Rescuing a blue 60 /build/ chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Carb back on with new lines and filter. Fired right up on first hit!

Ran for 30 seconds on fuel in lines after filter.
But had a fuel line running into a gas can and it never pulled any more fuel in?? Filter still bone dry.

Kind of makes me think this stupid electric pump is a band aid for the mechanical one being bad. Ran out of time to really dig into it, but still a fun day.

I don't think the wheels look out of place at all.

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

Thanks to @89fjlandcruiser for the 4.10 diff all the way from Cali and thanks to @Rusty 72 for the locker! I am now much closer to being a true 4WD!

I used this write up to install the lunchbox locker. It took me longer than it should have, but it was my first c-clip axle and first auto locker. I also got to play with stuck drums and went ahead and greased some bearings and whatnot along the way.

FJ40 - EZ-Locker / Lock-Right install instruction

Eat a bag of dicks you stupid spider gears!!!

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

Would not pull fuel out of a gas can so I put on a new fuel pump, replaced some more lines, and she's rocking and rolling now! Going to take apart old pump to see if it's full of gunk or the diaphragm is bad or what.

It was a pain to get to pump from under the truck, would have been even worse with little tires on it. Another benefit of the big rubber.

Also going to bypass the added electric pump unless someone has a good reason not to. I think it was a bandaid when old mechanical pump died.

Want to drive it around the block with the fuel like this to test the 4.10s!

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

Keep the side/spider gears in the trail kit. BTDT with a '40.

I did not have good luck with 8" lock rites 12 years ago. Broke them on 33"s.
Really hoping these go better.

Have a FJ80 9.5", Aussie, and chromo shafts for the front. Don't want to have to take it apart anytime soon after it's built

I don't have a MyFace account so I post all my real time updates here...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R94Y0FG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seat covers installed. Can't justify $600-900 new seats when I've only put 40 miles on this truck. Covers are ok. Could use better tightening straps, can probably do that on my own. Put down a solid layer of gorilla duct tape on hole. Looks better and held up to 10 jump in and outs.

They do match the interior pretty well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There is a seat shop on 171 Cutoff Road. I used him for an 80 series seat, I didn't like that he only replaced part of the cushion. You could really feel the difference left and right and it made the seat very comfortable. The quality of the exterior work was really good, and I'm sure he would have replaced the entire seat if I had specified. I just didn't know at the time that I needed to be that specific. I think the whole thing cost less than $120

Last edited:
Picked up gas tank from shop. The acid/chemical bath thing they had was 8'x8'x3' tall. Could defiantly get rid of some dead bodies in it.

Got my three sons and the oldest's lady friend loaded up to take maiden voyage with me.

Runs like a damn champion! Pulls better on 35"s and 4.10 than it did on 31"s and 3.73 because it is actual running so well and so clean.

Speedo reads about 5mph slow. Was cruising at 65mph fine, didn't have a whole lot more. Peppy enough to get out in traffic fine though.

Stopped twice and both times somebody offered to buy it! Haha

IMG_0837.JPG

Last edited:
Right on ! Congrats on getting her running. Your smile is enfectious to the rest of your family.
They are just as excited as you!
Good job and keep it up!

Thanks man

We did have a blast. I'm so happy with how it's running. I don't think the second barrel on carb was even opening up before it was so dirty. Pulls really well now. Has a little tiny growl with the Flowmaster.

The lady friend got to crank it for the time after the overhaul and he's going to learn to drive a manual in this truck! Pretty cool I think.

I want to drive it 112 miles to Montgomery tomorrow, but don't think we're quiteeee there yet.

Sweet truck man! Working on cruisers is fun driving them is addicting. :steer:

I love how my truck drives top with the 4.10& 35s looks like a tight fit but hey as long as it fits that’s all that matters right! Looking forward to more updates

Yeah it be wise to just drive it around town close to home so you can iron out the kinks.
Better to be closer to home if something fails.
It happened to me while driving mine around for the first time in 5 years.
Have fun with it.

Put about 80 miles on her today. Got tag, ran errands, broke down. Cruised well at 70mph down the interstate with no issues. Really fun truck.

Some gunk in the hard lines apparently. What a pain. Glad it's out.

Very please with how well it runs besides the piece of mop somemone left in the fuel lines.

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom