Reliable NYC mechanic for FJ Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruisin' Becky

#LandcruiserLife
Threads
Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while... I moved to NYC and need to find a reliable (and reasonably priced) mechanic that can work on my cruiser. I was told by my mechanic in GA that my best bet for my fj80 is to have the engine replaced! I would like to get a second opinion!

Anyone know of good one in the area or near NYC or even in surrounding cities? I think I'm going to have to tow my baby up there!! :frown::crybaby:

Thanks guys!

Bump for Becky,
Also can you tell us the year and symptoms?

Tyler!

It's a 1995 and the engine definitely grinds when driving...

My mechanic says that there is no other way to fix my baby but to replace the engine... if I do replace the engine, does anyone know the approximate cost in the NYC area??

Thanks guys!!!!

I haven't used him, but some I have heard some good things about Jose at http://web.me.com/phlite/MetroLandCruisers/Welcome.html .
I'll most likely be bringing my '97 down to him sometime in Nov. just for general maint, some overdue baselining and to check out his shop.

Otherwise, there is this old thread with mechanics by state: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/349535-cruiser-mechanics-listed-state.html

I tried posting up a similar question on the Gotham City sub-forum ( NY- Gotham City Land Cruisers ) with only one response which was a shop called Krumm Welding. I was expecting a greater response, but I guess GCLC doesn't have anybody reading their forum.

Wish I could be more help, good luck with your LC in NYC.

Bob

grinding noise? are you sure it is not the transmission or maybe accessory drive related?

I have heard good things about Jose@Metro.

Last edited:
I guess grinding the wrong kind of word to describe it...

Knocking is probably a better word... It knocks so loud! I'm worried it's shot to kaput...

Does anyone know an approximation of how much a new engine would run me?? Would it be better to try to have my current engine rebuilt???

Becky,

Jose Rivera of Metro Land Crusiers (973) 943-1705
He is an LC nut and a good mechanic. He does excellent body work and has moved to a new location in Jersey with a complete body shop.

Dave Crum of Crum's Custom Welding (973) 600-9178
Dave is a professional welder and metal fabricator. He has a complete fabrication/machine shop in Butler, NJ with 2 post lift.

Both of these guys are Cruiser guys, but I'm not certain they would do a motor rebuild on your 1FZ-FE motor. However I'm sure they have contacts with local shops that would. Reach out to them and let them take a listen to your truck.

Join the GCLC mail list and try to hook up with one of us. I'm in midtown 3-4 days a week and there are a bunch of us throughout the area that would be happy to help.
gothamcitycruisers : Gotham City Land Cruisers (gclcny.com)

You have access to Toyota parts at a significant discount through Dan at American Toyota, John Hocker at Sierra Toyota, and others.

There are many threads with detailed pictures of motor rebuilds on this forum to help any mechanic with specific questions.

I tried posting up a similar question on the Gotham City sub-forum ( NY- Gotham City Land Cruisers ) with only one response which was a shop called Krumm Welding. I was expecting a greater response, but I guess GCLC doesn't have anybody reading their forum.

Did you read the sticky note on the top of the GCLC forum page that says, "Please be sure to join the GCLC mail list on Yahoo. It is our primary means of communication throughout the GCLC membership."

Wow Guys, thanks!

Yeah, I just joined the GLCNY. This is so depressing. I'm in need to find a mechanic that is affordable and good!

Thanks Jonheld for your recommendations!!

Took my lx450 to metro land cruisers for a full check up after purchasing it. Jose is a real nice professional guy and never had any problems.

Did you read the sticky note on the top of the GCLC forum page that says, "Please be sure to join the GCLC mail list on Yahoo. It is our primary means of communication throughout the GCLC membership."

Thanks Jonheld, I did check the yahoo group before posting and didn't find much other than the metro and Krum recommendations. No offense intended but it's just much easier to read the ih8mud forum than a bunch of email messages, so I posted here.

Glad you like metro too; my LC is in PA right now but I plan on garaging the Audi sedan for the worst part of the winter and using the LC, so I need a qualified guy to give it the once over before using it for longer trips. Hopefully the LC with the stock Michelin LTX tires will give snow performance close to what I get with the Audi and Blizzaks.

Metro Land Cuisers

When I frist bought my LX I took it there for a full check up-- He spent a couple of days checking everything...had to do some simple maintenance, gave me a thumbs up, and I've never needed to see him since (knock on wood).

He is located in Bellville NJ and his number is 973-943-1705.

Good luck and look on the bright side---perfect time for a diesel conversion!

I haven't used him, but some I have heard some good things about Jose at http://web.me.com/phlite/MetroLandCruisers/Welcome.html .
I'll most likely be bringing my '97 down to him sometime in Nov. just for general maint, some overdue baselining and to check out his shop.

Otherwise, there is this old thread with mechanics by state: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/349535-cruiser-mechanics-listed-state.html

Wish I could be more help, good luck with your LC in NYC.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom