Replaced Starter Contacts. Still Intermittant Starting!!! Sleuth needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I had it narrowed down to the starter contacts. This morning I replaced the starter contacts and plunger. The starter contacts did not look to worn, but I replaced them anyhow. It took me about 2.5 hours. After buttoning her up, she started up with no problem. Yipeeee!!! Not.

I drove around town running errands. Stopping and starting a few times thoughout my trip. On my last stop, I got in and No Go! She wouldn't start up at all. Turned the key and nothing. After about fifteen minutes she started right up. Same symptom(s) that led me to believe the starter contact were bad.
At times I would have to hold the key to ON for a few seconds before the starter cranked. Could there possible a relay sticking somewhere?

The battery is a year old and I've cleaned the terminals at the battery, and checked the fusible links.

Bad solenoid. You need a new starter.

Does it click when you turn the key? You would also want to clean the lug on the cable coming down from the batter and the one on the starter going from the solenoid to the motor.

If it is the solenoid I have a brand new one as I was trouble shooting the same issue. Would be cheap.

Wrench, How can I you/I be sure its the solenoid? I'm assuming its in the starter? Oh brother...:confused: I'd like to be reasonably confident its the solenoid before diving in again.

Landtank, I don't remember a clicking, but I'll remember to listen for it when it decides not to start again. Just got back from the store and she started up fine.
I cleaned the contacts at the starter before reintalling, and I keep the contacts clean at the battery terminal. What are you thinking assuming there's no click?

Check the fusable links and also for corrosion between the ring terminals on the battery. We have seen them with enough corrosion between the terminals to prevent contact. Could be the same symptoms.

This may be a perfect time to ask my question along the same lines as this thread. I have contacts and all the parts sitting getting ready to go in when i get a little time. What my truck does, is about 25% of the time, when i turn the key there is about a 5 second pause where nothing happens, then all of a sudden bingo, she starts up. Would that be contacts or solenoid? Hard to say without replacing contacts?

There is no click, or anything.

I would just throw out the warning to do it soon if anyone has a starting problem.

My wife had a couple of issues she didn't tell me about, and I went to drive the 80 one Saturday night and the starter stayed engaged for 15 minutes!

I finally got it shut off (the motor will keep the motor turning with the key off), replaced the contacts, lucky it didn't fry something or catch fire....2 times and then full lock on.

I replaced the contacts, but it seems to spin slower than it did before. I think the battery is good, but I don't know...I may have burned up something, I'm not sure.

I just experienced the same thing as Cruisin Carolina on Friday night. Luckily I was able to get a hold of Oleg at Irbis and he told me how to get it turned off. The unfortunate thing is I have to drive all of over the city to get the parts so now I either have to wait a few days for parts, or find time tomorrow to drive all over the metro area. I knew I should have done this a while back.

This may be a perfect time to ask my question along the same lines as this thread. I have contacts and all the parts sitting getting ready to go in when i get a little time. What my truck does, is about 25% of the time, when i turn the key there is about a 5 second pause where nothing happens, then all of a sudden bingo, she starts up. Would that be contacts or solenoid? Hard to say without replacing contacts?

There is no click, or anything.

Same thing happens to me. Turn the key and after a 3-5 second pause she starts up. Sometimes she doesn't start up at all, and I'll have to wait a few minutes and try again. BUT at times she'll start up right away. No pause, no delay. I'll have to listen for the click, but I do not recall hearing a click when I turn the key during non-start moments.

After cleaning all the contacts at the battery and starter. At this point, I'll have to believe its the solenoid causing the start woes. The no click when the key is turned and the long pauses at times is too much evidence not to believe its the solenoid. Yup, no reason to believe its not...yet.

Wrench, How can I you/I be sure its the solenoid? I'm assuming its in the starter? Oh brother...:confused: I'd like to be reasonably confident its the solenoid before diving in again.

Because I had the same problem. Replaced contacts and no go. Replaced the starter and all is well.

Here is the solenoid I have. It was mounted an ran a few times then removed because it wasn't the problem. Anyone can have it for 75% of CDan's price which would include shipping.

I'll pack it with me on this weeks travels in case someone does want it in a hurry.
Starter solenoid.jpg

I have a used starter I ordered from cruiserparts.net. I'll transfer the solenoid from that over to the one currently being used. Hopefully that'll kill the problem.

I just experienced the same thing as Cruisin Carolina on Friday night. Luckily I was able to get a hold of Oleg at Irbis and he told me how to get it turned off. The unfortunate thing is I have to drive all of over the city to get the parts so now I either have to wait a few days for parts, or find time tomorrow to drive all over the metro area. I knew I should have done this a while back.

Hey, I've got all the parts to do this in my toolbox in the 80, haven't had any symptoms, just keeping them around for when I do (or someone else on a run or at an event etc.). They'll be at 120th & I-25 tomorrow during the day while I'm at work.. I'd be willing to loan them to you if you're in a pinch. then you can have CDan ship me the replacements, I'm sure he'll find room in the box he's shipping me on Tuesday. :grinpimp: lmk..

When I put new starter contacts in, there was still a intermittent start issue.

I pulled the starter out and checked the contacts, one was not square with the plunger.
I must have twisted the new contact when I tightened the outer nut causing a high point on the contact.
Sanded it down a bit and reinstalled making sure everything was square.
Problem fixed

anyway something to check...

Lets not forget about the other half of the circuit gentelmen
.........a bad ground can cause intermitent and often mysterious issues. Your engine is mounted on rubber ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom