Removing the headliner to fix a rattle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
... isn't going to happen.

I did a little digging on what's involved in removing the headliner. All I really had to do was look at it. Unbelievable. Removing three windows to drop the headliner. That's not going to happen.

Now that the FatMat and new carpet have the Pickup all nice and quiet, I'm hearing the little rattles that were previously drowned out by the louder road noise. I fixed all but one. Overall, I'm kinda blown away at how solid and quiet this little truck is. But...

There's an obnoxious buzzing rattle directly over and a little behind my head... inside the headliner. Driving around yesterday, I was able to pinpoint it. If I hold one finger on the spot, it goes from "BZZZZZZZZ" to nothing. Usually, finding the rattle is the hard part and fixing it is easy. Not this time.

Again, I really (!) don't want to pull the headliner. I need ideas. Here's the best I've come up with so far:
Three things:
- 18Ga hypodermic needle (research says this is the right gauge)
- Clear model/plastic glue
- Luck
Using the seam and/or the perforations, push the needle through the headliner 'til it hits the roof, inject the glue - sort of spreading around without stretching the hole, press the headliner and/or whatever (bed light wires?) that's buzzing. Repeat a few times in that area.

This is either brilliant or one of those "You're not gonna believe what the previous owner did..." ideas. I mean, it's better than using GreatStuff ;)

Last edited:
Pulling the windows is only the beginning. It's glued to the body pretty much all the way around. Pull the welting off the door frame and you'll see what i mean. It is extremely unlikely it will survive being removed intact. I can pretty much guarantee it will tear in multiple places. Avoid removing unless you want to spend $$$ at an interior shop having it replaced.

Great stuff spray foam.

Thanks @KLF - more confirmation that the headliner is staying in place. Makes ya wonder - all the amazing engineering that went into these trucks, what the #$&@ where they thinking with the headliner?!

My hypodermic needles arrived. Now, I just have to pick a good glue and start poking around!

Thanks @KLF - more confirmation that the headliner is staying in place. Makes ya wonder - all the amazing engineering that went into these trucks, what the #$&@ where they thinking with the headliner?!

The way they did the headliner was very common in that era. If the truck was relatively new, you could probably pull it down no problem. But, after 35+ years, that adhesive is very hardened, and the plastic headliner material is very brittle and fragile.

There are metal ribs sewn into the headliner that hold the arch shape. Probably one of those ribs is rubbing on the sheet metal.

The glue is bad enough. It’s really the window removal that I’ve not seen before.

Don't break one of those Xtra cab windows, or tear the gasket. Unobtainable. Best to wait for a nice warm day, lube with soap, use the rope trick.

Best to wait...

Oh, I'm definitely going to wait... until I've exhausted every other workaround, trick, etc. I really am going to try the hypodermic glue thing. May also speed up the stereo installation project ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom