Remanufactured Calipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. Callahan could have sent better pics to Amazon. They left plenty of room for doubt. But when I unpacked them, I was very impressed. It looks like a very good refresh.

I will definitely be doing the "bed in" process, especially since I have PowerStop rotors and pads to install on the rear. I bought the front and rear set last year, but the rears did not need to be changed at the time.

Last edited:
Well, operation GX460 Brake Conversion happened Nov 1. I replaced the stock front 470 calipers with remanufactured 460 calipers from Callahan (via Amazon). Front rotors went from 470 PowerStop slotted & drilled, to 460 Raybestos performance rotors. And finally, I upgraded the brake lines to the StopTech (Centric) steel braided lines. Overall it was a straight forward plug & play.

The only thing I had difficulty with were the brake lines. If you do this conversion, make sure to keep the connections between the solid lines and flex line loosened until you get the geometric shape of the flex line in place with the mount and get the pin/clip back in. Everything else was straight forward.

I've been driving it for about a week, and the brakes feel great, although I haven't done any towing with them yet. I will report back periodically with an update on whether this expense was worth it, or not. So far, they feel great!

Last edited:
Before with PowerStop rotors & 470 calipers...
_1101200849_HDR.jpg

Original brake lines...
_1101200849a.jpg

The plugs that came with the new brake lines are to insert in the end during installation to keep the brake fluid from draining out. Afterwards, they can be used as a cap for the bleeder valves.

1101200950b.jpg
1101200949a.jpg

THE AFTER! I placed a label on the new brake lines that these are GX460 rotors & calipers in case anyone else is tooling around under here in the future.

Driver side...
1101201132.jpg

Passenger side...
1101201412b.jpg

Last edited:
Total cost of conversion:

Callahan remanufactured calipers (Amazon) $120.36
Raybestos rotors (carid.com) $163.43
StopTech (Centric) steel braided lines (Amazon) $45.60
Dorman speed bleeder valves (Amazon) $15.26
Labor $0 (Sunday morning)

TOTAL $344.65

Last edited:
Total cost of conversion:

Callahan remanufactured calipers (Amazon) $120.36
Raybestos rotors (carid.com) $163.43
StopTech (Centric) steel braided lines (Amazon) $45.60
Dorman speed bleeder valves (Amazon) $15.26
Installation $0 (Sunday morning)

TOTAL $344.65
Well Done Mate!!

Is there a difference between 2010-2015 GX460 and 2016+ GX460 Calipers? I ordered the 2016+ calipers from my lexus because they were cheaper. I'm hoping these fit in 17" wheels.

Is there a difference between 2010-2015 GX460 and 2016+ GX460 Calipers? I ordered the 2016+ calipers from my lexus because they were cheaper. I'm hoping these fit in 17" wheels.
They made some design changes in 2016, and everything I read said the 2016+ 460 calipers would not work on the 470.

They made some design changes in 2016, and everything I read said the 2016+ 460 calipers would not work on the 470.
Thanks,

I just returned 2016+ for the previous gen ones. 2010-2015s were $17 more for each

Good to hear that everything is good so far. You convinced me to upgrade my brakes to the gx460 brakes since I get a shudder under moderate braking when at highway speeds. Figured I could use new calipers since what I have are 15 years old. But I did go with centric instead of Calahan though.

Today's deliveries!!

View attachment 2471216View attachment 2471217

Initial thoughts on the Raybestos rotors & Callahan calipers....WOW!! Both look better than expected. Yeah, I know, let's wait for the performance test. Hitting the road this weekend, so hoping to have it completed next weekend. I'll do plenty of posting when it happens.
After a 'few' miles, what do you think of the calipers?

Like I mentioned, I have the GX470 PowerStop front rotors and Z36 pads on currently. The stopping power is amazing, but I'm having the pulsing again after 9,000 miles.
Late to your message. but some types of pulsing can come from old/contaminated brake fluid.

I've put on just over 7k miles. Loving the conversion. No pulsating whatsoever. So far, well worth the investment. About 300 miles ago, I ditched the PowerStop front pads and put on Akebono. The PowerStops had about 19k miles. I just never liked them. Always felt like there were chucks of metal in the one pad, and scrapes on the rotor confirmed that. Akebonos feel great. Went on a easy-ish downhill offroad trip Saturday (Schnebly HIll Rd, AZ), and everything worked like a champ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom