Riveting Clutch Plates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1978 FJ40 2F motor: Repair manual directs for clutch plate disassembly, that the rivets be drilled out. The manual specifies 13/64 inch drill. On the pressure plate of my FJ40, 13/64 isn’t nearly enough to drill out the rivets. I ended up with 5/16 inch hole for a clean tap out. Any ideas why the descrepancy?
image.jpg

1978 FJ40 2F motor: Repair manual directs for clutch plate disassembly, that the rivets be drilled out. The manual specifies 13/64 inch drill. On the pressure plate of my FJ40, 13/64 isn’t nearly enough to drill out the rivets. I ended up with 5/16 inch hole for a clean tap out. Any ideas why the descrepancy?View attachment 3011868
Why are you doing this? When you order a clutch kit it should come with the P/Plate, Clutch disc and throw out bearing.

Why are you doing this? When you order a clutch kit it should come with the P/Plate, Clutch disc and throw out bearing.

Was thinking this too, the Aisin kit I used last month had everything I needed, no drilling required.

1978 FJ40 2F motor: Repair manual directs for clutch plate disassembly, that the rivets be drilled out. The manual specifies 13/64 inch drill. On the pressure plate of my FJ40, 13/64 isn’t nearly enough to drill out the rivets. I ended up with 5/16 inch hole for a clean tap out. Any ideas why the descrepancy?View attachment 3011868
buy a clutch kit, silly. it's not 1974

L
I would like to have the clutch cover powder coated to match gearbox and motor etc. Is this not a good idea?

I would like to have the clutch cover powder coated to match gearbox and motor etc. Is this not a good idea?
You can’t see it once the dust cover is on (or really while it’s off even) so why?

L

I think your opening a can of worms for no reason. You will end up with a bunch of springs, shims and a lot of other parts that have to be put back and most like pressed back together to get it reassembled. It's something that wont be seen except for the next person replacing the clutch. Every time a clutch is replaced the pp should be replaced too. It comes in raw steel, It would probably be best to just paint it if that's what you want, but don't get any on the mating disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom