Removing a Double Cardan DS Center Ball (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hugh Heifer

Less than 90 days!
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
Can anyone explain the process for removing the centering ball in the CV end of a double cardan drive shaft as shown below?

Centering Repair.jpg

The parts are cheap and readily available.

THIS and THIS explain the rebuild process but not how to get the ball out.

:wrench:
Centering Repair.jpg

Pull the seal Hugh. :)

Then, work on the bearing.

Wish you were here!

:beer:

Pull the seal Hugh. :)

Then, work on the bearing.

Wish you were here!

:beer:
After today's rather unproductive activity, I wish I was there too!

Seal is out. It was pretty much nonexistent. What was left popped right out.
I can't figure out how to grasp the ball assembly some where with enough force to pull the pressed in ball and race out :doh:

pick the needles out if you have to

pick the needles out if you have to
That is why it is coming out. A couple of the needles are damaged or missing.

I though about it some and have another idea. There is a hole in the bottom. I think I could put a couple nuts and washer inside the ball, flip it over, put a long 1/4 bolt in the back side through a socket and tighten it down, successfully pulling it out. If that makes sense :meh:

I will try both.

then you should have a 'lip' enabling the internal jaws of the slide hammer to grip for removal.

This just in.
Neither thing worked. I tried my idea and as I turned the bolt and pulled from the back of the ball, the entire back of the ball broke out. I had already removed the needles and when I tried the slide hammer it pulled the small seal on the inside of the ball out. (I did not realized there was a second seal. There is no lip in there. It is smooth smooth smooth.

I ended up taking a grinder and cutting the ball in half and pulling it out and then cutting the brass race with a dremel. It cracked easily then and I was able to pry it out.

So, I do not know what others do or if there is a right way or a special tool. That is what I did and I did it without damaging the DS.

Thanks for the input. :cheers:

Last edited:
I once had a girlfriend that could....well.....(censored) it out.

Guess thats why I married her :) HeHeHeHe

best of luck removing that bugga!

You'll need a vise

1.) Clean all the needles and crap out of the ball.
2.) Flip the ball over, there may be a pressed in cap, if there is, tap it down into the ball. Hopefully the hole in the bottom is slightly smaller.
3.) Find a bolt that is the same size as the hole in the bottom of the ball, you want it to slide in freely but with as little room to spare as possible, with several inches still showing when it is all the way down in the ball
4.) Wet some paper towel and cram it in the ball. Use the bolt and a hammer to compress it further. Don't get too exited with the hammer.
5.) Repeat step 4 until the ball comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom