Right suspension to preserve stock height with Slee Rear Bumper / TJM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took a look on search but did not see the answer to this question. I would like to take a stock 100, add TJM bumper to the front, Slee to the rear, and as close as possible preserve the stock height and handling.

Questions: 1) Which rear springs would be most likely to get me back to stock height with the bumper weight (or just a little over stock). 2) You think the OME torsion bars are needed to preserve good handling, or should I just crank the OEM torsion bars us and save the money.

I have a built 80 and would primarily like to use the 100 on road (for now). But after having two friends in LX470's rear ended hard in the last month, both having big medical issues now from it, figure it could to hurt to put some armor on the truck. Thanks!

OME 865's for the rear. I didn't like the handling with the stock t-bars and the TJM, but I didn't bother to crank them either. I am sure others will chime in.

I am all in favor of a new rear bumper, but I don't think the armor is going to help the occupants much in a rear ender. Unless you have a pair in the 3rd row. A crumple zone would be better for that, but that isn't really an option.

865's on the rear will give you the ride height you want though you will bottom out the suspension often and will not like it. 866 would be my rec. Same height though they stiffen as they compress.

He stated he wanted stock height...

The 865's worked very well for me when I just had the bumper on the rear of my 100. However it will be taller than stock height. I think (ask Christo to be sure) the 860(?) is the stock height spring with slightly stiffer spring rate.

A counter-opinion on the 866's: I thought they sucked. If you decide to increase your load the softer "progressive" portion of the coil will collapse leaving you with fewer stiffer coils to do the work. IMO it is not a good design or solution...looks good on paper but didn't work that way on my rig.

Regarding the crumple zone issue: If you are going to get a steel rear bumper soley for increased rear end collision protection I am not sure that, above say 10mph or so, you are going to diffuse an impact. To counter that however: The stock bumper doesn't offer any real crumple zone either...it will just collapse quite easily to the frame crossmember anyway...

Question? With The Ome Setup Do You Have To Change The Shocks On Them If I Have Fairly New Stock Ones On The Truck? Meaning If I Can Just Do With Out Changing Them.....i Have The 866's For The Rear And The OME torsion bars In The Front. Does It Need Longer Shocks For This Type Of Setup?

Question? With The Ome Setup Do You Have To Change The Shocks On Them If I Have Fairly New Stock Ones On The Truck? Meaning If I Can Just Do With Out Changing Them.....i Have The 866's For The Rear And The OME torsion bars In The Front. Does It Need Longer Shocks For This Type Of Setup?

Yes you need the longer shocks...the stockers won't be long enough for ~2" lift...

Thanks

Thank You For Informing Me On That Detail. Now I Have To Go And Save For The Shocks. Which Ones Would You Recommend To Buy?

Thanks.....i'm Going To See Which Ones To Buy. I Have A While To Think About It!

Spresso, do you happen to have the specs for OEM shocks as well as your fancy Fox Shocks? I'd like to add it to the list.

attachment.php

*chart should read N74L and not N73L

Yeah, I think he is right about the rear armor not helping your head in a rear end collision.. I was rear ended in my 93 fj80 by a ford 250, luckily he hit square on my stock bumper where the frame comes out. His truck needed a tow but my car was basically fine. Had to have the rear bumper crossbar cut and a new piece welded back on as it was bent up a bit. It also helps to have a beefy tow hitch.
There were 4 of us in my car, all of us had some sort of whiplash from the collision.. They design crumple zones to absorb the energy but by having such a stiff rear end it sends all that energy to your neck and head. The only real protection you have is to make sure your headrests are at the right height.

Spresso, do you happen to have the specs for OEM shocks as well as your fancy Fox Shocks? I'd like to add it to the list.

attachment.php

*chart should read N74L and not N73L

I can dig up the shock model info however they require custom rear mounts and a custom upper front mount/eye conversion. The fronts would be relatively easy to fab but the rear set-up is pretty involved...

Still want the info?

Oh, yes, forgot about the custom mounts. Okay, nevermind that. If anybody has the OEM shock info, that would be great.

Stock height and stock handling are two separate issues. For the latter, I'd think you might consider spacers in the rear and stock t-bars up front. Stock ride is softer than just about anything you can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom