Builds Rebuild of Trusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
Threads
Today I ordered an FJ60 rear axle housing to convert to a full floating axle.
After researching what it will take to modify the frame it looked like something that I have the skill set to accomplish since I did my own reverse shackle set up.

After weighing the cost of different options to install a used full floating that was quite high to have to replace the shafts.
The next option was to buy the kit to convert but would have RCV shafts and was almost as expensive.

Then I found out I can use FJ60/2 axles and found a housing to use for the conversion and found another source for a complete hub to hub FJ62 front axle that the price is not much more than I paid for the rear axle housing.

I will spend less for the two axles, then I would for the conversion kit and have 3 different assemblies. I can reuse the spindles, hub and some of the front brake parts for the rear axle. Then get new bearings and seals and rotors.
1642564650703.png

Today I ordered an FJ60 rear axle housing to convert to a full floating axle.
After researching what it will take to modify the frame it looked like something that I have the skill set to accomplish since I did my own reverse shackle set up.

After weighing the cost of different options to install a used full floating that was quite high to have to replace the shafts.
The next option was to buy the kit to convert but would have RCV shafts and was almost as expensive.

Then I found out I can use FJ60/2 axles and found a housing to use for the conversion and found another source for a complete hub to hub FJ62 front axle that the price is not much more than I paid for the rear axle housing.

I will spend less for the two axles, then I would for the conversion kit and have 3 different assemblies. I can reuse the spindles, hub and some of the front brake parts for the rear axle. Then get new bearings and seals and rotors.
View attachment 2898446
Can you explain in more detail what you will be using for axle shafts? It is not really clear from your post. It sounds like you are going to use some off the shelf solution, but I'm not understanding what off the shelf economical option would work for this conversion.

Did you ever consider just using a full float FZJ80 rear axle? Even shortening one side if you had to keep FJ60 WMS width, you'd be waaaaay waaaaay ahead time wise. All you need to do is trim housing tube and shorten one axle, or have one single custom axle made if you are not able to shorten the one side. And, you would have disc brakes with integrated parking brakes.

Based on your details and skills showed in that trans/tcase rebuild thread, looks like no doubt you have the abilities to do this, but unless I'm missing something, it seems like your going to have a bunch of labor into this that could be eliminated using a better starting platform. Not criticism, just trying to give an outside perspective.

Last edited:
Front Range in Colorado sells a full floating conversion that includes the axle shafts and drive flanges. They would order shaft lengths appropriate for FJ60 axles.
1642642848596.png

I have considered using FJ80 axles but they are wider than I want and they are set up for the completely different suspension system. I do have the skills for welding and fabrication, but am limited on tools and room in the shop. I also don't want to have to worry about getting the pinion gear angles back in line with the transfer case other than using shims to correct the angle if needed.

I have done the research on using FJ60/62 axles on an FJ40 and it made more sense. Back when I learned to weld I did my own shackle reversal and I would be doing the same thing I did then and cut the mounts off of the frame But then moving them out 1.5" and weld back on and do some minor grinding on the axle housing. I don't need to cut the axle housing to make it line up to the springs, but I will cut off roller bearing housing off of each end of the rear axle so that the adapter can be bolted on to the existing flange at each end of the housing and use my FJ40 spindles and hubs I already have. I will replace the bearings and seals and use new rotors and calipers my, rotors seem to have a flat spot and the calipers are frozen up. The FJ40 has not been driven since 1991.

FJ62 axles have a 4.1 gear ratio and both front and rear are 9.5" ring gears the front axle from a FJ80 is 8". I can reuse one of the differentials I already have for the rear FJ60 axle that is being delivered on Saturday.

Front Range in Colorado sells a full floating conversion that includes the axle shafts and drive flanges. They would order shaft lengths appropriate for FJ60 axles.
View attachment 2899446

I have considered using FJ80 axles but they are wider than I want and they are set up for the completely different suspension system. I do have the skills for welding and fabrication, but am limited on tools and room in the shop. I also don't want to have to worry about getting the pinion gear angles back in line with the transfer case other than using shims to correct the angle if needed.

I have done the research on using FJ60/62 axles on an FJ40 and it made more sense. Back when I learned to weld I did my own shackle reversal and I would be doing the same thing I did then and cut the mounts off of the frame But then moving them out 1.5" and weld back on and do some minor grinding on the axle housing. I don't need to cut the axle housing to make it line up to the springs, but I will cut off roller bearing housing off of each end of the rear axle so that the adapter can be bolted on to the existing flange at each end of the housing and use my FJ40 spindles and hubs I already have. I will replace the bearings and seals and use new rotors and calipers my, rotors seem to have a flat spot and the calipers are frozen up. The FJ40 has not been driven since 1991.

FJ62 axles have a 4.1 gear ratio and both front and rear are 9.5" ring gears the front axle from a FJ80 is 8". I can reuse one of the differentials I already have for the rear FJ60 axle that is being delivered on Saturday.
Got it. It sounded like you were going to go a different direction than a kit and had found a source for full float axle shafts that were not custom made. FROR makes great stuff and provides a ton of support and awesome products to the Toyota community. Good folks there. Look forward to following your build.

Was not sure how much detail to go into at the start of the thread.

The Axle housing has not arrived yet may be here today or tomorrow.

I have been having problem sourcing adapter flanges that are bolted on to convert to a full floating housing. But started looking around town for a machine shop and found we have a shop here in Riverton, WY that does axle fabrication. The shop can even make the adapter flanges here locally.

Was searching for a replacement rear differential cover and found they are hard to come by but was able to find a Nitro Gear discontinued aluminum cover and have it ordered. So things are coming together for this axle build.

diff cover.jpg

Just had a call from the vender and this cover is not available. Will keep looking.

The FJ60 rear housing was delivered today and printed some photos and took it to the machine shop.

Came back to the house and pulled one front hub, rotor, spindle and caliper. Did a quick wash of the spindle bearings and the hub and loaded up in the truck with the FJ60 knuckles I have.

The local shop will make spindle mounting flanges to bolt to the existing flanges on the axle housing and eventually make a differential cover for the axle housing.

I am waiting on parts from FROR and work to slow down. That maybe sometime this summer. But I am making money to buy parts.
I had to come up with a solution to the conversion flanges only bored to 3.5" when my FJ60 axle housing is stock Toyota size but solved that and will have a bushing made.
I also ordered seals and seal holders for the spindles and they have not been turned yet.

When I get a break and make it home I will pick up the parts I left at the machine shop and that way when time permits I can work on the axle housing.

The local machine shop was relived to reduce his scope to making two bushings instead of reinvention of the wheel to make flanges from photos and parts. At the most he may have to drill 4 holes for the flange on the housing.

The parts I ordered from FROR: Diamond Axle drive flanges, seal holders and seals will be here tomorrow. I ordered rotors from Red Line Land Cruiser the maybe slotted and drilled or just one or the other he could not remember will be here Thursday. Will have remanufactured calibers shortly this week.

I went back to the machine shop and picked up all my parts and brought back home. Still need the adapter flange to mount the spindles on, FROR has not done another production run so can't order.

The parts ordered from FROR arrived.
Diamond Drive flanges with ARB studs and the seal holders for the axle seals with seals. The Red Lind Brake rotors also showed up yesterday.

Still waiting for FROR to update the web page for the adapter flanges to convert a Toyota axle to full floating. Their production run is supposed to start this week.

While in Casper we picked up a 30 gallon air compressor with the capacity to operate an impact wrench. The work I did on the transmission and transfer case wore the 15 gallon compressor out.

Last edited:
Placed two orders with Cruiser Outfitters for a new set of wheel bearings, seals and gaskets and a chromoly spindle nut kit that will be used on the FJ60 rear axle.

FROR finally made a pair of Toyota full floating flanges and they unlocked the order page so I could order them today. They should shop soon.

It is outage season and I have to be home to take pictures. Getting the parts ordered and will have a lot of work when the outage season ends.

Ordered a Lock Right locker, new perches today. When I can get home, I have a lot of work in building this axle.

I got home yesterday because I had to leave the assignment I was on because I spent a night in the hospital in Yerington, NV because of an infection.
Came home to find several boxes of the parts and an axle dolly I had ordered while on my outage. Still waiting on the perches.

I am hoping that after my follow up with the PA in Casper I can get something started on this axle portion of the rebuild.

I`m surprised Yerington even has a hospital. Hope it wasn't serious and glad you made it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom