Builds Reconstruction after rollover - building The Champ 2. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
Needed to get the hi-lift outside the cab because I will be needing all cargo space inside for an upcoming 3 week road trip here in the west. I won't be running a roof rack because I can fit stuff for my wife and I inside with all seats removed so this is what I came up with.

I straightened out bent 4x4labs tire carrier and put it face to face with the one that carries the tire. Is not welded on and can be removed when ever. There is no photo with the tire installed but you get the idea.

IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5151.JPG
IMG_5152.JPG
IMG_5153.JPG
IMG_5154.JPG
Thank you to Luke Porter and the crew at 4x4Labs for doing an excellent build on these cargo baskets. The the mounting rackets are spot on and quality is top notch.

This is the first product from 4x4Labs that I ordered already built and powder coated. I did this due to time constraints regarding our upcoming road trip. I'm happy I did. The order was shipped when promised and I could not have welded these baskets
Together as nicely.

IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5423.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
We left Vacaville on September 8 and headed for Yellowstone National Park to begin our three week journey that will wind us up crossing the Mojave dessert near the end of the month. Currently we are in Provo Utah as we lolligag to Moab because we are one day ahead of schedule. Drove today from Jackson Hole Wyoming and cut the driving off early to get some good rest and do laundry before heading on in to Moab where we will spend a week, in what looks to be great weather, for what I hope will be an awesome week of wheeling. Here are a few pics from along the way.

Last edited:
There was so much to photograph between Jackson Hole and Provo but I was busy driving. The cruiser now has 276k plus and running and driving like a champ. Even on 37's and 4" lift she goes down the road very nicely. I was telling my wife that I can't think of a vehicle that can mash down the Rubicon as well as it does and then cruise the open road so well while hauling all our stuff.

I did have to hit a dealership in Twin Falls Idaho to address a leaking oil filter. Kind of odd because I never had this problem before. It was the big 15600-41010 that I installed 2000 miles earlier. Anyway, after a full oil change and a -yzzd3 installed, while I watched, there is still a slight leak. I bought an extra filter but I think I may just wait and deal with it when I get home September 30 if the current status remains unchanged.

Last edited:
Epic.
Awesome pictures.
I'm glad you are finally on your adventure.

Last edited:
So, many miles were covered and countless sites were seen during our three week trip.

Our travels lead us south from the Teton's to Moab where we spent one week. I managed to break the RR axle shaft on Golden Spike trail which sidelined us for two days.

Perhaps my onpinion but, Moab is over inhabited with Jeep's and Razor's. A tour company called Navtec flaunts a fleet of 80's and are a welcome sight on the main drag.

Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park is very impressive. The Hoodoos remind me of medevil Cathedral architecture but with much greater mystery and magesty.

Of course, the Grand Canyon's north rim leaves my vocabulary wanting! We did a half day mule ride down and back up on the second day. Dusty it was but the experience led me to relate Cruisers to mules......

If you go to the north rim, I can't encourage you more to run the 20 miles of dirt and rough two track road up to Sublime Point. We spent all day there and were disappointed when the sun set. I met a 34 year or guy there who had quit his job in Switzerland and put his Defender 110 (well outfitted) in a shipping container and started his trek to South America up in north east Canada. Our conversation lasted long but endured controversy of every type the whole time.

I have always been intrigued with the southwest desert and decided this trip was the perfect opportunity to check it out. We took I15 to Vegas where we restocked. Continuing south on I15 we took a left on Cima Road into the Mojave National Preserve. Immediately the feeling of solitude seperates you from civilization. Once on the Mojave Road you let your hair down (if you have any, I don't). The whooptydoos we a surprise for the first several miles. We started this in the late afternoon and headed into the setting sun that made the whole thing seem right. Soon we came to the Mail Box where water, advice, maps and a registry book stays for all to enjoy.

Road side camping is allowed but should be done where those who have done it before. The road is dusty and scenic. We enjoyed it! Don't forget to pick up a rock along the way to lay on the pile just past the soda lake and before rasor road. Turning right on rasor road will take you to a Shell station and the highway quickly.

We gassed up and headed across Death Valley. Somewhere during the first ten miles we encountered wild asses on the road, after that there was nothing for over 100 miles. The deeper you go the uglier and hotter it gets. Climbing out the west side was a bitch! Had the 80 spinning 3500rpm in second gear for miles but she prevailed.

The next morning we ate breakfast below Mt. Whitney and then drove north up 395 to Mammoth Lakes. This area is scenic and very expensive!

From Mammoth Lakes we meandered up hwy 89 through scenery that made me wonder why I had to leave californiana. As the road descended the mountain toward the valley where we live the air got warmer and warmer until the windows went up and the AC went on for the first time in three weeks and 4000 miles.

Last edited:
IMG_5562.JPG
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5595.PNG
IMG_5605.PNG

IMG_5569.JPG

At the Top of the World trail near Moab, UT. And, the golden crack and the ledge some call butt scratcher on the Golden Spike trail outside of Moab. I did all the wheeling on this trip with the front anti-sway bar installed since I was also covering 4,000 miles over the road. Front axle articulation was definitely hindered but we managed to cover some of Moab’s tougher trails with out a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5642.JPG
IMG_5652.JPG
IMG_5653.JPG
IMG_5665.JPG

The Hoodoo’s at Bryce Canyon NP Utah. My pictures are a bit mixed up. Also here is a pic of the right rear axle I broke on that butt scratcher ledge on the Golden Spike trail. You can see the rusty looking defective areas inside the axle shaft material.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I wish I had the time for an adventure like this. I made that same drive from Yellowstone, down thru the Tetons and then all the way down to Texas. It's beautiful up there.

IMG_5730.JPG
IMG_5761.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5810.JPG
IMG_5822.JPG

The Grand Canyon. I met the Land Rover guy out at the more remote Sublime Point (photo with my feet up). He was on his way from Sweden to Patagonia. His trip made mine seem small.

Last edited:

Out in the Mojave Desert on the Mojave Road which we traversed 100 miles of completely alone much to my pleasure. :)

The picture beside the building was taken because of the sign. This was in Arizona. You won’t see a sign that includes all of those words many other places.

Last edited:
IMG_5852.JPG
IMG_5854.JPG
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG

More photos in the Mojave desert. Yes, that is salt on the ground. The salt lake and the large pile of rocks are near Razor Road on the west end of the Mojave Road. As you travel the Mojave Road, pick up a rock and then add it to the pile as you pass by.

Many travelers, including myself, turn right (north) onto Razor Road toward highway 15 to end there Mojave Road trek. It just so happens, there is a gas station where Razor Road comes out.

Last edited:
78A10DC7-E832-4CD4-A36B-94165C58B8D2.jpeg
E2267DA0-1F37-49A4-9F04-E260E0D2AE96.jpeg
7B8DF4E8-2C16-421D-9CC5-6EB1139120F7.jpeg
0EE67A5B-DA54-4158-9651-B402FE1F3A2F.jpeg
935B7BF1-39EB-4513-9AF0-03EFB629BA7A.jpeg
It’s been about one month since I ditched the OME shocks and installed these Dobinson’s yellow shocks. They cost $125 each, are about 1” longer than OME “L” shocks and they are considerable less damped on compression, which I find produces a more desirable ride under all circumstances. Rebound damping is very comparable to the OME Sport shocks. You can see that the body of the Dobinson shock has a larger diameter. I assume this means it contains more oil and possible a larger piston. The bottom line is, I like them better than the OME shocks.

This part number pictured the shock for a 4”-5” lift.

Last edited:
AD6FDF6E-4590-4150-87F7-F3E5D78698B3.jpeg
5,000 miles after after doing a knuckle service my front wheel bearings were loose again and the driver side knuckle was leaking grease.

Upon disassembly, I discovered two separate problems. A close inspection of the bearings and spindles revealed considerable wear especially on the inner end of the spindle where the bearing clamps up and apparently the bearings had spun on the spindle. I called up Cruiser Outfitters and they had new Joint Fuji spindles and Koyo wheel bearings to me in three days.

Even though the driver side axle seal was recently replaced, it was allowing gear oil and knuckle grease to swap locations. What I found was that the tiny spring that’s on the inner side of the seal was missing. I found a piece of it on the differential drain plug magnet. I have no clue why this happened.

After running around in the Tahoe area for 4 days over Christmas, all seems to be normal.

039A1C41-29D4-46E4-BA01-33BE413CDFE4.jpeg
6FF06C9E-3A6E-400F-8F8B-73708AFF4AD6.jpeg

Pack the seal with grease on the inside where the spring is at. Extra holding power when reassembly is being performed. Can’t take credit for this idea. A guy on YouTube mentioned it during a knuckle rebuild video.

@baldilocks I'm guessing you run the MT4x4 arms upside down for the extra ground clearance, or is there another reason? I love the no rack/spoiler on your truck. So clean and classy.

@baldilocks I'm guessing you run the MT4x4 arms upside down for the extra ground clearance, or is there another reason? I love the no rack/spoiler on your truck. So clean and classy.
My MT control arms are upside down? I figure they made them off center of the bushings for that extra little bit of clearance.

In the beginning, I wondered if the zerk fittings would survive the rocks but so far they have.

Can you edit some of your above travel pic posts with locations of each pic? Grand canyon pics are obvious but some of the others are pretty cool but I have no idea where they are from.
Yes, you are right, I left out some pertinent info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom