Rear Swingout DIY's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty clean looking!

Thank you!

Pulled it off and ran several welds along the inside seams.

20220920_131401.jpg

Once that was done, I ran just a few welds on the exterior. Just takes longer working on the exterior because I'm grinding everything down to nice smooth rounded corners.

20220920_140036.jpg

That was the intent when I decided during the parts process that I would be making the exterior welds open corners.

All exterior welds and grinding are done.

20220922_091458.jpg

20220922_100818.jpg

20220922_110311.jpg

20220922_105349.jpg

The question for say @cvenom96 and @Box Rocket are, did you guys use some kind of delrin spacer or something to prevent metal-on-metal, but allow the swingout to sit on when in the closed position?

Think I've seen that done elsewhere by others.

Hey looking good! Yes I bought something that had two thru-holes in it to bolt to the bumper and had a raised area at the back to act as a stop. I cannot for the life of me find it in my email though. I ended up trimming it down a little because I didn't like how high up off the bumper the arm would have been. If I find it I'll post a link.

**edit**

Found it!

Swing out Bump Stop

As I said I had to trim the bottom some to get it to the height I wanted but not so far that I removed the mounting face inside. I also had to trim the vertical portion since it was hitting the tailgate when I lowered it. As it sits now I have about a 3/8" lip for the arm to bump in to. Never had an issue with it going over and no rattles.

Last edited:
Well, a dumb moment.

I never bothered to open the 4XInnovations hinge hardware bag until now.

Seeing as how my original placement of my hinge does not give me the clearance below for the bolt, I could either drill a hole into my bumper or not.

I'd gain very little surface area to weld on if I drill a hole in my bumper so I'm opting to push the hinge out a bit.

This is not optimal, but I'm hoping gusseting can help maintain strength.

This will be the new placement of the hinge. Maintains space from the body and does not interfere with the tailgate.

20220927_104719.jpg

Here are some gussets I'll be adding, while maintaining access to the bolt.

20220927_104108.jpg

Some additional gussets will be added, due to the added downward force from the weight as it opens.

20220927_105846.jpg

Because of this, I'm largely considering making this a short single swingout, versus a full length as I originally intended.

This would allow me to add a second swingout for the passenger side. This would mean each arm would deal with a lot less weight than a long single arm would.

Thoughts?

I think with the gussets you'll be fine. I'd consider something internal underneath as well depending on the weight you'll potentially have on one/both arms. Mine flexed w/ the 37 on it until I added internal gussets. My vote is for two short arms. Mine are sort of 1/3 on the driver side and 2/3 from the passenger side. Driver's side has my jerry can holder/recovery boards while the other side has the spare and hi-lift.

I think with the gussets you'll be fine. I'd consider something internal underneath as well depending on the weight you'll potentially have on one/both arms. Mine flexed w/ the 37 on it until I added internal gussets. My vote is for two short arms. Mine are sort of 1/3 on the driver side and 2/3 from the passenger side. Driver's side has my jerry can holder/recovery boards while the other side has the spare and hi-lift.

You read my mind!

And I will definitely add internal gussets just opposite of the hinge for sure!

Largest tire I'll run is 35 (my current spare).

Unfortunately I'm on newer 33's at the moment so really I have no spare at the moment.

Just to possibly offer another idea....
I used to be using a single shear spindle hinge, but recently replaced it with a 4xInnovations hinge. My bumper wing design is different from yours but I also had part of the hinge sticking out past the back edge of the bumper and supported it with gussets. As for the bolt... I suggest putting the nut on the bottom. That way if the nut somehow comes loose the bolt won't fall out and let the swing arm fall off. If the nut is on the bottom the bolt stays in place.

with the nut on the bottom you could still drill the hole in the bumper so the hinge sits closer to the body. I welded the nut to the inside of the bumper so it's a captured nut and I just need to put a wrench on the bolt to secure the swing arm instead of trying to hold a nut and a bolt. Even if the hole you drill for the bolt is close to the back edge of the bumper you could shave down the nut to fit and weld it as a captured nut.

Ignore my very marginal welds. They're strong, just not pretty.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Just to possibly offer another idea....
I used to be using a single shear spindle hinge, but recently replaced it with a 4xInnovations hinge. My bumper wing design is different from yours but I also had part of the hinge sticking out past the back edge of the bumper and supported it with gussets. As for the bolt... I suggest putting the nut on the bottom. That way if the nut somehow comes loose the bolt won't fall out and let the swing arm fall off. If the nut is on the bottom the bolt stays in place.

with the nut on the bottom you could still drill the hole in the bumper so the hinge sits closer to the body. I welded the nut to the inside of the bumper so it's a captured nut and I just need to put a wrench on the bolt to secure the swing arm instead of trying to hold a nut and a bolt. Even if the hole you drill for the bolt is close to the back edge of the bumper you could shave down the nut to fit and weld it as a captured nut.

Ignore my very marginal welds. They're strong, just not pretty.

Oops, my 'mock up' is easily misinterpreted as I just pulled the hardware out and ran the bolt through.

In no way did I intend to run the bolt upside down that way.

But yes a friend did suggest drilling a hole into my bumper so I can sit the hinge back a bit and have more surface area for welding. However, the thought of welding the nut into the bumper did not occur to me at all!

Our bumper designs do vary, however yours is really close to what mine will turn out to be. I really wanted to "box in" the gussets the way you did but with the nut welded in place, now I can move forward and do just like you did!

Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea!

It's just that my OCD kicks in and I push myself to make everything as seamless as possible. If you look at the first pic, top view, you can't tell where the 4 different panels meet (with the exception of the bottom edge, not finished). That's on purpose because I made sure panels were flat/square with each other.

Well, some progress.

I hated the sharp corners on the mounting brackets so I went ahead and rounded them off. Also took the time to cut some plating for under the wings as well as some gussets.

20221011_114123.jpg

20221011_115850.jpg

Notched my bumper, quick work really with the plasma cutter. Since I can't set the hinge back far enough to just drill a hole for the long bolt, I figured this was the next best thing.

20221012_122534.jpg

Tacked the hinge in place before I burned it in

20221012_131550.jpg

Added some gussets for more strength and boxed it all in.

20221012_150904.jpg

Man that looks good. I was just thinking this morning I needed up an update on your build lol.

Man that looks good. I was just thinking this morning I needed up an update on your build lol.

Ha thanks!

I don't like to come back to this thread unless I've got pics to post.

Considering the 'hard part' of notching my bumper (point of no return) and welding the hinge in (also, point of no return) is all done, I just need to take the time to cut some plate and finish the small stuff.

I've got 4 gussets already cut, 1 of which I'll add on the inside of the bumper behind the hinge, and the rest for the swingout arm.

I also need to cap off the wings as well as create more plating for underneath.

The hard part will be creating some sort of arm/reinforcement that'll go from the end of the wing towards the frame rail....or maybe not only because I'm not under my vehicle to see. This will keep the wing from 'folding in' on lateral impact but also help support the weight of the swingout and spare tire when open. With enough force, I can see the wing move slightly as I move and twist the hinge.

Take a look at the Slee bumper. You can kinda see how their wing mounts are made. The ones I came up with are similar.

Take a look at the Slee bumper. You can kinda see how their wing mounts are made. The ones I came up with are similar.

Did you run a bolt all the way through to the other side?

If so, what length and size if you have those details.

I gotta go check. It was over a year ago and I don't remember what I bought lol.

This time, my lack of progress was due to - doing side jobs and having the case of the I don't wanna's :lol:

Measuring out the angle and distance.

20221211_113311.jpg

After cutting it down on the cold saw, cutting a half moon with the plasma cutter.

20221211_113316.jpg

Had to do this two different times until I got the length I desired.

20221211_114051.jpg

I read that you want to fully install the spindle setup as doing this loosely and torquing it down later will throw off your angle.

Left over Redline should be good enough right?

20221211_110816.jpg

Here it is getting tacked in the length of that 18 degree bend.

20221211_121919.jpg

Welded it all up.

20221211_123322.jpg

I had decided some time back that this would be a single swingout with the potential to add a second if I desired to do so.

Here I'm measuring out how far I want to go; decided to cut where I've got my square.

20221211_124407.jpg

Really liked the length, and once I got it "leveled" I went ahead and tacked it in place.

20221211_132709.jpg

Followed up with some welding.

20221211_135652.jpg

Capped the end piece too.

20221211_135636.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom