Rebuilt F. Cold valve initial setting... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you send your cam to Delta Cam in Tacoma?

They did mine, sent the lifters as well. Mine were pretty beat up when I pulled the engine apart.

^^^ Me too. Delta reground my cam and resurfaced the lifters. Very pleased but they never sent me my promised tee shirt.

That's the guys. Friendly and fast. Shoulda, woulda, coulda sent my lifters to them. Live n learn.

Took my lifters to RR machine in Hilo. Old Filipino man said he could get rid of the cupping on the face of the lifter, but its slow because he has to keep the heat down, and I still have to finish with 600 then 1000 grit. Crossing my fingers...

@liko did you have your cam regrouned to any different spec, or OEM spec?

There are different valve lash numbers you'll want to adjust to.

I have another set of lifters from the 71 parts truck, if needed, I can send those to Delta.

UPDATE -I contacted Delta Cam and shipped them my lifters and the rocker arms for regrind. Their customer service has been awesome! While disassembling the rocker ass'y for shipping, I noticed the rocker shafts were scored where the arms sit. I looked at the bushings in the rocker arms and noticed some anomolies. Brass bushings? Looked dark but there were a few shiny high spots. Will try to attach pics. Delta said they could not help me with the shaft. My mechanic said a new shaft is the way to go. I will be searching for new rocker shaft(s) and the bushings for the rocker arms. Edit- will contact Delta cam and see if they can re-bush for me.

Pics, first one looks good to my uneducated eye...

IMG_20210825_203206.jpg

IMG_20210825_203129.jpg

IMG_20210825_203044.jpg

Some are good, some look like they got 80 grit sand papered...

IMG_20210825_203010.jpg

IMG_20210825_202055.jpg

No pics of the bushings, they are in transit already.

Four months later.....I received new to me (used) rocker assembly from marksoffroad, which I disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and only needed to replace the o rings, thank you mark! Installed reground lifters (thanks Delta cam!), pushrods, and the rocker assembly. Adjusted valves cold, verified oil to rockers with a drill in dizzy slot, then a new battery and a little fuel.....fired right up with choke, idled smooth for less than a minute, then I shut her off.

Plan for breaking in reground cam
-add stp oil treatment ZDDP small bottle to oil
-install fuel tank and line, fill with non ethanol gas
-fill rad with Coolant
-add brake fluid and bleed brakes, verify they are working
-wire up the front lights\horn
-hang the coolant overflow bottle and plumb
-start engine, run for twenty minutes at variable RPM (maybe just drive around the area for a bit)
-monitor temp + oil psi
-shut down
-adjust valves warm
-check for leaks (coolant, oil, brake, vacuum)

I feel like I'm missing something....

IMG_20220118_122403.jpg

IMG_20220118_122307.jpg

Bram

PLEASE hook up the lights before you start driving it. Call me superstitious, but the charging system and the turn signals are interconnected on the early rigs, and the last thing you need after being in the rabbit hole this long is an accidental short from a disconnected wire.

Glad to hear the rockers served you well.😊

Is there no vacuum line to your dizzy?

IIRC, its a vacuum retard dizzy, and so I unplugged and capped it.

I will work on the wiring first, thanks mark!

Update. Cleaned up wiring mess. Thought everything was working. I had the radiator out, no coolant. Started engine and ran for less than a minute. Ran really well, just by ear. No tach or vacuum gauge hooked up. Just wanted to hear if it would turn over and idle.

Installed radiator and plumbing, filled with red coolant 50\50. Coolant leaking from water pump weep hole. Installed new water pump and gasket with grey sealant.

Started engine again, no leaks, ran for a minute maybe minute and a half. Oil pressure gauge showing no pressure. Turned off engine. Checked wiring on oil pressure sender, nothing obvious. only one wire (does it ground to block?)

Bad grinding noise on Restart, immediately stopped. Metal on metal sound. Oil level looks good, verified oil to rocker with drill/screwdriver blade during assembly.

Called my mechanic friend, he's coming tomorrow to help diagnose the problem(s). I am guessing we are going to remove the valve cover and run the oil pump again and verify oil to rockers. Prolly drop the oil pan and look at bottom half, not looking forward to that. I have a small endoscope camera that hooks up to my phone, maybe look in the spark plug holes....

Any other areas I should pay attention to? Thanks in advance...

What distributor and distributor clamp are you using?

Using your cellphone to reach down into the engine bay, try and snap a pic of the dizzy where it fits into the block. It should NOT look like this!
EBD21C19-0A7D-40A8-94F5-66C04E192BDB.jpeg

Sorry for photo rotation. MUD would not accept original file size. And when I reduce the file size , it has a nasty habit of rotating!😡

Pic was a sad story of a local who spent 8 years on a legacy truck his father had bought new. He couldn’t get it to run well after the rebuild and had it towed here. I started it to move it and immediately knew something was wrong 😑. Put my cellphone down there, snapped that pic, and called the customer. :headbang:

Hmmm, stock dizzy and clamp.

IMG_20220719_104124.jpg

IMG_20220719_104112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom