Replacing 5th gear in a FZJ80 H151f? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a GCC spec 1FZ-F 80 with a H151f and K194 lockers (in case any of these details are relevant to the question, hehe). I have to replace the clutch release bearing since I have developed crickets in the transmission, and I am wondering whether this is the time to upgrade the 5th gear - or not. I do not tow, and could use less noise / lower rpm on the highway (God knows this thing drinks oodles of fuel), but is it as simple as "while I'm in there", or will this need another week's worth of work? Labour is not cheap here so if it's not a "by the way" job then I will reconsider.

Also, I seem to have come across one site that suggested just buying part # 33036-60010 (Gear sub-assy, 5th) would be enough, and others that suggest whole kits for this. What would I actually need?

Thanks for any advice!

Short answer - no unfortunately. You’ll have to replace way more parts than just 5th. Unfortunately the transmission that had the better 5th gear (H152F) also has different gear ratios in 1st and 2nd, so you’d need to replace 5th, counter shaft, 1st gear, 2nd gear, and also the associated shift sleeves ect… it’s a very big job.

Short answer - no unfortunately. You’ll have to replace way more parts than just 5th. Unfortunately the transmission that had the better 5th gear (H152F) also has different gear ratios in 1st and 2nd, so you’d need to replace 5th, counter shaft, 1st gear, 2nd gear, and also the associated shift sleeves ect… it’s a very big job.
Rats, I see. Well, abandon that idea I guess - but thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom