RedArc Tow Pro Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reinforcing what @Cruisin911 said, I installed mine on the right side of the wheel. I prefer it there for the reason you mentioned - it is in easy reach if you need to actuate it. There is more than enough harness length. I used the heavy duty industrial strength Velcro to attach mine to the flat side of an ECU on the left side of the dash. I installed one with 3M VHB double sided tape once, but it was very difficult to adjust the mounting location once installed.

Thanks guys.... I was going to be ding this same install and just about to look up all the part numbers, this post made it a TON easier!!!

Has anyone mounted the remote to the right side of the steering wheel? That would be the more traditional spot for a brake controller to naturally use your right hand to adjust it while driving/braking. If so, where did you mount the control box under the dash? I have seen it mounted to the ECU when running it on the left side of the steering wheel but without tearing everything apart just yet I am not sure if the harness will reach that far for a right side remote.
Well I must be different. I mounted the control button exactly where vegasfj40 did on the upper left of that bank of 6 switches. I'm right handed and want to always have at least my right hand on the wheel to control the trailer.

Well I must be different. I mounted the control button exactly where vegasfj40 did on the upper left of that bank of 6 switches. I'm right handed and want to always have at least my right hand on the wheel to control the trailer.
Interesting. I am right handed and I normally drive with my left hand.

Mine just arrived (with the switch blank) today from e-trailer. This thread is making me anxious about where to put it. I drive primarily with my left hand, but my right knee seems to live in the dash. I'm constantly bumping the pre-collision alert button.

Either side is fine, it's a personal preference really. That said, most factory brake controllers are to the right of the steering wheel except for those weirdos at GM lol.

My LX didn't have any blank slots so I removed the button that disables the automatic rear hatch. I never saw any need to do that. Just in case though, I zip tied the hatch switch so it wouldn't accidentally enable and stashed the switch just behind the panel within easy reach.

I like this location because in an emergency situation I can easily hit it with the back of my right hand without having to search for the button. I even practiced a few times and it is a very natural action. I'm right handed, but tend to drive with my left hand.

This is on the right side of the steering wheel, near my right knee.

lxBrakeButtonLoc.jpg

Interesting. I am right handed and I normally drive with my left hand.
I mainly use my left hand when backing up. It lets me turn my body to the right to see what the trailer is doing.

Confession: I haven't yet towed with my LC200 or the Red Arc. We're still trailer shopping; Covid has totally messed us up as we had wanted to start making trips this spring.

The brake controllers on Ford trucks, which is where I have experience, are on the right and I don't like them or their location. It's no doubt partly a personal thing. Ergonomics fascinates me so I wonder what kinds of tradeoffs there are. Ford is a huge maker of vehicles that tow and they decided the right side location was the way to go. I wonder what that decision was based on.

If I end up moving the Red Arc's button to the right I will make an announcement, throw myself at the mercy of this board and beg for forgiveness. :)

When I had a Tekonsha I ran it by my right knee like traditional brake controllers. When I got the RedArc I moved it over to the switch panel on the left. Took some getting used to but it makes sense for my long term goal. The right panel by the knee has traction control and center diff, I didn't want to take up 1 of the 2 blanks below that which are being saved for diff locks.

I also like how small the button is and how easily it can be moved around to a different switch location.

And, if you don't mind drilling, you can install it in a lot of other locations to either the left or the right side. Some of the Ed Martin builds I've seen installed the controller in the horizontal trim strip on the dash. I'm all for doing whatever makes you happy, it's your vehicle after all.

I mainly use my left hand when backing up. It lets me turn my body to the right to see what the trailer is doing.

Confession: I haven't yet towed with my LC200 or the Red Arc. We're still trailer shopping; Covid has totally messed us up as we had wanted to start making trips this spring.

The brake controllers on Ford trucks, which is where I have experience, are on the right and I don't like them or their location. It's no doubt partly a personal thing. Ergonomics fascinates me so I wonder what kinds of tradeoffs there are. Ford is a huge maker of vehicles that tow and they decided the right side location was the way to go. I wonder what that decision was based on.

If I end up moving the Red Arc's button to the right I will make an announcement, throw myself at the mercy of this board and beg for forgiveness. :)
The proper spot for the controller is the spot that works the best for you, not anyone else. My comment was more about you being right handed and driving with your right had. Just thought it was interesting that I was right handed and used my left hand more.

I tow utility trailers once or twice a week. During camping season I tow our 6K# travel trailer maybe a dozen times. I love the Redarc. As for control knob position every time I begin a tow after hooking up I test the trailer brakes by pressing the control knob. This reinforces the location and also serves as a check of the braking force. From time to time and because I use trailers of very different weights and different brakes and this lets me quickly adjust. i happen to put mine in the left bank.

Went to install mine yesterday, I do not seem to have a factory supplied harness to solder to? I found the plug, but where everyone else's post indicated that it was plugged into a dummy taped to the base of the pigtail, mine was just hanging out.

Either way, I'm picking up a Tekonsha 3040-P harness which should make this a plug and play install. I ended up going left hand side.

PXL_20210116_182455408.jpg

PXL_20210116_003352192.jpg

The harness with pigtails is provided with the new vehicle. Some have found it in the glovebox, some in the tailgate hatches.

I
The harness with pigtails is provided with the new vehicle. Some have found it in the glovebox, some in the tailgate hatches.
Yep, I checked around, but mine is a new-to-me 2016 and it appears this harness (along with the cup holder divider) did not make it past the first owner. I'm guessing because the dummy plug was already untaped it had been used for another controller that was removed before trade in.

Learned a lesson in underestimating my own stupidity.

1. Upon double checking the glovebox, I found the harness. Doh.
2. I had assumed the Tekonsha harness would be a compatible harness using some sort of standard connector for the Redarc unit. It is not. Don't be like me.

Last edited:
The proper spot for the controller is the spot that works the best for you, not anyone else. My comment was more about you being right handed and driving with your right had. Just thought it was interesting that I was right handed and used my left hand more.
Oh I understand - I think we're in 100% agreement. I was just going through my thought processes HOPING it all works out like I think it will.

I

Yep, I checked around, but mine is a new-to-me 2016 and it appears this harness (along with the cup holder divider) did not make it past the first owner. I'm guessing because the dummy plug was already untaped it had been used for another controller that was removed before trade in.

Learned a lesson in underestimating my own stupidity.

1. Upon double checking the glovebox, I found the harness. Doh.
2. I had assumed the Tekonsha harness would be a compatible harness using some sort of standard connector for the Redarc unit. It is not. Don't be like me.
The harness was in our glove box as well. The dealer had to tell me what it was and never offered to install a controller.
I was kind of surprised Toyota did it this way - Ford trucks just come with Ford's controller all ready to go. I guess it's better the way Toyota did it as you can pick your own controller and mount it where you wish. I do think Toyota could have located that plug somewhere so you didn't have to take the dash to the left of the wheel apart to get at it
I opted to pay someone to do that. A man's gotta know his limitations after all. :cool:

Once you learn how the dash comes apart, it is 15 minutes in and out, maybe less. The Redarc brake controller is literally plug and play. I totally get how some people may opt not to do it, but if you have any DIY interest/skills, a 10mm ratchet and a Phillips screwdriver, it is a very easy project.

silly question, but honestly, I am electronically impaired....where is everyone mounting the grounding wire for these redarc controllers? i just got my LC new last week and have a redarc TP Elite to install this weekend. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom