1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacing brake pads

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by residualboulders, Jan 17, 2004.

1. residualboulders

residualboulders

Media:
    Albums:
    any estimations on how long it would take? I haven't replaced pads before. Helped replace them on my first 40, but it was on a '76 and the brakes are different on a '71 right? Any special tools/tips? Figured I oughta ask since a friend of mine is counting on some help.

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    If you mean taking the shoes off and putting ones with new pads on, rather than taking off the shoes and reshoing them, then doing the rest, well, I just did that job. It took about 1 hour per wheel. Most of the time by far was spent readjusting the brake cylinders. It got faster as I got better at it. You might want the special brake cylinder adjuster that SOR sells, the angulation makes the job a little easier. But you can do it with a screwdriver. Have something available to clean up the brake dust, too.

3. residualboulders

residualboulders

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks IDave. Seems like you;re always the one answering my questions. I must be having all the same issues you have had in the past. Actually this one is for a guy that works for me. Just bought a 71, but can't get it registered until the brakes are done. Thanks for the advice. We should be doing it here soon.

P.S. I took your recommendation on the CCOT quarter panels a few months back. Ended up getting the galvanealed steel, turned out really nice, good fit, sturdy metal. thanks.

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad to hear it!

5. Brog

Brog

Seconds on the SST (Special Service Tool) It took me two months to figure-out what that meant.

It's $5-6 and worth $50-60.
    To those of us with all drums at least.
    Brog