Replace worn out wiper arms with 4Runner arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the idea of new arms and I'm sure they work much better. However....

The weak link in our wiper system is the rods off the motor. They use plastic cups. At the age of our trucks too much friction my cause these to fail. I have spent literally hours working on my wipers. These cups are not available from what I could find. I had to get junker ones.

You don't want too much strain on these rods. You may even find with old wiper motors they won't move quick enough back and forth due to the extra tension on the glass.

Hola. Sorry to resurrect a slightly old post, but my wipers won't work unless the glass is wet. And even then, they're slow as molasses. Any advice on whether I should rebuild the motors or replace them would be appreciated. Search is pulling up fairly useless threads so far.

Thanks!

I'd start with pulling the motor and cleaning it up as well as cleaning and lubing the arms (under the hood cowl)

I did the wiper conversion, but the arms did not come with the cap to cover the bolt - does anyone know the part number?

Thanks, didn't realize what that was, thought it was the arm.

Just ordered.

85221-35080 (2) - Wiper Arm (LH) (The LH wiper arms are preferred to be used for both sides)
85192-12800 (2) - Wiper Arm covers
90179-08113 (2) - Wiper Arm nuts
85222-35091 (2) - Wiper Blades

Just ordered.

85221-35080 (2) - Wiper Arm (LH) (The LH wiper arms are preferred to be used for both sides)
85192-12800 (2) - Wiper Arm covers
90179-08113 (2) - Wiper Arm nuts
85222-35091 (2) - Wiper Blades

You’ll love it. I did this mod a couple months ago and was an instantaneous hit. I just bought the whole setup from city racer. They have pieced it all together and I thought the price was about the same as if I got each part myself

You’ll love it. I did this mod a couple months ago and was an instantaneous hit. I just bought the whole setup from city racer. They have pieced it all together and I thought the price was about the same as if I got each part myself

I got it all for about $139 shipped. OEMGENUINEPARTS.com, "cruiser1" code for 5% off.

So I ordered up all the parts and I have a question about the arms. The 4Runner arms I have are smooth at the mounting point and the post to mount it to has indexing marks like was on the old arm. Do I just bolt it on and it will work? Did I somehow get the wrong arms? It's a 1984 FJ 60 if that matters, thanks for any help.

LtAfa38bTeK8fiCzAZkCfg.jpg

MxR2DUS2QxqGrqVaOtfmsA.jpg

Gu1P6%4kQhqVLyodKkqKtA.jpg

THanks! The passenger side went great, then came the drivers side. When they painted the 60 the didn't replace the wiper bolt with the factory one and it was jammed up. I got it off with a small impact wrench, stud looked fine so I mounted the new wiper. It tightened down fine but when I turned on the wipers the driver side doesn't move. I've lost the light so I'll dig back into it tomorrow.

So I got a second a double checked the linkages which are fine and working so I pulled the wiper arm back off. The post looked fine and the wiper arm was so I out it all back together and very carefully tightened it back down. I have no idea what I did differently this time but it works fine. I hate to be this guy but it is the best thing you can do to you rig. I have been dealing with wipers that barely touched the windshield and the ever present smear right in my eye line.

THanks! The passenger side went great, then came the drivers side. When they painted the 60 the didn't replace the wiper bolt with the factory one and it was jammed up. I got it off with a small impact wrench, stud looked fine so I mounted the new wiper. It tightened down fine but when I turned on the wipers the driver side doesn't move. I've lost the light so I'll dig back into it tomorrow.
Might have just not been down enough is my guess.

Cityracer is a pretty cool site. Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware they existed.

A note on the 2nd gen 4runner wiper arms. The early models have the two screws on the end of the wiper hook like ours do. The later models have a better end hook with no hardware to get rusty.

Great fix. At this stage I just attached 18” rained blades to OEM arms by sliding the arm into the rainx supplied second adaptor and used one of the OEM 2 screws to lock into place. $20 pair of blades. Works great but I like the fix above as the arms are rusty and bolt covers are missing. Will try it and send picks before and after.

@BlackCat
Do the covers shown in the amazon picture fot over the 4runner blades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom