RedArc Tow Pro Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

silly question, but honestly, I am electronically impaired....where is everyone mounting the grounding wire for these redarc controllers? i just got my LC new last week and have a redarc TP Elite to install this weekend. Thanks!
Once you take the panels off around the steering wheel which you need to do anyways for the install. You'll see a metal bracket near the steering wheel that has a bolt going thru it. I used that for my ground.

I just redid mine and don't recall needing to ground to the chassis. I just plugged the Redarc harness into the control box and into the factory plug under the dash (I spliced the Redarc harness into the factory plug and pigtail). Did I miss a step? This is the third tow pro elite install I've done on a Toyota Land Cruiser and Tundra, and they have always worked without an extra ground.

FE7FBA33-256E-4D8D-9DFF-8ACBB6A2F0F7.jpeg

Last edited:
I just redid mine and don't recall needing to ground to the chassis. I just plugged the Redarc harness into the control box and into the factory plug under the dash (I spliced the Redarc harness into the factory plug and pigtail). Did I miss a step? This is the third tow pro elite install I've done on a Toyota Land Cruiser and Tundra, and they have always worked without an extra ground.
I can't remember if I had to ground my redarc with an extra wire, but I know I did use that spot to ground the Tekonsha I had in before the redarc. I just assumed I did the same with the redarc...

Mine did have a white wire. I just @afgman786 I used one of the bolts on the metal framework under the steering wheel.

As others have said, IF you have the proper wiring harness it is very simple. I use Redarc's TPH-021 wiring harness. If I put aside my original attempt which was to splice the wires (something I had no experience with) then the biggest learning curve was figuring out how to remove the plastic dash covers.

@CharlieS as @Dan Higgins mentioned. If you buy the harness from them you do have an extra ground wire that gets bolted to that metal plate. I double checked there website after responding to you to make sure.
Screenshot_20210213-102216_Chrome.jpg

Interesting! The one that came with my Tow Pro elite only has four wires, and the white wire is a single lead, not a dual lead like the one shown. I wonder why they are different?

80F77DD4-BF6D-4FF7-810F-4AA014C14885.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting! The one that came with my Tow Pro elite only has four wires, and the white wire is a single lead, not a dual lead like the one shown. I wonder why they are different?

View attachment 2583934
Certain harnesses on their website that are plug and play also don't require an external ground. But the ones they offer for Toyota do for some reason.

If you read the details for that product (TPH-021) on the Redarc site, if is for the 4Runner. I wonder if the 4Runner has an issue with the ground? Like I said, mine has worked fine on multiple Land Cruisers and a Tundra without an extra ground wire. I think the 200 crowd can probably safely install without this ground (or with it if so desired). I wouldn't lose sleep if you don't have it though.

Feeling stupid... I’ve put my fair share of switches in but what am I missing? The Toyota switch plate does not fit in my spot and Redarc sent a second one and still doesn’t fit. Had the whole thing taken apart and ready to install and last step to finish was to put the plate on and here we are.... the switch plate is too wide to fit in the slot next to the compressor switch.

Did you modify or how did your get yours to fit in the slot?

8D06CB21-F684-41D6-98E3-491067796611.jpeg

652295A6-D3ED-41F2-B42C-18F13B543233.jpeg

Looks like you have the wrong one. The correct one snaps right in. I got mine from eTrailer:

8FFB82A3-2DCD-43B6-8459-12F1930EEFAF.jpeg

note that it doesn't come with the "e" on it as pictured, I think that is eTrailer's watermark.

Looks like you have the wrong one. The correct one snaps right in. I got mine from eTrailer:

View attachment 2596998
note that it doesn't come with the "e" on it as pictured, I think that is eTrailer's watermark.
Thanks... wonder how they sent me the wrong one twice....agh

Has anyone mounted the remote to the right side of the steering wheel? That would be the more traditional spot for a brake controller to naturally use your right hand to adjust it while driving/braking. If so, where did you mount the control box under the dash? I have seen it mounted to the ECU when running it on the left side of the steering wheel but without tearing everything apart just yet I am not sure if the harness will reach that far for a right side remote.
I literally broke my head over this. I have never towed with my cruiser. Hopefully that will change soon.
My experience with towing is with Ford trucks that have their factory installed controller to the right of the steering wheel.

I'm right handed and I highway cruise leaned back in the seat holding the wheel with my left hand. If I'm backing up into a campsite I'm usually looking over my right shoulder using my left hand to steer. I have never thank goodness had to mess with the controller very much while towing.

However, with a blank canvas and thus the ability to decide on not only the brake controller but the position of its remote I opted to have the remote to the LEFT of the steering wheel. The reason is that if I ever have to use the remote in manual to apply the trailer's brakes it will likely be in a white knuckle situation. In that case I would want my dominant right hand on the wheel.

I think.

An alternative I have not seen suggested...this is where I put mine. Easy to see. Easy to reach. Hidden when not in use. And I never use the cigarette lighter.

63615992770__505A502A-8913-498C-8EF5-CF0FE590E003.jpg
IMG_5667.jpg
IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5666.jpg

Inaugural tow. Did great. The Redarc was making me a little nervous in that it calibrated for a long time...but then worked perfectly.

I can also confirm that the Redarc TPH-021 harness worked perfectly for my 2013 LX570. I did ground the white wire that came with the eyelet.

IMG_5672.jpg
IMG_5671.jpg

Looks good! (Though it looks like someone sat on your trailer). ;) I certainly love the Redarc.
Feeling stupid... I’ve put my fair share of switches in but what am I missing? The Toyota switch plate does not fit in my spot and Redarc sent a second one and still doesn’t fit. Had the whole thing taken apart and ready to install and last step to finish was to put the plate on and here we are.... the switch plate is too wide to fit in the slot next to the compressor switch.

Did you modify or how did your get yours to fit in the slot?

View attachment 2596992

View attachment 2596993

As @CharlieS said, you ended up with the wrong one. Speaking from experience! I had to go back and order the correct one. Sorry. The actual item isn't expensive. But I think the shipping was twice the cost of the switch blank itself.

Also, this is the cover plate I used once the cigarette lighter was removed. I did not have to order a special one. All I had to do was drill out a small slot at the top (of the ashtray assembly) to coincide with the key of the new Redarc plate (red circle). I put the black rubber padding on the back of the plate (included in the Redarc box), and it snapped snugly in place.

1614628051739.png

Last edited:
Is this better?!? 😁 (Past LX470 set-up)

View attachment 2600099
:) I must say there have been times when I very much would have preferred to have less exposure to the wind. Whether it be better fuel efficiency or less effect from side winds. Pretty cool seeing you towing that trailer on the beach!

Pretty cool seeing you towing that trailer on the beach!

We usually do a night a few times per year, during the off-months when there is significantly less activity.

1614625780013.png

1614625826199.png

1614625865822.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom