Reuseable Oil Air Filter for a '96 FZJ80? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
Does anyone know where I could by a reuseable (re-oil) foam air filter for my '96 FZJ80?

TRD offers something close but it's not foam.
-B-

If your into the TRD one I'll sell you one on the cheap. Not that I don't like it I just don't trust it or any foam one for that matter off road.
N

If you use a foam filter in the stock airbox I would switch to a paper filter for offroad.

I use a cone K&N on mine (intake) and use a filter pre-charger to keep the dust out.

From what I have read, the foam air filters are not such a good idea. They do not filter that well and are restrictive. Stick with the stock paper filter, if you want to go with something else consider a K&N. Be aware however that the K&N filters tend to let more dust into the engine, although they will continue to flow air long after a paper filter clogs up (for most driving, even off roading, you will not clog a paper filter).

Cary

I have a new in package 'Uni' foam filter, oil and spray cleaner.

Bought it for my old F engine, but it is the same as the FZJ filter...

Hit me direct if you are interested.

Jim

Thanks for the replys. I was reading on a 80 series Cruiser site (Aussie) that the reuseable foam air filter was the ticket down under. Foam is suppose to filter better that paper or oiled gause, and flow equal to gause. I don't the truth in those claims, that's why I'm checking it out. By the way Jim, what year and model Cruiser did the F engine Uni Filter fit?

Don't do it. I used to have RAM foam filter and it is just a crap. K&N,, other hand would be an option but it is best to stick with OEM.

I wouldn't use a KN filter unless you were always on the highway. In the past I used an Amsoil oil/foam/metal mesh air filter in my 60. I was happy with the results in it. Everything stayed clean inside the intake. The Aussies use Finer Filters, I think that is the name brand. If you were gutsy you could try a KN Filter with a foam oil bath wrap.

>> The Aussies use Finer Filters, I think that is the name brand. <<

Eric,
The Aussies have access to a brand called "Finer Filters." However, that brand isn't universally accepted as being better than the 80 series OEM paper filters. There was a long series of discussions a year or two ago on the 80sCool internation list concerning the "Finer Filter" brand and some comparison testing that was done with the Toyota paper filter. The concensus was that the OEM paper filter did a better job of filtering than any of the aftermarket filters.

(At least that's what I remember... could have been mistaken though.)
-B-

Thanks team, for the inputs and opinions on my question concerning the reuseable foam filter........ I will stick to the OEM filter.

While I think the OEM filters better, I'll stick with my K&N. I was 4-wheeling (ATVs) up on the snowmobile trails in the upper lower pennisula of MI once and the only guy without a cleanable air filter was done after the first day. If he carried spares, he would have been done the next day and much poorer after the trip. The dust was very thick and the paper filter just clogged right up. K&N gauze with the foam outer works pretty good for me. Watch putting wet oiled filter in a hot wire MAF equipped vehicle. I'm hearing stories of MAFs being wiped out with K&N oil.

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=6369;start=msg52133#msg52133 date=1066429085]
While I think the OEM filters better, I'll stick with my K&N. I was 4-wheeling (ATVs) up on the snowmobile trails in the upper lower pennisula of MI once and the only guy without a cleanable air filter was done after the first day. If he carried spares, he would have been done the next day and much poorer after the trip. The dust was very thick and the paper filter just clogged right up. K&N gauze with the foam outer works pretty good for me. Watch putting wet oiled filter in a hot wire MAF equipped vehicle. I'm hearing stories of MAFs being wiped out with K&N oil.
[/quote]
I have to wonder, if the K&N is not clogging up, where is all that dust going to end up? ???

FWIW, I'm currently running a cleanable TRD filter and Todd's post reminded me that it's time to check it and see what's going on. He also makes a good point that a cleanable/reusable filter has advantages.

And one other reminder... check your tuna can under the OEM air filter canister.

-B-

[quote author=firetruck41 link=board=2;threadid=6369;start=msg52144#msg52144 date=1066430856]
I have to wonder, if the K&N is not clogging up, where is all that dust going to end up? ???
[/quote]

The K&N filters did clog up, but they were cleanable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom