Replacing inner axle seal without a seal driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've gotta tear back into my front end here in the next few days. You guys have any trick for driving in the axle seal without me having or wanting to but a seal driving kit? Thanks!

Tap it with a hammer...:meh:

I made one when I was in the middle of the job....

oilsealtool.jpg

I guess an appropriate sized socket would work too. Cheap seal driving kit won't break the bank... Got a harbor freight nearby?

cheers,
george.

image.jpg
I'm a subscriber to the "PVC SST" school of thought. For the inner axle oil seal, I use the female end of a 1.25" SCH 40 expansion fitting, but I'm sure there are others that would work. Cheap and readily available.

View attachment 1504412 I'm a subscriber to the "PVC SST" school of thought. For the inner axle oil seal, I use the female end of a 1.25" SCH 40 expansion fitting, but I'm sure there are others that would work. Cheap and readily available.

I like this idea. Good job.

I've used a block of wood that I whittled down. Worked fine until I got my hands on an actual seal tool.

I used to use a 3/4" bolt that was about 8" long. Got some large fender washers which were slightly smaller than the OD of the seal, and then used a nut on each side of the washer(s) to hold in place. Worked well! Or just buy a cheap seal driver kit from HF! I've used them a lot through the years.

I used an old baseball bat :hillbilly:

X2 or X3 on the Harbor freight bearing/seal driver kit. Money well spent. It's cheap too.

Thanks guys, the reason I didn't just run to harbor freight and buy one is because I HATE buying cheap tools. I was able to piece one together using some stuff in my garage and a little redneck ingenuity. Thanks for all of the input!

Large socket and extension. Insert extension into the inside of the socket and use the flat on the back side of the socket to drive the seal

Put it in the freezer overnite and you can stat it with your fingers and just tap it in.:meh:

That's what I did. I used a brass drift to tap it in, just making sure I popped it around in circles so it didn't get cockeyed.

Thanks guys, the reason I didn't just run to harbor freight and buy one is because I HATE buying cheap tools. I was able to piece one together using some stuff in my garage and a little redneck ingenuity. Thanks for all of the input!

So, basically, you managed to make your own CHEAP TOOL?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom