Builds Resurrecting a mothballed '86 FJ60 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

any tips on making a electrolysis set up?
I went small to start as a PoC - 5 gallon bucket, some rebar and an old router inverter.

It got real effective when I switched to a manual car battery charger (auto wont work) and i swapped the rebar out for some metal fencing, the next step up from chicken wire.

Lots of good videos on youtube re: how to do it. Just watch a couple and go for it. Very low cost of entrance, so very little risk.

I did find though that the hydrogen gas by-product will cause metal around the bucket to rust, so dont do it in your garage!

The other trick for me was to take it immediately from the bucket to wash it with muriatic acid. But that stuff is STRONG, dont breath the vapors, and use thick chemical resistant gloves. Then a quick rinse in water and dry by hand and paint it immediately.

Thanks for the tips!

I WAS doing it in the garage :frown:. LFMF. All the tools within ~10' radius have developed light surface rust. Also I have found in my research that what is off-gassing is hydrogen, i.e. highly flammable, so keep it away from any open flames.

Moving forward I am going to have to do it in the backyard, but lifted up so its out of the dog's reach. Positive ventilation would probably also solve the problem.

I WAS doing it in the garage :frown:. LFMF. All the tools within ~10' radius have developed light surface rust. Also I have found in my research that what is off-gassing is hydrogen, i.e. highly flammable, so keep it away from any open flames.

Moving forward I am going to have to do it in the backyard, but lifted up so its out of the dog's reach. Positive ventilation would probably also solve the problem.
Welp I’m out on that one. Too many roaming animals and my neighbor is constantly lighting fires and whatnot next door.

Welp I’m out on that one. Too many roaming animals and my neighbor is constantly lighting fires and whatnot next door.

The neighbor fires are not a big deal, it dissipates in open air w/o problem. But you wouldn't want to lean over the bucket while smoking.....There is a cool vid on youtube of some russian guys doing electrolysis, and every once in a while they put a lighter down on top of the bucket and it flashes up briefly. Keep in mind hydrogen=lighter than air, so it quickly rises up and floats away.

I wouldn't recommend covering the bucket, but if you set it up high it might be safe from the animals? I have a fenced yard, so just need to get it high enough to be out of the reach of the dog.

The neighbor fires are not a big deal, it dissipates in open air w/o problem. But you wouldn't want to lean over the bucket while smoking.....There is a cool vid on youtube of some russian guys doing electrolysis, and every once in a while they put a lighter down on top of the bucket and it flashes up briefly. Keep in mind hydrogen=lighter than air, so it quickly rises up and floats away.

I wouldn't recommend covering the bucket, but if you set it up high it might be safe from the animals? I have a fenced yard, so just need to get it high enough to be out of the reach of the dog.
Hmm, my yard is fenced too but kid, dogs, cat, poultry, they’re all awkward to keep an eye on all the time. I just gotta get my mud/parts cleaning sink made and then that will be close to the garage (I could close the door?) and up high. Good info tho, I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Got it almost completely reassembled this morning. Waiting for a few things to dry before I fire it up.

However, I found one thing on the carb that I am not sure is hooked up correctly. I could use the mud brain trust. Does this lever need to be attached to something?
20180512_111355.jpg

Not exactly. It pushes the linkage next to it or below. Want a photo of mine?

Funny I have a spare that I thought was complete but it’s missing that linkage.
The one on my truck is complete.

E808C6BC-E4DD-4F3C-AAD1-971CBFC1175A.jpeg

Also that gasket that sitting on the horn of the carb should be pushed up into the underside of the air cleaner. The carb should just have a simple paper type (gray stuff you can get an ace hardware) gasket in that place.

Tks so much @NeverGiveUpYota ! Looks like your spare doesn't have one attached at all?

I didn't even see the linkage on the bottom.

Re: the air cleaner gasket - the rubber part should go on the bottom of the air cleaner AND theres supposed to be something on the top of the carb?

Tks so much @NeverGiveUpYota ! Looks like your spare doesn't have one attached at all?

I didn't even see the linkage on the bottom.

Re: the air cleaner gasket - the rubber part should go on the bottom of the air cleaner AND theres supposed to be something on the top of the carb?
Yes rubber fits up into the underside of the air cleaner hole and a paper type gasket on top of the carb. It’s semi thin gray material you can buy in a roll at a hardware store and cut it out yourself.
And yeah as soon as I looked at my spare I remembered that some just ditch the choke opener altogether. I have yet to use the carb and plan to send it out for rebuild cuz I have zero ambition to do it myself. I actually have a third carb w/ that linkage and the opener intact so I can just swap it on if I want it.

Thanks to @NeverGiveUpYota I cut a rubberized paper gasket to go onto the carb and seated the rubber gasket on my air cleaner. That helped it assemble much better.

With full choke and 2-3 pumps of the pedal the truck fires up pretty quickly. I have it adjusted to 3* advanced, and when warm I am getting ~18" of vacuum.

I am getting a couple of issues though that I need help resolving:

1) when cold, it idles really low with full choke (around 600-800 rpm). As it warms up the idle comes up to ~1800 which is where I adjusted my "high idle" to. Then I can turn the choke off and it idles comfortably by itself. Cant figure out why it idles so incredibly low under full choke when I fire it up?

2) I only have ~18" of vacuum, which feels low to me at my elevation (1000 ft). I double-checked all my vacuum lines are routed correctly, and sprayed carb cleaner all OVER in the engine bay w/o being able to find any leaks. Can I lose vacuum any other way (e.g. carb needing a rebuild?)

3) I cant get my idle below 1000 RPM's, verified by an external tach. My dizzy set to 0*, and using lean drop to adjust my mix. Ive checked all my linkages and they're clear. What am I missing?

@Seth_O. Sounds good. Just 18 tho huh? Would seem you’d be getting higher or maybe I’m off. 20/21... sea level. Is it a steady 18. No flutter at all?

@Seth_O. Sounds good. Just 18 tho huh? Would seem you’d be getting higher or maybe I’m off. 20/21... sea level. Is it a steady 18. No flutter at all?
Minuscule amounts of flutter, like less than 1/4". Maybe valves, but I recently adjusted them and pretty sure I got it right.

Pretty much the only thing left is a carb rebuild. But not sure if that's the issue or not.

I would have thought closer to 20" as well.

I’m not feeling super confident to direct you but I’ll try.... fan clutch working? Engine “ought” to roar when you start herbup w/ full choke. Mine actually has been not so roar like too. Try the Newspaper trick on the fan blades.
Carb spray primarily at the manifold to block and where carb meets manifold.
Can’t get it below because it stalls out?

Minuscule amounts of flutter, like less than 1/4". Maybe valves, but I recently adjusted them and pretty sure I got it right.

Pretty much the only thing left is a carb rebuild. But not sure if that's the issue or not.

I would have thought closer to 20" as well.
Flutter can be valve seals. Ignore me, I think I was mixing up seals w/ rings.

784BD0F2-4998-423A-80A5-1AFEB6B85B55.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom