replacing brake pads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
any estimations on how long it would take? I haven't replaced pads before. Helped replace them on my first 40, but it was on a '76 and the brakes are different on a '71 right? Any special tools/tips? Figured I oughta ask since a friend of mine is counting on some help.

If you mean taking the shoes off and putting ones with new pads on, rather than taking off the shoes and reshoing them, then doing the rest, well, I just did that job. It took about 1 hour per wheel. Most of the time by far was spent readjusting the brake cylinders. It got faster as I got better at it. You might want the special brake cylinder adjuster that SOR sells, the angulation makes the job a little easier. But you can do it with a screwdriver. Have something available to clean up the brake dust, too.

thanks IDave. Seems like you;re always the one answering my questions. I must be having all the same issues you have had in the past. Actually this one is for a guy that works for me. Just bought a 71, but can't get it registered until the brakes are done. Thanks for the advice. We should be doing it here soon.

P.S. I took your recommendation on the CCOT quarter panels a few months back. Ended up getting the galvanealed steel, turned out really nice, good fit, sturdy metal. thanks.

Glad to hear it!

Seconds on the SST (Special Service Tool) It took me two months to figure-out what that meant.

It's $5-6 and worth $50-60.
To those of us with all drums at least.
Brog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom