Remote starter for 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tampacruiser95

Upgrades are coming.
Threads
I searched and see lots of people referencing issues they think may be caused by a remote starter, but nothing definite.

Does anyone have one and like it? Any brand you recommend/don't recommend? Anyone have one and hate it?

Mine had an Avitol alarm remote start from the PO. It works well, but I keep waiting for it to malfunction and strand me. I'll probably have it removed before I hit the trails when the snow melts. If the snow ever melts.

I have the viper unit on mine. I truly do love the system especially when its cold out. It also works from up to a mile away so for instance when checking out of a store when I know my hands are gonna be full, I can unlock it from inside the store so I don't have to set all my crap down to find the key. However one complaint I do have is you need the fob to unlock the car when its armed. I put a emergency key on my car but it's pretty useless unless I left the car unlocked. There is a switch they have installed to disarm it but it a pain.

I really want remote start and push button start. I get in and out of my truck about 30 times per day. It sure would be handy...

I installed a Clifford 590.2x when I got my cruiser a few years ago, works great, no issues so far except for sometimes my remote says I'm out of range when I'm right freakin next to the cruiser, other times it starts from over a half mile away easy. I like it because it tells me when people are screwing with my cruiser too, I came running out in my underwear a couple months back because someone was screwing with the hood switch trying to get the hood open (probably to cut power to the alarm) alarm only chirped for them, and my remote lit off with its siren and zone alert. Ran out in pouring rain in my underwear with a hand full of pistol and I have to say, as fast as he took off, he could have made it to the Olympic track trials. Don't know what scared him more, a big pasty white dude chasing him in his skivvies or the handgun... I guess we will never know lol

@Rea1994 has the viper unit through his phone and I gotta say it's pretty cool.

I love my viper system! I haven't had it malfunction once since I've had it (about a year). The remote start from the key fob is really nice, I use it all the time. I can see my car from my office, and on the days that are hot I just turn on the car, and by the time I get there it is nice and cool. The phone addon is really nice also. They redid the app not too long ago so the interface is nice and up to date. I've never had an issue with that either. It shows me where the car is at all times. Will alert me if the alarm goes off through text, email and push notification (all changeable). Also, the app is compatible with the Apple Watch. So points for James Bond feelings when unlocking or starting the car. The only really crappy part is that I think it was like $300 for 3 years, but it also comes with road side assistance which is cool if I didn't have AAA. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking into getting one. Also, the viper systems have a blue light that flashes when it's armed. My neighbor just had their FJZ80 stolen last week. I like to think the light helped the thieves move on to the next Land Cruiser.

I followed @firetruck41's write-up some 3 years ago. Still works fine. Almost no connections to factory wiring when you use the plugs from the dealer installed Toyota RS3000.

I wish I had done a few things different like running the boxes under the seat or to the passenger side panel.

I do have an intermittent key start problem, but remote start works. I diagnosed down to a faulty ignition switch. I have a new ignition switch to install, just waiting for my LEDs, Bryke steering shaft bearing, and a couple other things before I open up the dash again. Maybe I will relocate those boxes also. Too much while you're in there...

HOW TO: Detailed DIY for Remote Start/Alarm/Keyless Entry

I would love the ability of remote start especially given the heat in southern California (and I guess the same if not worse when I move to florida). Problem i have always struggled with is that my '94 came with a Rostra alarm and keyless entry system fitted. I have no wiring schematics so I am frighten to tamper with it in case I leave myself locked out or with an immobilized engine.

I would love the ability of remote start especially given the heat in southern California (and I guess the same if not worse when I move to florida). Problem i have always struggled with is that my '94 came with a Rostra alarm and keyless entry system fitted. I have no wiring schematics so I am frighten to tamper with it in case I leave myself locked out or with an immobilized engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom