears/brgs. Check for discoloured gears/brgs &/or loss of hard casing. Probably buggered from lack of oil at a prior stage.

may be just needing to be driven awile, if it has set up for some time..should quiet down,,,,,pat

I would make sure there is oil in the tranny, landcruisers, at least the older ones are built for four wheeling, no insulation, all steel gears, no plastic, so they can be loud. You could very well have a bearing going out but, when I rebuilt my first cruiser I was amazed at how loud it was but thats the nature of the beast. If you drain your gear oil and see lots of metal then there could be a problem but on the other hand maybe its just because its built that way. Newer vehicles have teflon gears, gears cut to be much quieter, lots of insulating material, etc. etc. At any rate let us know what you find.

Thanks for everyones help. This is my first cruiser and I am a little new to it. I do have to say one thing thought....This is the best 4 wheelin vehicle I have ever driven. I got to thinking about it and did realize that there was no isulating material what-so-ever and it was made for off road use. I guess I won't me haulin down the interstate anytime soon.

THANKS,

Adam

Although there can be multiple sources of the roaring noise, probably the most common is a worn idler gear shaft in the transfer case.

Does the noise go away with the clutch in or out. I have (had) a 3spd 350 combo and had trouble with pilot bushings. I had a bushing at first but it must have spun and had to replace. I went with a pilot bearing second time. Lasted about a year. I am in the middle of a 465 swap now and when I pulled the 3spd all the needles were gone out of the pilot. Mine would howl with the clutch in if it helps any. Good luck.

I posted the same question a few months back on a different web sight. I pretty much got the same response. I have taken numerous people for rides trying to determine if it is rear end, tcase or tranny noise. Right or wrong I have taken on the mentality that I will drive her till she brakes. I am not getting any bad oil yet the noise persists. My noise is between 35 and 40 and only when trying to maintain speed. It goes away when I let up on the gas or accelerate. I thouht the noise was more of a howl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom