Red Line Cruisers FJ UTE fault code reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friend bought a Red Line Cruisers FJ UTE (FJ40 4 door).
It's an Icon type product that takes an FJ80 powertrain and puts a long 4 door FJ40 looking body on it.

Anyway, the finished product has a custom aftermarket dash/display assembly that does not include the original lights (check engine, etc).

Does anyone know how you would read the engine fault codes?
On my FJ62 you bridge a couple of the diagnostic port pins and count the flashes of the check engine light.
Is that how FJ80's work?
Is there a way to connect a test light to the FJ80 diagnostic port and count flashes?
How do you read FJ80 fault codes?

Thanks

No OBD
Since there is no oem check engine light, how do you read the flashes?
Are there pins that you can connect a test light to read the flashes?

You'd have to rig up a bulb, jumper the pins, then start counting. I haven't had OBDI in awhile so that's about as precise as I can get right now.

However, how does he like it? On paper, I like a lot about it. However the fact that they aren't making them anymore is worrisome.

What year is the donor 80? This determines everything...

You'd have to rig up a bulb, jumper the pins, then start counting. I haven't had OBDI in awhile so that's about as precise as I can get right now.

However, how does he like it? On paper, I like a lot about it. However the fact that they aren't making them anymore is worrisome.

Ok, that's good news. So there are contacts in the port that will flash a bulb.
I think he likes it a lot.

Then yes, you'll need to jump the diagnostic port and count flashes.

Remember that stuff comes from the ECU so worst case you can go to the connectors there if the wiring harness has been mangled.

Then yes, you'll need to jump the diagnostic port and count flashes.

Remember that stuff comes from the ECU so worst case you can go to the connectors there if the wiring harness has been mangled.

Thanks.
Do you know which pins will power a test light?
I know you have to bridge 2 pins to enter fault code read mode, but which pins will flash a light? Since there is no longer a check engine light.

Sadly I do not, I've never had to look into it. But I believe the FSM lists out the connections.

Look up directions on getting codes out of a 93-94 landcruiser. There should be a dark gray rectangular port with a flip over cover on the main engine harness just off the firewall. This is called the Data Link Connector or DLC. Open the cover and there should be a diagram showing the pin labels. The two pins you short are in here (TE1 and E1 IIRC but MAKE SURE before you do it) as well as another pin that is either grounded or given +12v (can't remember which.. if I have time today I'll look it up in an EWD) for the light. You can use a multimeter on this circuit instead of rigging up a light to save time.

As I often say, get the appropriate (1994 fzj80) EWD and learn how to use it. Incredibly powerful and has all of this info in there.

Look up directions on getting codes out of a 93-94 landcruiser. There should be a dark gray rectangular port with a flip over cover on the main engine harness just off the firewall. This is called the Data Link Connector or DLC. Open the cover and there should be a diagram showing the pin labels. The two pins you short are in here (TE1 and E1 IIRC but MAKE SURE before you do it) as well as another pin that is either grounded or given +12v (can't remember which.. if I have time today I'll look it up in an EWD) for the light. You can use a multimeter on this circuit instead of rigging up a light to save time.

As I often say, get the appropriate (1994 fzj80) EWD and learn how to use it. Incredibly powerful and has all of this info in there.

Thanks. I know the procedure and have the FSM for my 88 FJ62, but this engine is a later generation of 6cyl and might have a different pinout and procedure.

Thanks. I know the procedure and have the FSM for my 88 FJ62, but this engine is a later generation of 6cyl and might have a different pinout and procedure.

It actually may be the same as Toyota used he same diagnostic tools for many years.

If you look at your procedure and the pin index under the cover of the DLC matches you are probably safe to use the fj62 procedure

Ok..

IF there is a DLC, you need to jump TE1 and E1 when ignition is on to initiate the code display. ECU will provide pulsed ground on pin W to display the codes.. in the same connector +B is battery positive. Run a multimeter across these two terminals in continuity mode (plus beep if it has it) and the rest of the code display process is pretty simple.

Ok..

IF there is a DLC, you need to jump TE1 and E1 when ignition is on to initiate the code display. ECU will provide pulsed ground on pin W to display the codes.. in the same connector +B is battery positive. Run a multimeter across these two terminals in continuity mode (plus beep if it has it) and the rest of the code display process is pretty simple.

Awesome! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom