Remanufactured Calipers? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace my calipers. Anyone care to share their experiences with either remanufactured or aftermarket calipers?

REMANUFACTURED
Autozone has “Duralast”
Oreilly has “Brakebest”
Summit has “ACDelco, Cardone & Raybestos”

NEW
Centric Posi Quiet
Raybestos Element3
Powerstop

StopTech is too spendy for me!

As far as flushing/bleeding the system after installing the new calipers, I’ve read conflicting things about how challenging/technical this is...

If there is a gx470 specific write up on how to flush/bleed the system out there, please point me to it.

Thanks!

I use Callahan the last 18 months. Callahan is the same as Powerstop but silver zinc coated instead red powder coated.

The zinc coating still looks the same as the day I install it. Caliper are simple and build with soo much safety factor that I am not worried I am running non OEM parts.

I did 460 upgrade at same time. With the combination of good rotor and pads it really improve my braking performance.

I did NAPA's top of the line, all 4 corners with their coated rotors and brake pads, new fluid and braided lines. Over a year on them now, no complaints, can put me through the windshield. Make sure to properly bleed everything, the system is split front and rear.

Looking to replace my calipers. Anyone care to share their experiences with either remanufactured or aftermarket calipers?

REMANUFACTURED
Autozone has “Duralast”
Oreilly has “Brakebest”
Summit has “ACDelco, Cardone & Raybestos”

NEW
Centric Posi Quiet
Raybestos Element3
Powerstop

StopTech is too spendy for me!

As far as flushing/bleeding the system after installing the new calipers, I’ve read conflicting things about how challenging/technical this is...

If there is a gx470 specific write up on how to flush/bleed the system out there, please point me to it.

Thanks!
Installing Powerstop calipers on the front this weekend.
I have been happy with the Powerstop rear rotors and pads so far, just make sure you BED THEM IN as directed. I've seen some pretty ugly rotors from guys who just didn't bed them in properly...

I have PowerStop GX470 front rotors & pads. They stop well, but after a 9,000 miles I 'm getting pulsing again. So, I've decided to try the GX460 front caliper/rotor upgrade.

I went with the silver Callahan calipers (rebuilds) - Amazon $110 for the pair, and no core-return requirement. Called Callahan with a couple questions prior to ordering...they are getting the red calipers in stock 10/29. Didn't want to wait that long, so I ordered the silver. Amazon product ASIN B07DKKDNRR
Then I ordered Raybestos R-300 High Performance Rotors (980784PER). Amazon wanted $100 each (1 in stock). RockAuto ($68.79) & CarID.com ($77.24) both had availability, and better pricing than Amazon. I ended up ordering from CarID.com. Two rotors with s&h $163. Final price was less than RockAuto, and CarID price matches. Raybestos® - Specialty™ Street Performance Slotted 1-Piece Brake Rotor

I also ordered:

Braided Brake Lines (Centric 950.44007) Amazon product ASIN B004HEFCSU
Speed Bleeder Valves (Dorman 12708 M7-1.0x32mm) https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-12708...ds=dorman+speed+bleeder&qid=1602609731&sr=8-3.

I'll send pics of parts & installation when I have received everything and have them installed.

ALSO...OME LIFT on order from Rocky Road Outfitters. No idea when that will be available! :meh:

I have PowerStop GX470 front rotors & pads. They stop well, but after a 9,000 miles I 'm getting pulsing again. So, I've decided to try the GX460 front caliper/rotor upgrade.

I went with the silver Callahan calipers (rebuilds) - Amazon $110 for the pair, and no core-return requirement. Called Callahan with a couple questions prior to ordering...they are getting the red calipers in stock 10/29. Didn't want to wait that long, so I ordered the silver. Amazon product ASIN B07DKKDNRR
Then I ordered Raybestos R-300 High Performance Rotors (980784PER). Amazon wanted $100 each (1 in stock). RockAuto ($68.79) & CarID.com ($77.24) both had availability, and better pricing than Amazon. I ended up ordering from CarID.com. Two rotors with s&h $163. Final price was less than RockAuto, and CarID price matches. Raybestos® - Specialty™ Street Performance Slotted 1-Piece Brake Rotor

I also ordered:

Speed Bleeder Valves (Dorman 12708 M7-1.0x32mm) https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-12708...ds=dorman+speed+bleeder&qid=1602609731&sr=8-3.

I'll send pics of parts & installation when I have received everything and have them installed.

ALSO...OME LIFT on order from Rocky Road Outfitters. No idea when that will be available! :meh:
OUTSTANDING!! GREAT call on the braided brake lines...I would also recommend that, and I'm also putting that on my to-do list!

I also ordered:

So I went with the gray coated Callahan calipers for the rear. And the red coated power stop calipers for the front.

I also got the Stoptech (Centric) stainless lines for the front.

Question: what are the rubber plugs that come with the new stainless lines for? I assume that they are involved in the installation process. I’m guessing you plug the end that attaches to the caliper BEFORE you attach the hose to the inboard brake line? Thus keeping fluid from going everywhere as you get the caliper end ready?

So I went with the gray coated Callahan calipers for the rear. And the red coated power stop calipers for the front.

I also got the Stoptech (Centric) stainless lines for the front.

Question: what are the rubber plugs that come with the new stainless lines for? I assume that they are involved in the installation process. I’m guessing you plug the end that attaches to the caliper BEFORE you attach the hose to the inboard brake line? Thus keeping fluid from going everywhere as you get the caliper end ready?
those are replacement plugs. you remove your old plugs and replace with the new ones. Or, if your old ones are fine, just leave them installed.

1602626621124.png

IDK. I was assuming they were to cap off the line when doing the swap. Full description of product says "brake line." haha

Had a lower piston seize in my drivers side caliper at 165k in my 05 gx470. After hours of research I think i’m gonna go with the gx460/2010-13 4R caliper/rotors/pads setup. Regarding the calipers, should I go with a junkyard set of oem calipers $150 or so (provided they check out) or lexus rebuilds from the dealer go with the worldpac/auto zone/oriellys Rebuilds route? I know some of the rebuild brands are to be avoided. I believe i’m gonna go with akebono pads and rotors. Whats the best setup guys?

Had a lower piston seize in my drivers side caliper at 165k in my 05 gx470. After hours of research I think i’m gonna go with the gx460/2010-13 4R caliper/rotors/pads setup. Regarding the calipers, should I go with a junkyard set of oem calipers $150 or so (provided they check out) or lexus rebuilds from the dealer go with the worldpac/auto zone/oriellys Rebuilds route? I know some of the rebuild brands are to be avoided. I believe i’m gonna go with akebono pads and rotors. Whats the best setup guys?
I've been very happy with the Powerstop kit (red) from RockAuto. You can get the same ones off of Amazon for a bit more $$. I'm trying the Carbon pads and really like them. NOTE: Powerstop and Callahan are both remanufactured calipers, and I have zero complaints after 2 months of driving. Low brake dust and quiet operation.

I've been very happy with the Powerstop kit (red) from RockAuto. You can get the same ones off of Amazon for a bit more $$. I'm trying the Carbon pads and really like them. NOTE: Powerstop and Callahan are both remanufactured calipers, and I have zero complaints after 2 months of driving. Low brake dust and quiet operation.

Nice! Can you link the setup you got? There seems to be a bunch that range from $300-$1000. How is the s stopping power venture the stock setup?

I contemplated the junk yard OE, but realized all the "rebuilds" are OE that have been cleaned up with a rebuild kit (pistons, gaskets, etc) for the same or lower price, and a warranty. That's why you have to send in your calipers when you buy the Centric, PowerStop, etc. For some reason the Callahan's are OE rebuilds for $100ish (pair) on Amazon, zinc paint to avoid rust, 1 year warranty (I believe), and no requirement to send them my calipers. I didn't see any complaints on any of the forums from people that were using them, so I'm giving them a shot. I'll send pics when they arrive this week.

Like I mentioned, I have the GX470 PowerStop front rotors and Z36 pads on currently. The stopping power is amazing, but I'm having the pulsing again after 9,000 miles.

Last edited:
In case there was any doubt whether the Centric & StopTech SSBLs were the same product. I ordered the Centric SSBL. This is what arrived...

Stop Tech SSBL front.jpg

Stop Tech SSBL rear.jpg

Notice the "Distributed by Centric!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom