Rebuild of Trusty

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
I`m surprised Yerington even has a hospital. Hope it wasn't serious and glad you made it home.
It was not very big, but I had a white blood count of 25 so they took me to the ER and I spent the night and couple more days resting in the hotel room until my Brother Ubered from the Reno airport on Friday. Helped my load my truck and drove me home. The Drs and Nurses did a very good job to get me through it.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
I started working on the rear axle modification to full float today.
First, I assembled the axle dolly

NEW AXLE DOLLY.jpg

Set up the axle in the cradles and removed the oil seals

AFTER REMOVING THE OIL SEAL.jpg

SEAL REMOVED AND OUTER SLEEVE IN PLACE.jpg

Removed the flange sleeves from both ends of the tube

CUT THE FLANGE BEFORE REMOVING THE SLEEVE.jpg

OUTER SLEEVE REMOVED.jpg

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
I tried to pull the roller bearings with a couple of puller styles I have, but they just would not grip. So I bent the cages and removed the rollers and left the race.

CAGE AND ROLLERS REMOVED FROM THE OUTER RACE.jpg

I tried to bolt on the full floating flange adapters from FROR and found that the bolt pattern for the spindle is not the same as t bolt pattern on the flanges on the axle tube. I will have to weld the adapter flanges to the existing flanges on the tube and keep building. While it is the shop I will get the ends of the tube trimmed and the bearing race remove.

Not the progress I had hoped for.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
Took a spindle, bolts and the adapters to the shop with the axle housing. These are defiantly weld on adapter flanges.

Will remove the bolt holes from the existing flanges on the housing and make it round, counter bore the back side of the adapter so it will fill flush with the flange on the housing. Then, once the end of the tube is trimmed so the spindle won't contact the housing and the clocking is right for the caliper and the drain slot on the spindle is at 6:00 the adapters will be welded to the housing flanges.

Do you have a bearing driver set like this?

s-l300[1].jpg

Attach the handle on the tapered side of the appropriate driver. You'll need a piece of tubing that will slid over the handle and long enough to go through the whole axle housing. Slide the tubing in one end of the housing and attach the bearing driver through the pumpkin opening. Press it up against the race and then drive it out. Easy, peezy!

merbesfield

SILVER Star
I went to local auto parts store and rented a tool to pull the bearing. Took more time to drive to and from store than it did to pull the bearings.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
I will order the right style bearing removal kit. Then the problem is getting black pipe locally. I have a choice of Sutherlands or Ace. I could not get black pipe large enough for separation of a Birfield axle shaft. I live in Central Wyoming and a lot of the time I have to order from Granger or other company.

The housing in that photo has the same flanges as mine that will be turned down for welding the adapter flanges too.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
I can drive to Casper and get a length of pipe from Pacific Steel. I bought 2" square tubing at the Rock Springs site for my shackle reversal I did in college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom