Rear window falling off track (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup - Have this problem on one rear window right now - happened before - years ago.
Was able to coax it back in place then - this time it will not budge! Tried everything I could think of.
Window fixed in up/closed position - motor unplugged - no workee.
Have yet to fabricate some kind of custom threaded-rod squeezer to move it.

Had the same problem with bot my rear windows. I tried a lot of these suggestions but I managed to get a short quick grip clamp inside the door and squeeze it into place. Worked beautifully!

I don't see anyone posting the correct placement from the FSM, so here it is:

Screenshot_20230903_125507_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Your channel is likely rusted and the rubber filler is very degraded. It's well worth replacing them every quarter decade. I tried all the hacks to keep the windows in the channels and the channels aligned, but in the end it's easier just to pull the glass and replace the channel and filler.

1693784756847.png

1693784792439.png

...and you actually have to follow the FSM for replacement. You have to beat it with a rubber mallet.

I cant seem to get the window securely in the track/rubber filler. Try a little windex? Any tricks? Wont budget and seat correctly.

Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle of water, spray on glass before attempting to hammer the filler and channel over the glass.

I placed the glass upside down on my shoes while standing (in them) then positioned the channel with filler where I wanted it and struck the channel firmly at one end with a rubber coated dead blow hammer. Once you get one end started the rest will pop onto the glass easier with a few more hits of the rubber coated dead blow.

Think of the channel like a metal spring clamp (which it is, sorta), it needs to be forced open so it can clamp onto the glass, it takes some firm hits (with a rubber coated dead blow for example) to force the channel open.

To find the location where the channel should be located you can look for a line left on the glass where the channel used to be. IME that line is hard to clean off so should still be there if you look closely. To be sure measure to double check for the correct location.

Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle of water, spray on glass before attempting to hammer the filler and channel over the glass.

I placed the glass upside down on my shoes while standing (in them) then positioned the channel with filler where I wanted it and struck the channel firmly at one end with a rubber coated dead blow hammer. Once you get one end started the rest will pop onto the glass easier with a few more hits of the rubber coated dead blow.

Think of the channel like a metal spring clamp (which it is, sorta), it needs to be forced open so it can clamp onto the glass, it takes some firm hits (with a rubber coated dead blow for example) to force the channel open.

To find the location where the channel should be located you can look for a line left on the glass where the channel used to be. IME that line is hard to clean off so should still be there if you look closely. To be sure measure to double check for the correct location.
You took the entire piece of glass out of the door? I was trying to do it through the door hole with the panel off

You took the entire piece of glass out of the door? I was trying to do it through the door hole with the panel off
That won't work. You have to use the procedure in the FSM. See post #43.

Don't be afraid for the glass, it won't break.

I put a moving blanket on the tailgate and laid the channel on that. I used a rubber mallet instead of a plastic one, because I don't have a plastic one.

Whatever you do, don't use a claw hammer. They are for nails.

That won't work. You have to use the procedure in the FSM. See post #43.

Don't be afraid for the glass, it won't break.

I put a moving blanket on the tailgate and laid the channel on that. I used a rubber mallet instead of a plastic one, because I don't have a plastic one.

Whatever you do, don't use a claw hammer. They are for nails.
Will try this weekend, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom