Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EV has a LONG way to go before it's usable long term for everyone. As much as the 200 is a gas hog, the Rivian range just isn't there. Neither is the range of the Tesla, or Lucid, or any of those.
300 miles is plenty for almost everyone anywhere in the US. Only scenario EVs aren’t better is towing campers.

300 miles is plenty for almost everyone anywhere in the US. Only scenario EVs aren’t better is towing campers.

To me personally, it isn't the 300 mile range that's an issue.. but the charge times in between. I can refuel in minutes vs waiting hours to recharge.

That said, you're probably correct in that for "almost" everyone the range is not an issue. That said, quite a few LC owners are a different breed when it comes to distances haha.

To me personally, it isn't the 300 mile range that's an issue.. but the charge times in between. I can refuel in minutes vs waiting hours to recharge.

That said, you're probably correct in that for "almost" everyone the range is not an issue. That said, quite a few LC owners are a different breed when it comes to distances haha.
I did a ~450 mile trip (Anchorage AK to Homer and back) in one day 2 weeks ago in my model 3. I was 9 hours round trip and stopped twice to charge, once for 12 min to get a drink and use the rest room and once for 15 min to eat. It usually takes 15-20 min to fuel my LX at my local Costco. Can take 30min at the Fred meyer in Soldotona.

Other than long trips daily driving it takes me 0 min to charge a month . If I was to drive my LX daily I’d spend 1.5-2 hrs a month.

Something with twice the Wh will take twice the time to charge to a similar level correct?

If it takes 15-20 minutes for you to fill up a gasoline tank on your 200 then you have to be at the worlds slowest pumps. I can put 40 gallons of diesel in a tank at any of my local filling stations in well under 10 minutes. EV Range is an issue for a lot of us, I have put over 48K miles on my 200 in under two years and I put 58K on my last Super Duty in just 17 months. For myself, on a daily and weekly basis, an EV is so far out of the question it isn't even funny. Beyond range and time to charge there's the lack of charging stations and of course the towing consideration. EV's have their place but they are far from replacing a petrol vehicle for a lot of us.

I did a ~450 mile trip (Anchorage AK to Homer and back) in one day 2 weeks ago in my model 3. I was 9 hours round trip and stopped twice to charge, once for 12 min to get a drink and use the rest room and once for 15 min to eat. It usually takes 15-20 min to fuel my LX at my local Costco. Can take 30min at the Fred meyer in Soldotona.

Other than long trips daily driving it takes me 0 min to charge a month . If I was to drive my LX daily I’d spend 1.5-2 hrs a month.

I guess it works for your type of driving.. though you are comparing it to an egg shaped model 3.

When I drive long distances of 1,500-2,000 miles or more one way, I don't like to stop for more than a few minutes which is plenty of time to refuel..

Also, why does your LX take 20 minutes to refuel? Or is that including a 15 minute stop at Costco food court? 😄

Is it really doing 300 miles per charge, on average?

Is it really doing 300 miles per charge, on average?
It is rated to 320. Reports I’ve see people are getting rated. I consistently get rated or better daily driving in my Model 3 and S well until temps get into the single digits F.

I guess it works for your type of driving.. though you are comparing it to an egg shaped model 3.

When I drive long distances of 1,500-2,000 miles or more one way, I don't like to stop for more than a few minutes which is plenty of time to refuel..

Also, why does your LX take 20 minutes to refuel? Or is that including a 15 minute stop at Costco food court? 😄
Well I don’t have a gas station on my way to and from work. Have to go out of my way to hit Costco. I don’t think I ever go there when I don’t have to at least wait on 2 vehicles before me. So including the drive out of my way ~20-30 min.

I’ve gotten to the point I hate the time it takes refueling my last fuel car, most of the time I make one of my teens do it. Home charging is something people don’t think about the convenience until they own an EV.

In 1500-2k miles you are stopping more than just to refuel… I’m in Alaska I drive that far in state. We do 1500-2000 miles round trip over 4 days to caribou hunt. The trip wouldn’t take me any longer in a Rivian then it does in my LX.

Something with twice the Wh will take twice the time to charge to a similar level correct?
Yes. You are correct. The 2nd time when I ate probably didn’t have to charge.

The Rivian can pull 220kw so could get ~160 miles of range in <20 min.

I tend to agree with everything @coleAK has shared as an EV owner over 12 yrs now. I'm pretty gung ho about the future of EV trucks to do what I'm doing now with the LX (with the help of an LRA aux tank). Not with the currently available trucks, but the highest capacity future CT. Hopefully Tesla can cram 200+ kwh into her. I'll need the highest capacity for towing.

For charging, it's not necessarily true that bigger packs need more time. Supercharger charge rates have been increasing, generally commensurate with battery capacity. Smaller packs today aren't taking advantage of charge rates available for bigger packs. And those rates will continue to improve.

I tend to agree with everything @coleAK has shared as an EV owner over 12 yrs now. I'm pretty gung ho about the future of EV trucks to do what I'm doing now with the LX (with the help of an LRA aux tank). Not with the currently available trucks, but the highest capacity future CT. Hopefully Tesla can cram 200+ kwh into her. I'll need the highest capacity for towing.

For charging, it's not necessarily true that bigger packs need more time. Supercharger charge rates have been increasing, generally commensurate with battery capacity. Smaller packs today aren't taking advantage of charge rates available for bigger packs. And those rates will continue to improve.
For towing some RV manufacturer will eventually realize they can beef up the frame and axles and drop a battery pack in the trailer to increase your range. Hit a supercharger with two electric plugs and charge both simultaneously. Tesla Trailer (call it the TT, which fits right into Musk’s S3XY naming scheme).

In 1500-2k miles you are stopping more than just to refuel… I’m in Alaska I drive that far in state. We do 1500-2000 miles round trip over 4 days to caribou hunt.

Ummm no, I don't stop for more than to refuel 😄 When I drive 1500-2,000 miles, I try to cover it within 2-3 days tops.

Ummm no, I don't stop for more than to refuel 😄 When I drive 1500-2,000 miles, I try to cover it within 2-3 days tops.

Autopilot will aid long distance travel greatly. I've done several 1k+ trips in an EV. The rythm is different. Not necessarily worse, just different. Granted the gasser maybe faster as the stops can be shorter. But I find the EV stops more relaxing and I'm more refreshed overall after such long drives.

Autopilot will aid long distance travel greatly. I've done several 1k+ trips in an EV. The rythm is different. Not necessarily worse, just different. Granted the gasser maybe faster as the stops can be shorter. But I find the EV stops more relaxing and I'm more refreshed overall after such long drives.

What can I say... I don't stop to smell the roses 😁

Yeah, but us Tesla guys are spoiled when it comes to charging. Every other EV is slower. Not calling you out, but the times you posted don't really jive with my experience unless you were just driving really efficiently and doing top-offs. It's still definitely way slower than pumping gas, requires more planning, etc.

I don't take my 3 on road trips and I've only charged away from home a handful of times in 3+ years. As a comparison, my buddy has a Y that replaced his family SUV, so he takes it on a lot of group trips with me. Compared to the rest of us in our ICE vehicles, the inconvenience and time factor is palpable. Manageable, but still very real.

Yeah, but us Tesla guys are spoiled when it comes to charging. Every other EV is slower. Not calling you out, but the times you posted don't really jive with my experience unless you were just driving really efficiently and doing top-offs. It's still definitely way slower than pumping gas, requires more planning, etc.

I don't take my 3 on road trips and I've only charged away from home a handful of times in 3+ years. As a comparison, my buddy has a Y that replaced his family SUV, so he takes it on a lot of group trips with me. Compared to the rest of us in our ICE vehicles, the inconvenience and time factor is palpable. Manageable, but still very real.

Tesla's are the only game for legitimate long distance today. Everything else is yrs behind. In their CA home base driving the supercharger rich I5 corridor, gives a taste of the future and it's abundant, fast (V3s), and effortless.

You bring up another point on mixed convoys. My friends and I talk about this as some of our routes are planned to hit the minimal gas stops in more desolate regions. 2 rigs in our group are so overbuilt, the can barely touch 200miles range. Trying to integrate an EV would be painful.

We have one Tesla Supercharger location in Alaska. The one I hit on this trip. I think we are the rare state that has better non-tesla fast charging as we have four (soon to be more) EA locations and only the one Tesla that only opened this past spring.

Left home with 95%. Got to the super charger, 148 miles away with 50%, Plugged in for the amount of time it took my buddy and I to get a drink and use the restroom which according to my log was 12 min and got me from 50 to 94%. 70 miles later arrived In Homer with 76% I plugged into 50a (for free) while we winterized his boat for <1 hr and got back to 93%. On the way back I made it to the Soldotona super charger with 70% (were able to go faster then on the way there) didn’t need to charge but plugged in with the limit set to 90%. Made it back home with 45% (had a strong headwind the last 50miles). Entire trip cost me $18.34, in the LX would have cost me ~$200.

In an EV Speed is a larger factor than in ICEs. We don’t have wide open roads in Alaska so this trip most of the time I was 55-60 mpg and never went over 70 mph. At 55-60 I get rated range, around town <50mph I get 10-15% better than rated. Going 65+ more like 10-15% worse than rated.

We now have atleast 4 charging stations here in Homer. Not Tesla Superchargers but I have seen Teslas (and a Ford Lightning) charging there overnight.

We now have atleast 4 charging stations here in Homer. Not Tesla Superchargers but I have seen Teslas (and a Ford Lightning) charging there overnight.
I usually charge in Homer at the art shop gallery, this trip I plugged in at the Heratige campground on the spit. As of this week Homer has a DC super charger at the Driftwood inn.

In addition to these Denali Brewing put in their own DC charger at the main location near the Spur. And there is the Tesla SC at the whistle stop in Soldotna.

When trapper creek and Healy open Anchorage to Fairbanks will be able to be done in an EV in about the same time as an ICE.

This is great to see as of one year ago we had zero DC chargers in Alaska, but this spring we should have at least 10. With the network it is now to the point where one in Alaska could easily own only EVs.

A26F2FE9-F843-4C7A-894A-E68FA7064DAE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom