Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll also add Alaska is probably the least EV friendly state. Our state economy has been tied mostly to oil and gas for ~50 years. Like I said above we have the worst charging infrastructure. That said, in Anchorage it is uncommon for me to be at a large intersection and not see another EV. Just the other day I was at one of our largest exchanges and EVs outnumbered ICEs. I noticed A polestar, two eTron, a Kona EV, a hummer EV (a guy I know, has a ~20 car garage, also has a Bugatti), and seven teslas.

I’ll also add Alaska is probably the least EV friendly state. Our state economy has been tied mostly to oil and gas for ~50 years. Like I said above we have the worst charging infrastructure. That said, in Anchorage it is uncommon for me to be at a large intersection and not see another EV. Just the other day I was at one of our largest exchanges and EVs outnumbered ICEs. I noticed A polestar, two eTron, a Kona EV, a hummer EV (a guy I know, has a ~20 car garage, also has a Bugatti), and seven teslas.
I saw a Lucid Air this morning. It was so dirty but so cool looking I had to follow it to Safeway to talk to the guy. Surprisingly, he was from Wasilla.

As I've said I have a Rivian on order so I'm a fan but you just have to look at what it actually can do vs what it might do on paper.

Rivian needs a charging network to rival Tesla since they sell them selves as an outdoor travel type of vehicle.
It isn't built for max EV efficiency so that it can be more outdoorsy and set it self apart from the around the town EVs.

Packed with gear, stuff strapped to roof, tire size, and even Road vs Offroad tires chip away at the published range

Range anxiety on a long road trip with 3 kids and wife plus uncertainty when in semi remote places will really limit the feasibility of using it for anything over 3-5 hours range of driving and probably 2-3 hour range if towing any sort of trailer.

But again I'm a fan and can't wait to get ours. And I will tow my patriot X3 with it to a local state park for sure.

I saw a Lucid Air this morning. It was so dirty but so cool looking I had to follow it to Safeway to talk to the guy. Surprisingly, he was from Wasilla.
I haven’t seen a Lucid here yet. I wonder if it was that guy that has/had an original roadster, X ludicrous, S plaid. Only Rivian’s I’ve seen were in Wasilla, and there a ton of Teslas there. I have this feeling most probably live closer to Palmer/fish hook which has boomed with the urban hipster, telework crowd from the lower 48. Which is great for the valley.

Rivian..... the 21st century Studebaker. Here today...gone tomorrow!
I think at this point they are very likely to make it. Worst case would probably be a buy out from someone larger, but highly unlikely to go under (without leadership meltdown)

I think at this point they are very likely to make it. Worst case would probably be a buy out from someone larger, but highly unlikely to go under (without leadership meltdown)
Poor business model and horrible financisl statement per two of my investment bankers.
Latest:
"Rivian Automotive has released the financial results for the second quarter of 2022, and the company continues to burn through cash at an even higher rate than before. The EV startup posted a revenue of $364 million in Q2 while its net loss widened to $1.71 billion, from $580 million the year before.Aug 12, 2022"

Yeah, my wife works with rivian on their telecom financing contracts, and let's just say that company is a s*** show based on her eye level.

Though to be fair, Tesla was in near-collapse mode about 4 years ago and is still run by a crackhead who should have his phone taken away from him, but they seem to be here to stay now.

Yeah, my wife works with rivian on their telecom financing contracts, and let's just say that company is a s*** show based on her eye level.

Though to be fair, Tesla was in near-collapse mode about 4 years ago and is still run by a crackhead who should have his phone taken away from him, but they seem to be here to stay now.
Tesla sucked off of the Federal Government titty for a couple of those years. Without he would have been the first ever Studebaker to fold. He did psy it back though.

Poor business model and horrible financisl statement per two of my investment bankers.
Latest:
"Rivian Automotive has released the financial results for the second quarter of 2022, and the company continues to burn through cash at an even higher rate than before. The EV startup posted a revenue of $364 million in Q2 while its net loss widened to $1.71 billion, from $580 million the year before.Aug 12, 2022"
All startups are like this. But when much of that cash is from the deep pockets of Amazon…

yeah with their fleet of amazon trucks and the contracts for more, I think they have a lifeline and will be able to putter along

I think the car has been universally well received and will deliver extremely well for the right buyer and their needs

I think the software can continually be updated and improved...

The kicker is will they be able to build the charging network. That is going to make or brake this company.

I think they have hit the goals for the car and quality without having to compromise too much on their initial designs
They've missed the mark for timeline promises....but anyone expected more out of startup car company plus out of the blue pandemic and supply issues....was being delusional
They've way underdelivered the charging network and that will be the thing to watch for....

Burning through cash and not being profitable for years and years is the new normal for companies...
All the silicon valley unicorns had very similar beginnings and many of the big ones are still not profitable on paper but valued over the moon....

Autopilot will aid long distance travel greatly. I've done several 1k+ trips in an EV. The rythm is different. Not necessarily worse, just different. Granted the gasser maybe faster as the stops can be shorter. But I find the EV stops more relaxing and I'm more refreshed overall after such long drives.
Tesla could license autopilot for petrol vehicles. There is nothing magical about an EV, it’s just that Tesla only offers autopilot on their vehicles.

I’d love autopilot on the cruiser. I like driving but somewhere around 6-8 hours I’m sufficiently uncomfortable and I’d trade off with a computer.

Tesla could license autopilot for petrol vehicles. There is nothing magical about an EV, it’s just that Tesla only offers autopilot on their vehicles.

I’d love autopilot on the cruiser. I like driving but somewhere around 6-8 hours I’m sufficiently uncomfortable and I’d trade off with a computer.

That's certainly true.

Could be said for so many other technologies they introduced like superchargers, 1 pedal driving, automation everything, OTA updates... Many things other manufacturers are finally now dabbling in.

The reality is that Toyota is painfully conservative - and they haven't and probably won't keep up with innovation at the pace of Tesla. Can't blame consumers for flocking to where the game is.

That's certainly true.

Could be said for so many other technologies they introduced like superchargers, 1 pedal driving, automation everything, OTA updates... Many things other manufacturers are finally now dabbling in.

The reality is that Toyota is painfully conservative - and they haven't and probably won't keep up with innovation at the pace of Tesla. Can't blame consumers for flocking to where the game is.
They are innovative for sure, pretty much all the major manufactures are playing second fiddle to them. Admittedly I did consider a used Leaf for our city car, mostly because they can be had for <$10k with 10-20k miles on them

They are innovative for sure, pretty much all the major manufactures are playing second fiddle to them. Admittedly I did consider a used Leaf for our city car, mostly because they can be had for <$10k with 10-20k miles on them
I have a leaf with 63k miles. dead reliable. range sucks and they are pretty basic compared to newer EVs. it is my get around car. charging at home is sweet. it’s rated something like 120mpg. It’s a nice trade off with the LC. I recently did the front brakes and rotors. besides that, i just rotate tires, wipers. haven’t done anything else.

to keep it relevant to the thread, i spotted the R1S. it is long, longer than the LC maybe. i’m a fan. if they can bump that range another 100 miles, i would probably look into getting one in a few years.

EC59501F-6ED4-4274-800C-104FEFF1E7C2.jpeg

Oooo that’s a limestone which is the color I ordered. Haven’t seen a true r1s in that color yet. Wife likes the gray but that limestone looks nice.

That's certainly true.

Technically, nissan beat tesla to 1-pedal driving. My early 2019 3 still couldn't stop itself when I bought it, came with an update a few months down the road.

I have a leaf with 63k miles. dead reliable. range sucks and they are pretty basic compared to newer EVs. it is my get around car. charging at home is sweet. it’s rated something like 120mpg. It’s a nice trade off with the LC. I recently did the front brakes and rotors. besides that, i just rotate tires, wipers. haven’t done anything else.

to keep it relevant to the thread, i spotted the R1S. it is long, longer than the LC maybe. i’m a fan. if they can bump that range another 100 miles, i would probably look into getting one in a few years.

View attachment 3127877
I find it funny it has worse range then the truck version. I figured it would be at least the same or better. But a 260-316mi. range is not good for a family suv. The rear end is much better looking then the front end. The front end looks cartoonishly wimpy. My crazy “small suv only” driving wife who has never liked driving large vehicles, thought the Rivian also looked wimpy so she got the opportunity to demo the Hummer ev from a local owner friend awhile back and she loved it. Couldn’t believe how easy and comfortable it was to drive. To her it felt smaller and easier to drive then our Land Cruiser, which is shocking as the monstrosity it massive. She sat in a Rivian at our local cars and coffee, didn’t get to drive it but wasn’t impressed. I personally liked the inside the Rivian and how great it would be for running around town and grabbing the occasional scoop of mulch, etc. Should get the Hummer by end of next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom