Replacing Clock Spring in Steering Column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read all the threads regarding the squeeky steering wheel and after spraying all types of lubricants down my steering column I read that on my 1995 truck the part is not lubricated.

Has anyone actually changed out the clock spring? Can you share your experience? What did you do to keep from getting decapitated by an exploding air bag?

The squeek in my steering wheel is bad enough that I will either dive into it or will pay someone to do it.

Someone told me a body shop could disable the airbag for you.

Following up on this since the weather is getting colder and guess what has reared its ugly head again.......that's right, that nails on the chalk board (well maybe I am exaggerating) squeek from my steering column.

Can anyone share their experiences with resolving this noise?

What did you do to keep from getting decapitated by an exploding air bag?

Ala AllData:

CAUTION:

Work must be started 90 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "LOCK" position and the negative (-) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery. (The SRS is equipped with a back-up power source so that if work is started within 90 seconds of disconnecting the negative (-) terminal cable of the battery, the SRS may be deployed.)
When the negative (-) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery, the memory of the clock and audio system will be canceled. So before starting work, make a record of the contents memorized in the audio memory system. When work is finished, reset the audio systems as before and adjust the clock. To avoid erasing the memory of each memory system, never use a backup power supply from outside the vehicle.
Before repairs, remove the airbag sensor if shocks are likely to be applied to the sensor during repairs.
Do not expose the steering wheel pad, front passenger airbag assembly, airbag sensor assembly or front airbag sensor directly to hot air or flames.
AIR BAG SYSTEM DISARMING
The Air Bag/Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) incorporates a backup energy source that maintains sufficient deployment voltage for up to 90 seconds after the ignition is turned Off and the battery has been disconnected.
Before disconnecting battery, note radio station settings, since all vehicle memory will be lost. Never use a backup power source from outside the vehicle.

Turn ignition to Lock, then disconnect battery ground cable.
Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnection before beginning service or diagnostic procedures.
AIR BAG SYSTEM ARMING

Ensure ignition is in Lock position.
Connect battery ground cable.
Wait at least 10 seconds before turning ignition from Lock position.
Turn ignition to ACC or On position and ensure SRS lamp lights, then goes off after approximately 6 seconds . If lamp remains lit, an SRS condition is indicated. Refer to Diagnosis and Testing.

I usually wait at least 10 minutes longer than whatever the proper procedure calls for, just to be on the safe side :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom