Builds Resurrecting a mothballed '86 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the manifolds off tonight. Of the 8 bolts that hold the assembly on, I only needed a wrench for 2 of them, the rest I was able to get out with my fingers.

I also found that the #6 tube for my EGR was broken where it connects to the main tube. Lots of exhaust and corrosion, so its not a new break. I also found that the rear-most exhaust horn on the manifold was not installed all the way and was cockeyed. When I pulled the horns out they appear to have the seals, but I don't see any springs?

Pics of my bits:

20180326_181931.jpg

20180326_193552.jpg

20180326_194748.jpg

Anyone have an extra EGR rail they are looking to sell?

Got the manifolds off tonight. Of the 8 bolts that hold the assembly on, I only needed a wrench for 2 of them, the rest I was able to get out with my fingers.

I also found that the #6 tube for my EGR was broken where it connects to the main tube. Lots of exhaust and corrosion, so its not a new break. I also found that the rear-most exhaust horn on the manifold was not installed all the way and was cockeyed. When I pulled the horns out they appear to have the seals, but I don't see any springs?

Pics of my bits:

View attachment 1664004
View attachment 1664005
View attachment 1664006

Anyone have an extra EGR rail they are looking to sell?
Springs are under the rings. My air rail broke in many pieces when I took it off, I've seen a few on eBay in the past.

Very nice work to date! I am hoping that I can get the FJ62 that I am waiting on paperwork completion.

Very nice work to date! I am hoping that I can get the FJ62 that I am waiting on paperwork completion.
Good luck! I loved my '62, they're great trucks....

I separated my manifolds last night, and found that the exhaust flapper is actually in great shape (other than being a little loose on the shaft.) No cracks in the intake manifold, and everything looks pretty good. The insulator and gaskets are completely destroyed - but that was expected.

The question is: would you replace the insulator plate and run it with the heat riser knowing that everything in there is in pretty good shape, or would you remove the heat riser and put in the block-off plate?

I already have the block-off plate sitting in my garage, I would need to order the insulator. It doesn't get very cold where I live, overnight lows in the winter get down to the upper 20's / low 30's. However, I believe that for the most part Toyota did a good job on their designs and the heat riser served a purpose. I also like to keep things stock unless there is a real reason not to. However, I also believe an ounce of prevention......

Open to thoughts & opinions on this one........

I had to replace the head gasket on my DD '80, so that's taken precedence over everything else - including working on my '60.

So in the meantime I've been working on cleaning and painting bits and amassing replacement parts.

I've been using electrolysis to remove rust, you can tell which part of this manifold stuck out of the water:

20180414_131524.jpg

Got my exhaust bits painted with high-temp manifold paint, they turned out great!

I dont care where you stand on the exhaust-horn issue, these are dang sexy:

20180421_113726.jpg

All of it is dang sexy or we wouldn’t be such suckers right?

@Nostradamus hooked me up with a useable air rail, I cant say enough thanks for that as he bailed me out of a real bind. It was in solid, good shape when it arrived so I gave it the cleaning treatment.

Here is post de-rusting and grime removal:

20180405_225400.jpg
20180405_225411.jpg

And with a couple coats of high-temp paint:

20180422_175405.jpg

Last edited:
I also used electrolysis to clean up a bunch of small parts, and then gave them a quick shot of paint. Ignore my cluttered work area :cautious:

20180422_175519.jpg

Finally got to the good part of the work: reinstalling!

I got the manifolds back on using a remflex gasket. The two end bolts were buggers, I had to have @PoloSlayer lay underneath the truck and lift slightly to get them to line up. I snugged them down to 25ft/lbs in 3 passes (15, 20, 25.)

I tried wrestling the EGR system into place, but couldn't get the pipe from the exhaust into the cooler to line up and thread. I think I'm going to have to take the whole system off the truck and assemble it and then install it intact.

I did install the exhaust block-off plate while I had the manifolds separated.

That remflex gasket is thick!

Last edited:
Made some progress after work today. I ended up having to drop the EGR cooler to assemble it as a unit and then reinstall, I couldn't get the exhaust-to-cooler pipe attached while it was all in the truck:

20180504_180205.jpg

Got a few more parts cleaned, painted, and ready for install:

20180506_193918.jpg

I gotta tell you: after years of scrubbing, scraping, grinding and sanding - electrolysis is so easy it's like cheating. My parts get so clean with so little work that I feel like I've traded my soul for a wonder solution.

It pulls pretty much everything off: rust, grime, old paint, whatever. It's cheap and easy to setup and idiot-proof to do. After the electrolysis I soak it for a bit in muriatic acid (that junk is no joke - gotta be careful with it) and a quick once-over with a small wire brush and presto! Clean parts ready for paint.

Wish I would have done it years ago....

any tips on making a electrolysis set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom