Rear window falling off track (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son opened the rear passenger window the other day and it got stuck about half way down. I took over the controls to try and see if I could finagle it either up or down to get it to work. I was able to get it to come down a bit more then it fell. When we got home, I took the door apart and was able to get the roller back in the track and the window up. But I noticed that when I cycle the window, as the arm comes down it nearly comes right out of the end of the track and as it swings back, it gets stuck. The track is attached to the window with a metal piece over a rubber gasket. It appears that this piece has moved forward about an inch.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to slide the track back into place? I tried two hammers - inserted the claw of one behind one of the track supports and then hit it with the other hammer. I didn't want to whack it too hard to break the glass. That didn't move it. Right now I have a standing order for the kids not to open that window.

i have a similar problem with my drivers door, the first time it happened was in winter the window froze to the door and when i tried to put it down the mechinism went down and the window "popped" out of the bottom channel. I took the door apart and that lower channel can be unbolted from the "regulator" [x shaped mech that allows window to move up and down]

The only way i could get the window back in the channel was by removing the channel and window glass and then with the glass upside down, i was able to align the rubber piece and then push the channel onto the rubber/glass, then i was able to reinstall the window into the door and reattach the channel to the "x" mechinism [regulator] when its normal temps out mine works ok, i was able to bend[tweak] the regulator where the guides roll up/down to gt it to work smoothly[er], it still has a "clunk" in it during downward travel, one of my buddies says the regulator is wore out , so i need to get a new one i guess .

its 5 degrees here now , the window hasnt stuck or popped out of the channel again, but it only goes down half way before getting excruciatingly slow and i have to help it back up, dont know if this is the wore out regulator or maybe dirty switches[they seem to work fine, except in the cold]

just for giggles i tried my passenger window this morning as well and it too was sloow, so it is probably the cold, etc........

doug hunt

You'll have to pull the glass and realign the metal track that's attached to the bottom of the window. There's something in the FSM that gives measurements for the distance to from the end of the track to the edge of the glass. I had to go through this process once and I think I used a screwdriver to pry the metal track from the glass.

I was able to force it with my hands ( wearing gloves) It happened to me in a gas station while it was raining.

I dont think it's that complicated

Mine just popped off the rail at the bottom..
Actually the rollers just rolled off at the end of the channel.
Happened to me at a mall out of town.. :eek:
SO I broke out the SwissArmy knife took the panel off and I was going to just shimmy it closed till I got home and figured it out. :mad:

Once I realized it just came off the rail, I popped it back into the rail, it was not difficult went in with no force since I just had my wife push the up down button for the regulator up and down while i held the window(Glass) till the rollers on the widow aligned at the ends of the Chanel, and then I just wiggled it in and it slid back in really easy.:grinpimp:
Once I got the window back in the channel, I just bent the channel ends slightly inwards to narrow the channel at the ends to prevent the rollers on the windows from rolling off again.
Its been running just fine for 6 mo now !
Anyhoo that was my McGiver moment at the mall parking lot.. :rolleyes::D:lol:

You'll have to pull the glass and realign the metal track that's attached to the bottom of the window. There's something in the FSM that gives measurements for the distance to from the end of the track to the edge of the glass. I had to go through this process once and I think I used a screwdriver to pry the metal track from the glass.

How did you get the window out of the door? I may try what Manuelsv said and let the kids have a partially open window. Who knows the metal track may slide on the rubber if the wheel can run out.

Good info so far, thanks!

I had this same issue. I found that where the window is mounted in its rubber track had shifted causing the roller to pop out. I used a screw driver and a set of channel locks to shift the position of how the window is seated in the bottom track. Once I moved it a centimeter or so the roller now stays all the way inside it's track when rolling the window up and down. Hope this helps.

20170129_153237.jpg

20170129_153438.jpg

20170129_153252.jpg

Same problem with my son's couple of weeks ago. We were able to move it in the rig with consistent pressure applied...not sharp whacks with anything. We were able to reach in from the speaker opening and grab the window and pull with significant force. Was super tight and moved very slowly...be patient. If not, pull it out as others have suggested. Not a big job.

At the bottom or the window pane, the glass is completely out of the bottom rubber and channel. Is there a way to get this back in. I agree with the alignment issues left to right. I bought new rubber channels for all the windows so I am excited about getting all the windows working. My right rear window is the one that came completely out.

Any thoughts?

Bump, if someone has had to re-insert the window into the channel - I would love some advice. Not sure how it came out and how it should go back in. It is the channel that this guy is shifting to the right.

upload_2017-2-19_20-34-48.png

It is the channel that this guy is shifting to the right.
Yes, its the glass channel.

if someone has had to re-insert the window into the channel - I would love some advice. Not sure how it came out and how it should go back in.
Most every 80 is in need of glass run replacement, just do it. $100/ea dealer price, most places will discount of course.

Its easier to remove the glass from the front windows, the rear is too difficult. For the rear, remove the glass channel, then slide out the rubber glass channel filler. Do not coat anything on the inside of the channel filler, but spray windex on the outside of it. This will help lubricate it while working, but will dry off (which is what you want). Put the filler back on the glass, then take the glass channel and slide it from the front rearward (inside the door of course). The windex will lubricate it, wear gloves. It will take some time, but will slide into position. Using the above pics as a reference (rear pax side), motor down the actuator until the roller is at the most rearward 3 o'clock position, last pick in post #7. Once the roller is completely inside the glass channel track as seen in the pic, you're set.

If the glass channel moves even a 1/2", as in the OP's issue, the roller will roll out the end of the glass channel and the window falls. Someone mentioned crimping the end of the glass channel, but I've found out the hard way, Mr T has reasons for his design, so I don't mess with it. Good luck.

Last edited:
I used a hair dryer to heat up the bottom rail. A heat gun would work too. Once hot, you should be able to slide the metal track the window sits in over quite a bit. I've done this 3 times. The last time I slid it over enough to drill out a hole and popped a small nut and bolt at the end of the track preventing it from ever slipping off again. I used a plastic bushing on the bolt to insulate it from rubbing metal on glass. This worked perfect. No issues. You will need to mark where the wheel's furthest extension is before drilling and bolting.

I had this same issue. I found that where the window is mounted in its rubber track had shifted causing the roller to pop out. I used a screw driver and a set of channel locks to shift the position of how the window is seated in the bottom track. Once I moved it a centimeter or so the roller now stays all the way inside it's track when rolling the window up and down. Hope this helps.

View attachment 1391796

View attachment 1391797

View attachment 1391800

Thanks for this tip. This is exactly what I had to do to fix mine. Couldn't figure out how to shift the track over a bit, until I saw your post. Thanks again!

I used a screwdriver to pry the metal track off while the window was in the door. I cleaned the metal track and the rubber spacer then dabbed a little rtv on the rubber to help slide it on the window and 'glue' it in place. That was 8 years ago. I've never had to fix it again.

Hi...just the thread I needed...could someone in clarifying the exact positioning that the rubber and run channel needs to be
on the rear window glass? is the channel/rubber assembly centered exactly center on the glass bottom? if not, where? or, how
does one go about finding the right spot? thanks in advance!

Hi...just the thread I needed...could someone in clarifying the exact positioning that the rubber and run channel needs to be
on the rear window glass? is the channel/rubber assembly centered exactly center on the glass bottom? if not, where? or, how

Hi Curtis...yeah...sorry bout that....when I realized what was happening I tried to stop it or delete...but, there ya go...newbie screw up...but thanks for your suggestion... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom