Rear Swingout DIY's (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about your injuries and thank you for your service. I did something similar to @Pascoscout for supporting the bumper wings. My daughter has my truck or else I'd go look but I "think" there might be some bolt holes further forward of the rear cross member that you could mount diagonal braces to for the receiver hitch. I think that's how the Slee receiver hitch does it. Reversing the direction of the angles like that puts them in compression in a sudden stop vs tension like you were looking at doing. I don't know how heavy a trailer you want to tow but just the logic in my head as far as how to beef it up. Certainly not saying it won't work as that's what Pascoscout is using and has been fine.

Here's a pic of mine before I put the recover points on or switched it to the new swingout hinges. Just for reference on how I did the sides.

canholder.jpg

Like someone said, progress is progress :)

Friend came by, since he's always willing to lend a hand though this time I just had him watch. Nothing heavy involved!

I'm still putting my garage together so there's that. Got to add a drill press which I'm stoked about!

Anyway, onto the bumper. Preparation first!

20220827_075701.jpg

Hit the crossmember with a flapdisc real quick since I'll be cutting this with my plasma cutter.

Yes I know it's concrete, but I still have a sheet of galvanized steel just to catch the slag. That and I've got my negative battery cable disconnected and a welding blanket draped on my rig.

20220827_075713.jpg

Got to cutting, and really I had to go pretty fast cause man this stuff is thin! Sliced like butter even at 30amps though I did wonder why I had to somewhat pry these off versus falling out.

20220827_081541.jpg

It's double stacked basically.

20220827_082909.jpg

Then there was the whole enlarging the whole as well as cutting out the back portion on the inside of the crossmember; that was a pain in the ass. But here it is all cleaned up!

20220827_110428.jpg

A quick test fit to ensure I could finally just grind away a bit to 'clean up' before I spray paint the exposed bare metal.

20220827_102157.jpg

Now that I've got a drill, I can get at drilling holes for the side plates that'll bolt into the pre-existing factory holes.

20220820_161530.jpg

Pic my buddy took of me in action; my back hurts just seeing me bent like that :rofl:

IMG_1119.jpg

Don't know if you're still looking for swingout ideas or not? Your bumper looks to be coming along nicely and is looking good. I think you made a smart move going with the 4xInnovations spindle/hinge. The axle spindle type hinges are fine, I've been using them on my own bumpers for more than 20 years and just this year had the only failure on one of them. But it was a 20 year old swingout that has had more than 100K miles of hard use carrying a 35-37" tire. When it failed I replaced it with a 4xinnovations hinge and the double shear design is much stronger and should give you decades of trouble free use. I'll share a few pics of my own swingout in case they spark some ideas.
My broken Ruffstuff spindle. It snapped when I hit a 2' washout at 70mph. But it was clearly fatigued before the failure.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

The tire and swingout ended up 100 yrds off the road into the weeds. Fortunately the guy following me wasn't too close when it came off.

One thing I did was design the dual swingout so that I only needed one latch. The driverside swingarm has a "pocket" for the passenger side swingarm to fit into and the latch on the passenger side keeps them both closed.
Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

My swingouts have evolved over the years with what I carry based on my needs. The latest iteration is passenger side holds 37" spare and a X lug wrench on the back of the spare. Driver side swingout holds a single Fuel can, a hilift, a 10lb CO2 tank, an axe and shovel and a secondary removable bracket for my maxtrax.
Maxtrax mount by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

This Rattle Free Bracket from DeltaVS is awesome! I use it for the axe/shovel. As with all the Delta stuff it's designed very well and works just as good.

Spare tire swingarm with the recently added 4xInnovations hinge

Basic layout of the driverside swingout
CO2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Don't know if you're still looking for swingout ideas or not? Your bumper looks to be coming along nicely and is looking good. I think you made a smart move going with the 4xInnovations spindle/hinge. The axle spindle type hinges are fine, I've been using them on my own bumpers for more than 20 years and just this year had the only failure on one of them. But it was a 20 year old swingout that has had more than 100K miles of hard use carrying a 35-37" tire. When it failed I replaced it with a 4xinnovations hinge and the double shear design is much stronger and should give you decades of trouble free use. I'll share a few pics of my own swingout in case they spark some ideas.
My broken Ruffstuff spindle. It snapped when I hit a 2' washout at 70mph. But it was clearly fatigued before the failure.

The tire and swingout ended up 100 yrds off the road into the weeds. Fortunately the guy following me wasn't too close when it came off.

One thing I did was design the dual swingout so that I only needed one latch. The driverside swingarm has a "pocket" for the passenger side swingarm to fit into and the latch on the passenger side keeps them both closed.
Bumper by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

My swingouts have evolved over the years with what I carry based on my needs. The latest iteration is passenger side holds 37" spare and a X lug wrench on the back of the spare. Driver side swingout holds a single Fuel can, a hilift, a 10lb CO2 tank, an axe and shovel and a secondary removable bracket for my maxtrax.
Maxtrax mount by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

This Rattle Free Bracket from DeltaVS is awesome! I use it for the axe/shovel. As with all the Delta stuff it's designed very well and works just as good.

Spare tire swingarm with the recently added 4xInnovations hinge

Basic layout of the driverside swingout
CO2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Awesome, I'm actually glad you replied!

Will come back to this thread when I'm on the computer. Your build thread on Tacomaworld spans for several pages and I didn't want to dig through every page but I did see some of those iterations.

I'll bug you if I have a question for sure; these are the parts I've gathered so far for the build.

20220816_192108.jpg

I did one, I’m sure I have some pictures, maybe in my ultra low roof rack build thread or the Cody’s white 80 rebuild thread.

If I did it again, I’d cut out the crossmember and weld in a structure to the frame.

When I did the rear with swingouts I cut a square hole in the factory crossmember and welded in receiver hitch and did some triangle gussets.

Also changed the rear aluminum step on the bumper so it folds up, easier to get at the hitch pin ten climbing under the truck.

View attachment 2978882

View attachment 2978886

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :)

After a few chiropractor visits, it's safe to say the nerve-pain is pretty much gone! :)

I'm still really sore, considering the adjustments are 3 times a week and pretty deep, but I'll take that over nerve pain any day of the week.

With that said, I thought I'd put a little more work into this thing.

Had to do a bit more trimming but after that, the pieces started to butt up nicely.

20220910_095526.jpg

Really screwed the pooch on the side plates since my holes were over 1/4" off. Using a die grinder was taking much longer than I wanted so I quickly slotted the holes with my plasma cutter. Unfortunately, this allows the factory bolts to almost fall through so I fashioned up a small "spacer plate" out of 1" flat stock just to get things aligned.

I'll make a larger plate, with perfectly spaced holes and weld it on. This area would be covered anyway.

20220910_112621.jpg

It is a pain fighting these large plates as they naturally want to curve. That and the 'curves' on the crossmember don't exactly help but that's alright...I've dealt with larger gaps on other welding jobs easily.

Was time to tack it up!

20220910_114150.jpg

Pretty stoked to see it coming together.

With the weather really warming up, I was satisfied with what I got done.

20220910_114636.jpg

Next up will be a combination of figuring out bottom mounting and extending out the sides for the wings.

For the meanwhile, my 'scrap table' gets put to use.

20220910_122735.jpg

Did a little bit of modeling in preparation of the wings.

20220911_111716.jpg

The square tubing is just a very generic mock-up since it'll have a single swingout.

20220911_114514.jpg

The front of the wing, towards the rear tire will get 'chopped' at an angle so ignore the flat face it has currently.

Just thinking of a way to run maybe flat stock underneath and tie it towards the frame rails; I could build a "U" and mount it to the factory holes underneath.

Not really a fan of running a completely large plate underneath the entire wing.

I really enjoy watching the progress. Similar to how I came about doing mine. The issue you'll run into with mounts for the wings is the bottom of the quarter panel. You have to angle down some then angle back up once you are underneath to get to where there are already some thru holes in the frame. Also on the exhaust side you have to contend with clearing the tailpipe. Mine are similar to how the Slee mounts.

I really enjoy watching the progress. Similar to how I came about doing mine. The issue you'll run into with mounts for the wings is the bottom of the quarter panel. You have to angle down some then angle back up once you are underneath to get to where there are already some thru holes in the frame. Also on the exhaust side you have to contend with clearing the tailpipe. Mine are similar to how the Slee mounts.

Yeah I keep looking at that and say "that's a problem for future Nelson" lol...

Getting a little more progress done as I brought my template idea onto steel.

20220915_101555.jpg

Fortunately I've got plenty of steel in case I **** up!

20220915_101710.jpg

Anyway, got started on the first piece and was happy with the result.

20220915_105339.jpg

So I proceeded with getting the second one cut.

20220915_111830.jpg

Just working on shaping the two up as I left a little excess in certain areas.

Want to make sure the two pieces as close to the same as possible.

Had to run some errands today but I did trace out some more pieces I'll cut out tomorrow.

At the end of the wing, towards the wheel, someone mentioned putting an angle to it to prevent it from becoming a catch so I did roughly a 58 degree angle.

20220916_144846.jpg

Definitely liking it seeing it from the other side especially.

20220916_145504.jpg

I plan on adding some 3" wide plate running along the bottom of the wing like so, and capping it at the end.

20220916_145634.jpg

Any criticisms are welcomed!

And yes, I will be adding some gusseting to prevent the wings from being able to collapse or crumple inward.

More boring stuff to add!

Traced out my steel and got to cutting.

20220917_093755.jpg

Liking how it's turning out.

20220917_102915.jpg

It's basically a kit now!

20220917_111356.jpg

Next steps are; weld base of the bumper, figure gusseting, mounting point for wings to frame rails, then get the wings all tacked up.

More boring progress; welded the base of the bumper up.

20220918_112254.jpg

Getting the exterior welds cleaned up. Specifically need to bevel the outer edges for welding up the wings later.

20220918_122415.jpg

Couldn't find my jackstands so I had to improvise the mock up on my vehicle.

20220918_124555.jpg

20220918_124736.jpg

Looking good. I would strongly recommend some type of brace from the forward end of the wing back to the frame, especially if you are running 35's (looks like you are) or larger tire. I was surprised at the amount of twisting that can happen in the wing portion once a swingout with a large tire is added. The twisting is happening closer to the bumper but makes the end of the wing move up and down. I'm probably making it sound more significant than it really is but I didn't want any of that kind of movement.

Looking good. I would strongly recommend some type of brace from the forward end of the wing back to the frame, especially if you are running 35's (looks like you are) or larger tire. I was surprised at the amount of twisting that can happen in the wing portion once a swingout with a large tire is added. The twisting is happening closer to the bumper but makes the end of the wing move up and down. I'm probably making it sound more significant than it really is but I didn't want any of that kind of movement.

Best suggestions come from those that have experienced a thing or two!

So let me ask, I was already considering stealing an idea from my friends rear swingout, and the one I had on my old 3rd Gen 4Runner.

I want to run either square or round tube welded to the inside of the wing (marked as a red X), and run that towards the frame rail (direction of the arrow).

20220918_124555.jpg

Thinking I could weld a plate to the end of said tube and use it as a mounting point against the frame rail.

Best suggestions come from those that have experienced a thing or two!

So let me ask, I was already considering stealing an idea from my friends rear swingout, and the one I had on my old 3rd Gen 4Runner.

I want to run either square or round tube welded to the inside of the wing (marked as a red X), and run that towards the frame rail (direction of the arrow).

View attachment 3118687

Thinking I could weld a plate to the end of said tube and use it as a mounting point against the frame rail.
That's the right idea. Putting that bracing as far forward as possible on the wing will keep it the most stable. If you ever think you'll go with bigger tires than you currently have make sure you account for that in the placement of the brace. Don't want to have to cut it out and move it because it rubs on bigger tires.

Pretty clean looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom