REBUILD A442F HYDRO HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to drop my pan to take a look to see what might be causing my lock up to slip in and out but after seeing your pics... I'm not sure I want to knowo_O
That looks like a pretty good deal for everything you got. How long ago did you send yours out?

The trans was done in 2006, I've had the truck for ~ 1.5 years. When I did a fluid change it was quite dark..... but it seems to be solid in shifts including lock up.. just won't stay in.

As I dig deeper parts are looking in good shape Looks like only the "over drive" planet gears are messed up. Also the oil pump housing a gouge neir the oring seal I still need to dissemble further each part to see what is needed.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

update

Parts are paid for at wholesale automatics if anyone is wondering what involved in the torque converter install and valve body removal I am sharing the instructions included with the kit. The instructions say I have to test fit the torque converter first on the flywheel and make sure the bolts clear as the torque converter needs to sit flush the option is to machine/grind 2mm off the bolt to make it fit

Does anyone have a good source for flywheel bolts that are lower profile than OEM? perhaps I can run a torx-style flywheel bolt like found on German cars.

Attachments

• Billet Torque Converter A442F.PDF
    462.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Toyota A442F Valve Body Instructions.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
update

Parts are paid for at wholesale automatics if anyone is wondering whats involved in the torque converter install and valve body removal I am sharing the instructions included with the kit. The instructions say i have to test fit the torque converter first on the flywheel and make sure the bolts clear as the torque converter needs to sit flush the option is to machine/grind 2mm off the bolt to make it fit

anyone have a good source for flywheel bolts that are lower profile than OEM? perhaps I can run a torx style flywheel bolt like found on German cars.

Billet Torque Converter A442F.PDF

Toyota A442F Valve Body Instructions.pdf

The instructions talk about making sure the bolts are not too long and bottom out on the torque converter. The torque converter bolts if too long can dimple the case of the torque converter. Right behind the welded on nuts on the converter is the clutch for the torque converter lock up. If damaged can cause the lock up clutch to stay engaged and then it will shred the clutch inside the new converter. They are looking to make sure the torque converter bolts have 2mm of clearance before the threads bottom out. Make sure you clearance the thread side and not the bolt head side.

Toyota even made a TSB for it as well.

View attachment 1507167

thanks for posting links I will double check. I did not mix up my torque converter bolts. I just clarified with wholesale automatics that it is the "crank bolts on the flywheel/flexplate that can be out too far causing the billet torque converter to not mate flush with the flex plate"

so apparently toyota diesels come with different crank bolts. not to worry as soon as my parts come in I will double check both the crank bolts and the torque converter bolts on the outer ring.

How's your rebuild coming? Looking to follow your lead....

Just waiting on a few parts I'll have updates as soon as I'm good to go.

how did you make out with the rest of for project?, I’m heading to australia in 2 months and really thinking about buying some of the parts you bought.

I’m curious about how your rebuild has gone?
The auto transmission in my ‘91 looks like it might need a rebuild- got the pan dropped by a local shop and it was full of metal - grains bigger than sand, so I think more than just normal wear and tear.
Looks like it’s an excuse for a the nomad valve body at least...

Interesting thread. Wish I had this info before I sent my 1991 A442 out for a shop rebuild in Calgary. Basically the Torq, valve body and most of the gears were burnt or f**kd. A friend had a hydraulic 442 sittiing in a field on his farm so that helped.

Rebuild is done it’s just a matter of putting it in the cruiser. Still snow on the ground. I also rebuilt the transfer case with low reduction gears as well.

Looking for help and suggestions.

Just had the transmission installed on my land cruiser today.

Upon first start up I have a wining noise in park/neutral/and reverse
The noise is not in any gear such as D/3/2/L
I immediately shut the Landcruiser off.

I never drove the land cruiser still have the drive shafts out. Only thing installed is the transfer case.
Torque converter full of oil when installed I have a new oil cooler and lines fresh oil. I’m sure there’s no debris.
Transmission is full of oil too. And new oem bearings from Toyota went into the rebuild.

Here’s a list of everything purchased from Wholesale automatics.

1/ Extreme Valve Body Assembly
2/ Outright Heavy Duty Billet Torque Convertor
3/ Master Rebuild Kit with Extra Frictions
4/ Modified 2nd and 3rd Clutch Kits
5/ 2nd hand O/drive planet , drum and ring gear

I had the flywheel bolts machined for the torque converter as it was touching. (Was mentioned in the installiation instructions)

Update**
Pulled the trans out of the land cruiser
Pulled the valve body out air tested thw actuation of the clutch packs. Looks like #3 broke a snap ring causing the clutch pack to come loose and the friction brass gear teeth wore out. :(

Ordered another rebuild kit pn#137006AF TRANSATAR.

I AM NOT DEFETED YET!!!

7AC80D51-5C8E-4CCB-9BB7-906F688E6A70.jpeg

93277F00-405F-47A0-B858-F700F59F845F.jpeg

D921AE5B-95BD-4478-93F3-01D24F4706F8.jpeg

Update waiting for more parts. Not sure what happened here but the ears broke off the oil pump gear. I got a new one on order.
Almost back together.
4B1B8321-B81A-4F74-AE46-5F6738225508.jpeg
376D1FD0-69A6-4D31-8480-7B39585B1889.jpeg

Yes probably a bad install on my fault. Probably tc was not seated all the way in.

So I ordered a new oil pump and gear set. Was not cheap.

Transmission is back in the truck. But now I only have reverse sometimes and no 3rd gear lock up.

Anyone have any ideas to what could cause this. I’m gonna be dropping the pan and double checking I have all the gaskets correct for the valve body and pressure testing the clutches with air again. What a mess. I really could use some help with ideas on how to fix this.

So I have engagement in L,2 and sometimes reverse. No third lockup and intemetently reverse.

Last edited:
I look forward to you digging in to it. My trans was actually sent to Rodney in Aus for the extreme rebuild... but my trans has some issues. Won't stay in lock up 3rd or 4th. It's had the issues since day one when the previous owner had the work done. I have spoken with Rodney over the phone and by email, very helpful and generous with his time.

Good luck with the rebuild!

I may have the same issue. Did you figure out what was wrong??? Not getting third lockup or 4th overdrive and intermittently reverse.

I may have the same issue. Did you figure out what was wrong??? Not getting third lockup or 4th overdrive and intermittently reverse.
Sorry, I haven't opened mine up yet. My lock up issue was that it would not stay in lock up. I have fiddled with my kick down cable which has made some improvements. I will be dropping the pan in the coming weeks... I'll let you know what I find.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom