Rescuing a blue 60 /build/ chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm outside of Tuscaloosa.

Yoga thing is no joke! You have to go over backwards and then do a push up kind of for that maneuver. She's an athlete though.

Took today off from work so I could take her out for birthday lunch ....

And work on cruiser the other 7 hours.

WHOLE front end rebuild.
EVERY nut, bolt, washer, bearings, gaskets, oil, seals, 30 spline long field axles, chromo hub gears, ARP hub studs, stuck caliper fixed, new pads, new grease, new locktite, new locker, new FJ80 4.10 diff. Damnit man!

Hope to not have to crack her open for a long long time.

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

Was a big ole dummy and couldn't get it into 4low....

4hi? Yes
Low? Yes
Hubs locked? Yes
Locker locked? Yes
4low? No

?????.......

Apparently it has the 2Low mod....

The difference between 2L and 4L is about 1/4" I swear.
Was getting dark and had hungry kids with me. Boooooooo no off road testing!!! Boooooooo booooooo!!!

First trip out:
Smashed exhaust on steep climb and broke off antenna. Oops.

She's a beast though!!!

2WD low is an awesome gear, espiclaly with big meats and locked front. Get around easy between the hills.

Charged up A/C, got new headlights, new windshield wipers. Like a commuter car almost!! Ha!

Love this thing!

IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

ok, i'll be the one say it, that yoga thingie.... ooh the possibilties. but it'd probably maim if not kill this ole b@$turd!

Tag came in! I'm official!

Important part of owning a trail edition FJ60... Your other truck you daily drive!

I've been harassing this guy for years to sell me his 1 owner, 175k, 2.7l, 5 speed 4Runner. New clutch master cylinder, new slave cylinder, new headlights, original tape deck and wood grain. I love love love the 2.7l. It has more hp and the same towing capacity of the 60 while still weighing 1,500lbs? Less. Zippy little truck. My wife sure doesn't understand why I bought it.

I'm a descent Blackhawk pilot, but he's the real deal and has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. He is deploying soon and didn't want to leave it sitting for a year. These stickers have been on there since '97 when he was already an IP and I was in high school.

Threw the stock 60 wheels and tires on it, looks a lot better, maybe a tiny lift in the future.

I've never had a Toyota hitch before either.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, easy come, easy go they say.

Sold it to a nice guy with money in ATL. He's going to do a full restoration on it. Tried to talk him out of a LS swap, but who knows.

Kept the wheels and tires! Little grey paint to freshen them up.

They will be going on the Tundra I just bought:
3.4l V6
Manual
4x4
1 owner
160k miles
Always wanted one just like this. I'm dumm I guess??!!!

And I just bought a super charger for it!! Woot woot!!

Long term is to sas it with a 9.5"/FJ80 front custom housing. Will post up on Mud when all this goes down.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

Cool that you sold it, wish I could own a barn fill of cruisers I would have tried to get yours, you brought life back into that one.
That 3.4l and 5 speed combo are bitchen. I still miss ten years back when downshifting in my Tacoma and the instant power. It was easy to shift without the clutch with that combo the motor and trans seem to go together very well. I had a friend with a t100 with the motor as well I think he is past 300k and still trucking on it.

There's not another rig out there that says super badass lumberjack hippie hard as woodpecker lips BAMFer like a FJ60 driver. Nothing else.

It's the opposite of a old man camper shell white tundra actually! Ha!

When I can expand the fleet, I'll get another 60 for sure. The tundra will tow what I need to tow right now and still be a fun/different/die hard toyota rig. The LC wheels will help keep it classy.

enjoyed reading this thread...i live in tuscaloosa and have an '88 FJ62...

and as we say here, roll tide!

This was a fun truck.
It needed about $5-7k more in parts that I couldn’t afford at the time.

here’s my new FJ55 build. The first 8? Pages are all 55 nerd chit chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom