Remove both front radius arms at the same time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to replace the bushings in the front radius arms. Since I don't yet have a press at home, I'm wondering if I can safely remove both the arms at the same time to take them somewhere. The wheels would stay on the ground and chocked, and the frame could be supported. Any tips, tricks, or warnings about this? Thanks

IMO the issue will be getting them back in. They will not go easily into the slots.
Can be done with good ratchet straps, strong back, clever leverage.
After much mental swordplay with the idea, I ended up taking it somewhere to have it done. (~275 2020 $)
Just didn't want to fight with it. The rear LCA's r&r matched all the fight I had. lol

I pull the rear axle out, completely disassembled it and reinstalled it by myself without any problems. Same with the front axle.

40470671-F22C-4E1F-94FA-D5724F2E473A.png

60E156FE-09DD-4753-ADB4-C705F97B6AC9.png

I want to replace the bushings in the front radius arms. Since I don't yet have a press at home, I'm wondering if I can safely remove both the arms at the same time to take them somewhere. The wheels would stay on the ground and chocked, and the frame could be supported. Any tips, tricks, or warnings about this? Thanks
I took both mine off and put in the rubber caster correction bushings. Ratchet straps got them back on without too much trouble, by myself.

Also, if you keep the tires on. You can use wheel chocks on both tires front and back to help keep them in place and use a floor Jack to under the pinion to rotate the pinion to line up the bolts at the frame. The pan hard bar will help keep the left to right alignment. If I remember correctly.

You can do it, make sure your parked in front of a tree or something else you can use to pull the axle forward with a ratchet strap if you need to go forward.

Also you can use one of these spud wrenches, a big punch, or some other piece of pointy steel to line up holes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-15-5-in-Steel-Adjustable-Wrench-Individual/50029432

Stick the tool through the axle holes and the bushings and pry with it to align the other axle hole.

Last edited:

if you haven't done this already, just bring your 80 over to my house :). Which bushings are you going with?

Got them painted and installed. I had to use a ratchet strap to pull the axle, I was surprised how much it moved even though I supported the frame. Next time I'll put the ratchet strap on the axle before I remove both arms. The FSM says to replace the bolts/hardware, so I will, though not sure why?
20211228_110850.jpg

20211229_134747.jpg

20211229_144936.jpg

Last edited:
. The FSM says to replace the bolts/hardware, so I will, though not sure why?
probably because those bolts are under a great load. Once you put them back in and then try to torque it, the chances to snap increase. Better to go new than old. If you try to cheap out and it snaps, your in for a long day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom